- Joined
- Jul 11, 2008
- Messages
- 5,222
- Points
- 113
Transport operators to press for fare hikes
By Christopher Tan
TRANSPORT operators SBS Transit and SMRT Corp are submitting applications for fare hikes later on Friday, but insiders are not holding their breath for any measurable rise.
This is because the Public Transport Council (PTC) declared last month that fare adjustments this year were likely to be far smaller than last year's average 1.8 per cent increase.
PTC chairman Gerard Ee has said that keeping the rise 'below one per cent' was a distinct possibility.
This, in part, has to do with a 'redistribution' of fares, when commuters who make transfers during their journeys will pay less than they do today.
For the past several years, those who make transfers, for example, from train to bus or bus to train, or bus to bus, end up paying substantially more than those who take a direct service to their destination - even if the distances of both journeys are the same.
The Government has decided that fares should be purely distance-based. With this, those who need to make transfers will pay less when the new fares kick in on Oct 1.
But those who enjoy direct services are likely to foot the bulk of the fare adjustment.
Four in 10 commuters today make at least one transfer a day. While their journeys involving transfers will cost less from October, they are likely to pay more for other trips.
As before, the fare adjustment is likely to hit commuters who pay in cash hardest.
But on the whole, the PTC has committed to keeping the average fare hike to one per cent or less.
And below a complaint... I agree with him. Frequency of some buses had actually worsen... No seat...Guarantee! U had 2 Tks God if u can even manage 2 get up the bus... New bus oso bery bad 4 old folks... So many steps at bus rear... Narrow walkway... Half of bus front is seatless... Cloth handle is make so high up lots of ladies having problem holding on to them... Oni plus is having LED bus no. sign... Once again jus an expensive nice 2 look at no goot to use vase...
i wrote to SBS Transit on 2nd of July and reported an incident when my parents (both in their 60s) had to wait for a feeder bus service (240), for a good 40 mins before one arrived. I had an auto reply that my feedback will be looked into. On 10th of July, after hearing nothing from them, I wrote again. Got another auto reply which stated that my feedback will be looked into again. I decided to write to them again on 29th July PLUS a call to their call centre. This time round, i was told by the call centre service staff that one of her colleagues was on the verge of replying to me. Until today, nothing is heard out yet.
To provide such service standard, I am surprised that they are still pressing for fare hikes!
By Christopher Tan
TRANSPORT operators SBS Transit and SMRT Corp are submitting applications for fare hikes later on Friday, but insiders are not holding their breath for any measurable rise.
This is because the Public Transport Council (PTC) declared last month that fare adjustments this year were likely to be far smaller than last year's average 1.8 per cent increase.
PTC chairman Gerard Ee has said that keeping the rise 'below one per cent' was a distinct possibility.
This, in part, has to do with a 'redistribution' of fares, when commuters who make transfers during their journeys will pay less than they do today.
For the past several years, those who make transfers, for example, from train to bus or bus to train, or bus to bus, end up paying substantially more than those who take a direct service to their destination - even if the distances of both journeys are the same.
The Government has decided that fares should be purely distance-based. With this, those who need to make transfers will pay less when the new fares kick in on Oct 1.
But those who enjoy direct services are likely to foot the bulk of the fare adjustment.
Four in 10 commuters today make at least one transfer a day. While their journeys involving transfers will cost less from October, they are likely to pay more for other trips.
As before, the fare adjustment is likely to hit commuters who pay in cash hardest.
But on the whole, the PTC has committed to keeping the average fare hike to one per cent or less.
And below a complaint... I agree with him. Frequency of some buses had actually worsen... No seat...Guarantee! U had 2 Tks God if u can even manage 2 get up the bus... New bus oso bery bad 4 old folks... So many steps at bus rear... Narrow walkway... Half of bus front is seatless... Cloth handle is make so high up lots of ladies having problem holding on to them... Oni plus is having LED bus no. sign... Once again jus an expensive nice 2 look at no goot to use vase...
i wrote to SBS Transit on 2nd of July and reported an incident when my parents (both in their 60s) had to wait for a feeder bus service (240), for a good 40 mins before one arrived. I had an auto reply that my feedback will be looked into. On 10th of July, after hearing nothing from them, I wrote again. Got another auto reply which stated that my feedback will be looked into again. I decided to write to them again on 29th July PLUS a call to their call centre. This time round, i was told by the call centre service staff that one of her colleagues was on the verge of replying to me. Until today, nothing is heard out yet.
To provide such service standard, I am surprised that they are still pressing for fare hikes!