• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Traffic Stop Red green light

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
While waiting at a busy main street next to a side street during this morning peak hours. A man on a scooter ( with a Malaysian Accent ) at the side street was waiting impatiently and said to me.

"Uncle, you must press the button on the pedestrian crossing, so that the green man will come on".

I ignore him as I think it is pretty dumb as pressing will not have any effect on the main street traffic signal. Yet, he kept pestering me, although I told him no such thing, as timing of traffic signal on main road are all predetermine ( may varies throughout the day).

That comes to a question.

It has been years since LTA adopted both the button and button-less pedestrian crossing with poor implementation to say the least. You must have come across at least one implementation that the slip road is without and the main street is with a button. What happens is if nobody presses the button, it stays red while the slip road turns green.

I am graceful to think it is because of old and new design and LTA is fully aware of it, but after collecting billions of $ from COEs, road Tax, ERP there is still nothing being done to upgrade.

Rather they prefer thousands of pedestrian to be stranded at the traffic crossing every day and look likes donkey that don't know what to do with their noses.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
that man was right, at some road junction vehicular traffic lights will change as predetermine but if you don't press the pedestrian crossing button, the green man will not come on

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
I ignore him as I think it is pretty dumb as pressing will not have any effect on the main street traffic signal. Yet, he kept pestering me, although I told him no such thing, as timing of traffic signal on main road are all predetermine ( may varies throughout the day).

Actually you are quite misinformed about the modern traffic system installed currently.

Yes you are right that if there are no push-buttons installed, there is a predetermined timing for each way, however there are also weight sensors below the road tar near the pedestrians lines (square tar lines) which overrides these timing if there are cars waiting on the sensors.

Another override on the timing is the push-buttons, which actually overrides the auto-timing to change the light faster, if you are observant, you will also notice some of the pedestrian's crossing DO NOT turn on the Green Man if nobody presses the button, even thou the light have changed in the opposite direction :wink:

How I know??? I was in this trade quite a number of years ago.....:wink:

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
It has been years since LTA adopted both the button and button-less pedestrian crossing with poor implementation to say the least.

Just one more note, it is quite silly to see pedestrians pressing the same button many times as they have the misconception that this will cause the Green Man to come on faster :biggrin: same as for lifts :biggrin:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
4 dose wif button 2 press 1, u muz press if u want 2 cross ...

otherwise, u cud b standing @ ze junction whole day ... ze grin man wil heck care u ...

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Actually you are quite misinformed about the modern traffic system installed currently.

Yes you are right that if there are no push-buttons installed, there is a predetermined timing for each way, however there are also weight sensors below the road tar near the pedestrians lines (square tar lines) which overrides these timing if there are cars waiting on the sensors.

Another override on the timing is the push-buttons, which actually overrides the auto-timing to change the light faster, if you are observant, you will also notice some of the pedestrian's crossing DO NOT turn on the Green Man if nobody presses the button, even thou the light have changed in the opposite direction :wink:

How I know??? I was in this trade quite a number of years ago.....:wink:

Thanks for the clarification.

As for the sensors, I am aware of that. However for a pedestrian to stop the flow of traffic at the cross road junction of a main street is a bit far fetch to me?!

More ERP?

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Just one more note, it is quite silly to see pedestrians pressing the same button many times as they have the misconception that this will cause the Green Man to come on faster :biggrin: same as for lifts :biggrin:

Don't play play. The button may have sensor to detect different fingerprint, so it knows how badly the demands are!:biggrin::biggrin:

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the clarification.

As for the sensors, I am aware of that. However for a pedestrian to stop the flow of traffic at the cross road junction of a main street is a bit far fetch to me?!

More ERP?

No prob bro :p

Yup it does but they do have a in-built timer-delay to prevent too many stoppages :wink: