• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tighter protest laws

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_353616.html

Tighter protest laws

ln-wong.jpg

Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng tabled a bill in Parliament on Monday seeking to enhance police powers to deal with illegal protests and other acts of civil disobedience. -- PHOTO: ST

SINGAPORE on Monday moved to tighten laws against outdoor protests eight months before it hosts a summit of Asia-Pacific leaders including US President Barack Obama.
Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng, who is also the Home Affairs Minister, tabled a bill in Parliament on Monday seeking to enhance police powers to deal with illegal protests and other acts of civil disobedience.

The Public Order Act will impose tighter restrictions on outdoor political assemblies while liberalising rules on gatherings for entertainment, recreation and social activities.

Under current laws, political gatherings of five or more people outside a designated free-speech park are deemed illegalwithout a police permit. In the proposed legislation, any political assembly outside the zone, known as Speakers' Corner, will require a permit, regardless of the number of people involved.

'It is necessary to update our legal framework governing public order and differentiate political and cause-related activities from recreational and social activities,' the Ministry of Home Affairs said in a statement on the proposed act.

As the social, political and security environment becomes more complex, Singapore needs to 'squarely address gaps in the current framework, to enhance the ability of the police to ensure security during major events, and to maintain public order,' it said.

Local dissidents have sidestepped the current restrictions by sending fewer than five people to public protests and using attention-grabbing tactics. Last week, three demonstrators in red shirts unfurled a banner against Myanmar's military regime outside the country's embassy in Singapore during a visit by Prime Minister Thein Sein.

The legislation is expected to be passed in time for the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) summit in November, which could attract local and overseas protesters, Mr Wong said in January.

The proposed law will also grant police the power to take action before protesters can gather at specific areas such as parliament and outside the venues of major international events.

For example, the police will be given 'move-on' powers, allowing them to tell protesters to disperse without resorting to arrests. As these meetings are potential 'terrorist' targets, security forces cannot be distracted from their duties 'by the disruption of political activists, militants or mischief-makers,' the ministry said.

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
HUH?

Regardless of number, political assembly need permit?

So if one person buay song PAP and tell other people in public, like that is breaking law also?

Then what if I comprain to me buddy that MRT is crowded? Is that making a political statement? Am I being a one-man political assembly? Should I go to jail?

This kind of KNN DPM also have. We are regressing to North Korean standards!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
another self-serving unjust law to protect their own power.

So how will sinkies gonna do about it? Bend down and open wider to be screwed again?

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Here we go again, more laws! Election must be near.

Best thing to do is to hire foreigners to protest, since they seem to be immune from the police.

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here we go again, more laws! Election must be near.

Best thing to do is to hire foreigners to protest, since they seem to be immune from the police.

Poodles are used to bullying non-violent people like CSJ and ordinary sinkies. Ever see the infamous picture of one CSJ sister being surrounded by Huge Poodle Army at the IMF meeting?

When Poodle faced with case of Geylang Doctor being punched or teenager beaten on MRT, they mm-kia (scared) to investigate.

When Poodle see Banglas demonstrating, they quickly siam tiok in case Banglas hantem them.

If you ever want to demonstrate, consider hiring FTs to do the job. Banglas can demonstrate for $5/day with nasi thrown in. For $10,000, less than the price of an election deposit, you can hire 2000 Banglas to scare the shit of out PAP.

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
HUH?

Regardless of number, political assembly need permit?

So if one person buay song PAP and tell other people in public, like that is breaking law also?

Then what if I comprain to me buddy that MRT is crowded? Is that making a political statement? Am I being a one-man political assembly? Should I go to jail?

This kind of KNN DPM also have. We are regressing to North Korean standards!

Since when did you see any riots happening in Singapore after 1980's? I never see any riots at all, and if you have more than 3 people gathering together is called illegal gathering.

There's no riots, no strikes, nothing at all, and now Wang Kan Seng wants to give more power to the police, for what? I dont understand him now, ever since he let Mas Selamat ran away, his mind and soul is unbalance, even his Master LHL didnt fuck him at all, but he is still unsound and unbalance. So he started to make weird decision and plans to make himself feels worthy again.

Wang Kan Seng! Go and catch Mas Selamat and stop playing tricks and doing unnecessary actions. Once you can catch Mas Selamat, you mind will be sounded and your Master LHL will start to pat on your head like a worthy dog again.