• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

this is what happened when social media day in day out promote eating michellin star food outlets and constantly promote eating and eating ...

whistling

Stupidman
Loyal

Obesity-linked cancer rates surge in China; young adults most affected

From 2007 to 2021, obesity-related cancer rates in China rose by 3.6% annually, with a striking 15.3% increase for those aged 25 to 29, while rates for non-obesity-linked cancers stayed stable​

Photo: Shutterstock
Rimjhim Singh New Delhi
2 min read Last Updated : Aug 28 2024 | 1:11 PM IST
Photo: Shutterstock

A recent study has highlighted a troubling increase in obesity-related cancers in China, particularly among the younger population. The research, which analysed over 650,000 cancer cases between 2007 and 2021, revealed that individuals born between 1997 and 2001 face a 25-fold higher risk of developing these cancers compared to those born between 1962 and 1966.
The study found that from 2007 to 2021, obesity-related cancer rates in China surged by a concerning 3.6 per cent annually, while the rates for cancers not linked to obesity remained unchanged. Notably, for those aged 25 to 29, the annual increase was as high as 15.3 per cent, the report said.
Click here to connect with us on WhatsApp

Cancer among young adults​

The research, led by Yang Jinkui, an endocrinologist at Capital Medical University in Beijing, and his team, was published last week in the peer-reviewed Med Journal of Cell Press.
The study said that the rising cases of cancer “among young adults reflects recent changes in exposure to environmental and dietary factors. While most cancers typically develop in older adults, the upward trend of cancer incidence among younger adults contributes to an increasing cancer burden”.

Obesity linked to cancer​

The study further said that obesity can cause at least 12 types of cancers, namely colorectum, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, breast, uterus, ovary, kidney, thyroid, multiple myeloma, gastric cardia, and esophageal adenocarcinoma.
The team has cautioned that without more robust public health interventions, the incidence of obesity-related cancers in China could potentially double over the next ten years. They recommended that the government implement policies aimed at encouraging healthier eating habits, curbing the consumption of ultra-processed foods, and promoting physical activity.

Rise in colorectal cancer cases​

Among the most notable increases was in colorectal cancer rates for those aged 25 to 29, which grew from 17.37 cases per 100,000 people to 23.89 per 100,000 people during the study period.
This rise in colorectal cancer is particularly significant when compared to other digestive system cancers, and is closely tied to the country’s economic growth and enhanced living standards.

The authors attributed the increase in cases to lifestyle factors such as lack of physical activity, tobacco use, and high consumption of red meat and alcohol, as well as inadequate screening, which has led to missed opportunities for early treatment.

First Published: Aug 28 2024 | 1:11 PM IST

whistling

Stupidman
Loyal
this is what happened when social media day in day out promote eating michellin star food outlets and constantly promote eating and eating bombarding young people with food and more food videos

adaliedn

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel very sorry for such people. Sometimes, looking at advertisements, I have a strong appetite for especially harmful food. But when I read this, I started eating right. I noticed that my appetite has settled and I don't want to eat all the time

Last edited: