• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

They are also Chinese???

RealSingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is Cantonese Chinaman or Chinese?
Is Taiwanese Chinaman or Chinese ?
Is Tebetan Chinaman or Chinese?
Is Inter Mogolain Chinaman or Chinese?
Is ...............
中国人=Chinaman or Chinese???
I conclude Chinese is not Chinaman. but some Chinese stay in China.

Hahaha I am Chinese (Han)but not Chinaman.

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
中国人 refer to all Chinaman/56 ethnic groups living in China.
华人 refer exclusively to Han Chinese.

anyway China is not a Han country but officially a multi-ethnic state even if 92% are Han. The preceding Qing dynasty officially was not a Manchus empire but a multi-ethnic state comprised of Manchus, Han Chinese, Mongols...

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
omg this is pretty easy to understand.

Is an englishman an american?

Both englishmen and americans are white ppl.

I am sure you know ozzies and americans for eg are not from the same country but might be from the same race.

it's the same with the chinese. If you're chinese but not from china you're obviously not a zhong guo ren.

If you're a korean and a chinese citizen you are definitely a zhong guo ren.

I really wonder why it's so difficult to grasp.

A japanese can be both used to describe a person's nationality and ethnicity.

The reason why ppl get it mixed up is cos most japanese ppl still live in japan. Yet there are japanese ppl citizens of other countries.

You shouldn't get it mixed up.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Humans do differ from one another but our biological differences do not coincide with the social understanding of the term race. For example, the term we accept as "Chinese" actually comprise a range of ethnicities in terms of skin tone, height range, diet, etc.

The following article give you an idea of the perceived ethnic divisions. You will find there is no "white" race as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Humans do differ from one another but our biological differences do not coincide with the social understanding of the term race. For example, the term we accept as "Chinese" actually comprise a range of ethnicities in terms of skin tone, height range, diet, etc.

The following article give you an idea of the perceived ethnic divisions. You will find there is no "white" race as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group

HAHA try telling a swede he's not white.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In modern language usage, Chinese means all Chinese, whether from PRC, ROC, HK, SEA, USA or wherever, whatever dialect. Chinaman outside PRC means dogs. Chinawoman outside PRC means crows.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is ...............

yes they are all part of the chinese race...japanese, viets, korean, and etc...

if u look at kazakh, uzbek, kry,...they look like chinese tooo..but becoz of many

decades of mixing with the russians and white of the west.......

and another thingy is their independence.....

say if shanghai and guanzhou and fujian became republic does that mean

they are not chinese tooo???

same can be said for the indians too...

RealSingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese refer to the race la, u mean a ang moh citizen of china u call him a chinese? so if i become US citizen u call me ang moh?

Honestly i hate Singapore Chinese call themselves as 中国人。We are Chinese not Chinaman hor.

And i hate the Chinaman call me 中国人。

我是汉人不是中国人!

RealSingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes they are all part of the chinese race...japanese, viets, korean, and etc...

if u look at kazakh, uzbek, kry,...they look like chinese tooo..but becoz of many

decades of mixing with the russians and white of the west.......

and another thingy is their independence.....

say if shanghai and guanzhou and fujian became republic does that mean

they are not chinese tooo???

same can be said for the indians too...

So we are all part of HUMAN RACE????

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can look down on prc chinaman and call them whatever you want.

But when you go to a western country, you are a chingchong chinaman.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is ...............

Chinese is not a race. It's a term given by the westerners based on the unification of the Warring States by Chin (Qin) Dynasty. The ancient central and northern Chinese hated the Qin Dynasty and wouldn't have called themselves that. Liu Bang founded the Han Dynasty from his base at Han Zhong and the unified China began to call themselves the Han people.

So technically, Chinese civilisation grandmasters like Lao Zi, Confucius, Mencius, Sun Zi et al couldn't be either Chin or Han people since they lived (and died) long before either dynasties were founded.

The southern Chinese provinces of Fujian (Hokkien) and Guangzhou (Canton) were considered at best semi-civilised during the era of Qin and Han. So then the people there didn't call themselves Han also. It was during the Tang Dynasty that they completely Sinocized culturally. That's when they began to call themselves Tang people. With the differences between north, central and south gradually settled, the terms Han people and Tang people become interchangeably used to refer to the majority of Chinese whose culture and politics dominated the entire China.

PRC recognises five main ethnic groups, Han (including Tang), Manchurian, Mongolian, Hui and Tibetans. There're many other minority groups, Zhuang (Guangxi), Miao (Yunnan) etc. All are Chinese. Therefore, Chinese is not a race.

Last edited:

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is ...............

is tomato a fruit or a vegetable?
the classification of a human race is abit limited by the myopics of english as a language. just like hot; spicy hot, temperature hot or popularity.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chinese refer to the race la, u mean a ang moh citizen of china u call him a chinese? so if i become US citizen u call me ang moh?

Honestly i hate Singapore Chinese call themselves as 中国人。We are Chinese not Chinaman hor.

And i hate the Chinaman call me 中国人。

我是汉人不是中国人!

That's because the term chinese is very ambigious it is also very general. To be more specific you can say chinese citizen which would refer to a person from china.

Yeah zhong guo ren means a citizen of china. hua ren means a chinese person. The diff is that a hua ren doesn't need to be a citizen of china but from a western country.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you really go read up about chinese history in wiki, you would have realized chinese was never a pure ethnic group to begin with.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If one reads Jin Yong novels for the romance and martial art fantasies, that's really mis-spent time. His series of novels from Condor Heroes to Duke Mount Deer explained the entire Han (Chinese), Man (Manchurian), Meng (Mongolian), Hui (Muslim), Zang (Tibetan) ethnicities chronologically and graphically.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If one reads Jin Yong novels for the romance and martial art fantasies, that's really mis-spent time. His series of novels from Condor Heroes to Duke Mount Deer explained the entire Han (Chinese), Man (Manchurian), Meng (Mongolian), Hui (Muslim), Zang (Tibetan) ethnicities chronologically and graphically.

pls elaborate more on wat he wrote on these ethnic groups for those of us who have not.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pls elaborate more on wat he wrote on these ethnic groups for those of us who have not.

Wah you mad or I think I'm Chinese superman is it? That's volumes of novels. How to explain? When free, go National Library and read lah! Read to appreciate what he's trying to present about Chinese ethnic backgrounds, from Guo Jing with Genghis Khan (Tiemuzhen) to Wei Xiaobao with Kangxi (Aixinjieluo Xuanye). You'd get the picture.

Last edited: