• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Story on how AWARE was born.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the eve of EGM, I thought, I would call around the usual suspects and put together briefly how AWARE was formed. Its formation was sensitive so the names were left out.

One night, fucking old man during the ND Speech threw out a bombshell - social engineering which led to the great marriqage debate. There were rumbles and women of substance decided to get together. NUSS organised a particular forum in 84 on this subject and some of the attendees decided to explore the best possible way to gauge the feeling of Singaporean women and present their views. At same time, Viv B / Simon Tay NUSS Leadership was told to keep their voiceferous few quiet on this subject and like the Great Table Tennis Inquiry everything went to ground quietly.

The ladies were not pleased. They looked for existing platforms and vehicles on women's rights including the pro-government umbrella body - Singapore Council of Women's Organisation. The decision was then taken to form a new group that had no links with the PAP after what NUSS leadership displayed in term of their manhood ande chivalry. AWARE was formed in 1985 and quickly became a thorn on the side of the government and replaced long standing icon, old man wife as the existing beacon of women's rights in view of the work done on the women's charter.

The government had to take notice but could not control AWARE as much as it liked compared to other bodies under the Societies Act. Mainly in order not to look silly bullying the fairer sex. In 1987, the Marxist Consipracy emerged and a number of AWARE members were caught in it. AWARE had to be lot more careful to avoid closure by association. Then the Catherine Lim affair in 89 occurred, when GCT expounded his OB marker doctrine laced with old man's knuckleduster threat. This more or less led to agitation being removed as pressure point and the use of forums, seminars and legalse to further the cause.

To put in a nutshell, AWARE was not formed by some floozies but by serious people who were professionals and people of substance. The founding members hopefully will one day pen its official undiluted history including the threats, the intimidations and the results that they achieved.

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Doesn't matter. With the current bunch of extremist cultist lunatics, AWARE is so UNAWARE, it should be disbanded permanently. If another proper woman's organization requires establishment then let that organization come to existence. These bunch of destructive people should go to their proper place in hell.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Oh dear. They misunderstand our great leaders's real intentions.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ydZHy_KRXE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ydZHy_KRXE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i believe they saw this coming...

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
:rolleyes: Greater things to cum for the gender?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ydZHy_KRXE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ydZHy_KRXE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gawd... we've finally succumbed to this low low level?? :confused::eek:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well I have a bad feeling that Connie and her Grizabellas are quite likely to lose on the head count to Josie and her Pussycats later this afternoon...this LGBT card appears to be a real strong powerful fear factor and draw regardless of its legitimacy to the old guard's management of Aware...I hope I am proven wrong though...but in that unfortunate event I endorse ST's editorial...

"...Whatever the outcome tomorrow, the ex-leaders could walk away from the wreck with their dignity intact. They could set up a new organisation and continue with their work, retaining the secularism that the Old Aware was known for."

On the eve of EGM, I thought, I would call around the usual suspects and put together briefly how AWARE was formed. Its formation was sensitive so the names were left out.

One night, fucking old man during the ND Speech threw out a bombshell - social engineering which led to the great marriqage debate. There were rumbles and women of substance decided to get together. NUSS organised a particular forum in 84 on this subject and some of the attendees decided to explore the best possible way to gauge the feeling of Singaporean women and present their views. At same time, Viv B / Simon Tay NUSS Leadership was told to keep their voiceferous few quiet on this subject and like the Great Table Tennis Inquiry everything went to ground quietly.

The ladies were not pleased. They looked for existing platforms and vehicles on women's rights including the pro-government umbrella body - Singapore Council of Women's Organisation. The decision was then taken to form a new group that had no links with the PAP after what NUSS leadership displayed in term of their manhood ande chivalry. AWARE was formed in 1985 and quickly became a thorn on the side of the government and replaced long standing icon, old man wife as the existing beacon of women's rights in view of the work done on the women's charter.

The government had to take notice but could not control AWARE as much as it liked compared to other bodies under the Societies Act. Mainly in order not to look silly bullying the fairer sex. In 1987, the Marxist Consipracy emerged and a number of AWARE members were caught in it. AWARE had to be lot more careful to avoid closure by association. Then the Catherine Lim affair in 89 occurred, when GCT expounded his OB marker doctrine laced with old man's knuckleduster threat. This more or less led to agitation being removed as pressure point and the use of forums, seminars and legalse to further the cause.

To put in a nutshell, AWARE was not formed by some floozies but by serious people who were professionals and people of substance. The founding members hopefully will one day pen its official undiluted history including the threats, the intimidations and the results that they achieved.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal, do you know who was the AWARE ex-president who did her post grad in Curtin? This was in the mid 90s....

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well I have a bad feeling that Connie and her Grizabellas are quite likely to lose on the head count to Josie and her Pussycats later this afternoon...this LGBT card appears to be a real strong powerful fear factor and draw regardless of its legitimacy to the old guard's management of Aware...I hope I am proven wrong though...but in that unfortunate event I endorse ST's editorial...

"...Whatever the outcome tomorrow, the ex-leaders could walk away from the wreck with their dignity intact. They could set up a new organisation and continue with their work, retaining the secularism that the Old Aware was known for."

If that happens, we will have TWO women rights organisations in Singapore fighting for women's rights. At the end of the day, it is a wonderful development if more people can be roused out of their slumber and contribute back to civil activitism in Singapore.

I have serious doubts as to how long the new guard can go as their primary motive is anti-gay and not pro-women rights. Maybe the sturdy ones can tahan for one year but for 24 years?

I believe these are decent women deceived by their cause for the "greater good" and believing in "any means" to achieve their cause. But they are good Christians, albeit fundamental in views. Their energy will run out because they do not have the passion for women's rights.

Z

Zombie

I believe these are decent women deceived by their cause for the "greater good" and believing in "any means" to achieve their cause.

Spelling error on the words in red. That's an "o" too many. :biggrin:

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the missing info on the Marxist thingy. What I heard from Christian friends are that some of them are christians. They are pretty upset about it.

Looks like the bombs are not totally unarmed.... but delayed.

Back to AWARE, I wonder how aware is going to save its credibility in future? More people asking them to teach sexual issues?

By the way, what is the main purpose in the first place?

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard from a friend that the new AWARE team wants to spread their religious thought & recruitment thru' the schools, is it true? Last time when I was very young & in school, I was told by some religious groups that if I do not believe in God or Jesus, I will be condemned to hell.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard from a friend that the new AWARE team wants to spread their religious thought & recruitment thru' the schools, is it true? Last time when I was very young & in school, I was told by some religious groups that if I do not believe in God or Jesus, I will be condemned to hell.

Do you believe in a religion where if you dont believe in it, you will die? Think about it properly.

Bible is written by people, approved by AUTHORITY to be published to spread control over the people.

BAck to aware, what has religion got to do with sexual education? I am sure many of our 13 years old kids know more than these teachers.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do hope the same.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggest you go read some Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens:wink:...oh and I say this as a cradle Catholic:smile: