• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Ever Redundant Opposition

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wednesday, 27 August 2008
The Ever Redundant Opposition

Posted by Nicholas Lazarus at 9:32 AM

Whenever possible, the opposition will harp on the need for opposition voices to represent Singaporeans.

Their argument is that Singaporeans cannot voice out matters to the PAP and they need an opposition to do the voicing for them.

The opposition claims that Singaporeans are secretly unhappy with the PAP and that Singaporeans have repressed their unhappiness out of purported fear of the PAP. Whenever the opposition lose in the Elections, this is too is their excuse- that Singaporeans are afraid of PAP and so voted against the opposition.

Recently, events have shown the untruths and propaganda of the opposition.

When Singaporeans are unhappy with the Government, they waste no time in making their unhappiness known. They do not need the opposition.

When Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced a bonanza of tax benefits, leaves, a bigger "baby bonus" and other goodies to encourage more babies to take effect on 1 January 2009, there were protests and unhappiness expressed by mothers whose delivery was before such date.

The mothers to be and their families protested. They voiced their unhappiness.

There were emails sent and complaints on the blogs. There was an online petition ready to take effect. The mothers to be planned on going to their MP’s Meet the People sessions to express their unhappiness and demand the benefits.

The Government took note of the unhappiness and swiftly responded by backdating the benefits to 17 August 2008, the date when the Prime Minister first announced the benefits.
When the people are unhappy, they make their unhappiness known. There was certainly no fear here.

Likewise, when people were unhappy by the decision by the Singapore Table Tennis Association to sack table-tennis team manager Antony Lee, they made their unhappiness known too and the Government is listening.

The opposition seems to have no part in this interaction between the people and their Government. And there is no need too.

Singapore is fast becoming a modern Athean democracy where the citizens are partaking in the democratic process by engaging the Government and pointing out the deficiencies so that the Government may address them. They are doing this in a very rational in calm manner- by emails, discussions, forums, feedback sessions, blogs, letters and face to face interaction.

The Government too is responding swiftly to the people and acting upon it. In fact, the Government has to do so and this is the best "check" on the Government – the people themselves who will not wait till election time to address issues that concern them.

If the opposition cannot even get involved in the issues of the day that concern the people, are they not redundant?

http://youngpapblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/ever-redundant-opposition.html

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Coming from a youngpap blogger of coz la they would condemn the opposotion.

I'm not an ardent fan of the PAP but i loathe S'pore's opposition parties. They seem to be sleeping all year round until the next election is around the corner. And can they also get rid of the democracy shouts thing. Getting sick of it oredy.

But if more and more avenues are available for the citizens to feedback to govt and with the quality of opposition remains status quo, i hate to say this but the blog can be a reality.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm not an ardent fan of the PAP but i loathe S'pore's opposition parties. They seem to be sleeping all year round until the next election is around the corner. And can they also get rid of the democracy shouts thing. Getting sick of it oredy.

But if more and more avenues are available for the citizens to feedback to govt and with the quality of opposition remains status quo, i hate to say this but the blog can be a reality.

When the opposition leaders in Singapore do speak up, all insomniacs will be cured !!!

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opposition leaders speak well. Dats why there's a big crowd at their rallies. But mostly go there to hear TCSS and a good laugh. After that during polling day vote PAP.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opposition leaders speak well. Dats why there's a big crowd at their rallies. But mostly go there to hear TCSS and a good laugh. After that during polling day vote PAP.

When the opposition leaders in Singapore do speak up, whole of Singapore yawn in unison !!

splintuh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nothing beats having a representative in parliament, who can question and vote on bills, and is not tied down by a party whip.

There is always a need for a questioning voice, with the parliamentary voting rights to go with it. I agree with you, that the issue is more of the current quality of opposition rather than the need for that voice in parliament.

We can have all the feedback channels we want, but that is subject to
- to people actually feeding back. Not every type of issue solicits feedback from the public. We only hear feedback on bread&butter issues.
- the feedback being picked up by the Gov
- Even if the above is met, and the issue is debated in parliament, the vote still goes 1-way as in accordance to the party whip.

What we need is more questioning voices, with the right to vote freely, in larger quantity. Is the PAP willing to lift the party whip? I doubt so...

A

Alu862

The opposition is too disunited and has no policies--economic, defence, foreign or domestic--that can appeal to people. There are too many parties--even Western democracies have two major opposing parties three at most.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing beats having a representative in parliament, who can question and vote on bills, and is not tied down by a party whip.

There is always a need for a questioning voice, with the parliamentary voting rights to go with it. I agree with you, that the issue is more of the current quality of opposition rather than the need for that voice in parliament.

We can have all the feedback channels we want, but that is subject to
- to people actually feeding back. Not every type of issue solicits feedback from the public. We only hear feedback on bread&butter issues.
- the feedback being picked up by the Gov
- Even if the above is met, and the issue is debated in parliament, the vote still goes 1-way as in accordance to the party whip.

What we need is more questioning voices, with the right to vote freely, in larger quantity. Is the PAP willing to lift the party whip? I doubt so...

1) Like your nick, your sentence is splinterred. Made me have a headache with the indicrminate spacing between the words.

2) Was Lily Neo's outburst in Parliament an indication that the party whip will be put to test? Or is that just play acted as some conspiracy theorists will argue.

3) Despite the news of Sporean's growing affluence, the bread and butter issues are the ones that would be of top priority and it sells cos' people are more concerned about their basic needs. Oppo members can reach out to the masses but their alternative policy must be viable and not just to cater to popular demands.

jw5

Loyal

If you don't like the pap and also dislike the opposition, then the only answer to have a better Singapore is for you and your friends to step up and form a real alternative to the ruling party.

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you don't like the pap and also dislike the opposition, then the only answer to have a better Singapore is for you and your friends to step up and form a real alternative to the ruling party.

I agree with you. Many forummers here are whiners and piners !!