• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

thai FT with low IQ say NS is good

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also, such penalties are not meant to penalise Singaporeans over foreigners. The concept of NS is that citizens and PRs must participate in the defence of Singapore. It is a form of conscription. States which practise conscription always have harsh penalties for defaulters, to coerce citizens and PRs to serve. NS was never voluntary service.

============

Laws on NS not all that draconian
I REFER to Mr Yong Yin Min's letter last Saturday, 'NS not a debt citizens must repay'. I strongly disagree with many of his views.

Article 128(2)(b) of the Constitution states that the Government may withhold renunciation of citizenship if the declaration is made by a person subject to the Enlistment Act (Cap. 93).

Chapter 93 of the Enlistment Act then states that 'a 'person subject to this Act' means a person who is a citizen of Singapore or a permanent resident thereof and who is not less than 16 years and six months of age and not more than 40 years of age'.

The Bugge brothers were all Singapore citizens when they hit 16 years and six months, therefore they were all subject to the Enlistment Act, and the Government has every right to withhold renunciation of their citizenships.

In addition, Mr Yong referred to taxpayers' money being spent on citizens who have emigrated, with no returns. I think the returns of such a practice may not be material, but are there nonetheless. All able citizens and PRs must undergo national service (NS), even if they emigrate and renounce their citizenship immediately after it is complete. The alternative, of not spending on such people, is unthinkable. How do the authorities predict if someone will renounce his citizenship after completing NS? Should such people be excused NS? What if many, upon enlistment, say they will emigrate after NS, and change their minds later?

Furthermore, this 'compulsion' may 'reek of punishment', but it is nothing compared to the penalties in the Enlistment Act. Since they are citizens, they are defaulters who have evaded NS, and are liable to a fine not exceeding $10,000, imprisonment for a term not exceeding three years, or both. Allowing them to renounce their citizenship basically allows their offence to be nullified, even if they return to Singapore.

Also, such penalties are not meant to penalise Singaporeans over foreigners. The concept of NS is that citizens and PRs must participate in the defence of Singapore. It is a form of conscription. States which practise conscription always have harsh penalties for defaulters, to coerce citizens and PRs to serve. NS was never voluntary service.

The laws here are not all that draconian. I know someone who was initially a PR, but renounced it and left Singapore successfully before he reached 16 years and six months. Failing to comply with the law, however, invites punishment. Some may feel the laws should be changed, but until that happens, they must be respected and upheld.

Brian Premchand

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brian Premchand is not thai, thais won't be able to string more than 4 english sentences together

Z

Zombie

Brian Premchand is not thai, thais won't be able to string more than 4 english sentences together

Yes he is the "thai" from kong kong dai dai.

He replies to the letter "'NS not a debt citizens must repay" which looks distinctively at citizens' liabilities for NS.

Yet he talks about PR being covered in the Enlistment Act; and particularly how to avoid it: "The laws here are not all that draconian. I know someone who was initially a PR, but renounced it and left Singapore successfully before he reached 16 years and six months."

He does not know that exemptions are readily available for PRs but not citizens.

And read this

"All able citizens and PRs must undergo national service (NS), even if they emigrate and renounce their citizenship immediately after it is complete. "

How a PR renounces citizenship if he is not a citizen?

Why ST publish a letter from a person that cannot tell the difference between citizen, PR and foreigners?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If he's not thai where is he from??

I cannot fanthom a guess where else he could be from.

I know viet names when i see one. Fillippino too, the laos and cambodian ones probably even worse or same standard of engrish as the thais.

Burmese ones have names similar to chinese ones which means they are mostly all 1 syllabal to pronounce.

Damn that's it. Dun look malaysia or indonesian.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

============

Laws on NS not all that draconian
I REFER to Mr Yong Yin Min's letter last Saturday, 'NS not a debt citizens must repay'. I strongly disagree with many of his views.

Article 128(2)(b) of the Constitution states that the Government may withhold renunciation of citizenship if the declaration is made by a person subject to the Enlistment Act (Cap. 93).

Chapter 93 of the Enlistment Act then states that 'a 'person subject to this Act' means a person who is a citizen of Singapore or a permanent resident thereof and who is not less than 16 years and six months of age and not more than 40 years of age'.

The laws here are not all that draconian. I know someone who was initially a PR, but renounced it and left Singapore successfully before he reached 16 years and six months. Failing to comply with the law, however, invites punishment. Some may feel the laws should be changed, but until that happens, they must be respected and upheld.

Brian Premchand

Well, then go ahead and serve, Brian. No-one's stopping you. Do what you say, and you'd be able to silence your critics. Otherwise you're just another two-timer.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are hell lots of people in S'pore who enjoy the privilleges and benefits of citizenships but do not need to serve NS.

Using the law to compel can only get you the body but not the soul.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thailand also has a NS system. But Thais have no idea of the Singapore ORD reservist, IPPT and RT systems. Hope his son(s) serve and experience it, then tell him about it. In any case, Thai youths serve willingly to protect their King and Kingdom. Singaporeans serve to protect what or who? LKY or Nathan? Take your pick and be prepared die for it?

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
have this kind of FT,thatz why the government do not worri too much about not enough male citizen for NS lor.