• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tears force boss into U-turn

DannyBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
MUMBAI - THE boss of India's biggest domestic airline said he has scrapped plans to lay off 1,900 employees because their tears caused him sleepless nights.

All 800 employees at Jet Airways who had already been laid off were called back to work Friday - just 48 hours after they were told to go by the airline, citing large losses.

Jet said earlier this week it would sack 1,900 probationary employees, marking the first mass layoffs in the formerly booming Indian aviation sector.

'I could not sleep at night. I was mentally disturbed when I saw tears in their eyes. I apologise for all the agony you went through,' Jet chairman Naresh Goyal told a news conference in Mumbai late on Thursday.

He said he had made a 'personal decision...without any external pressure.'

However, on Friday, India's Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel claimed credit for Jet's U-turn.

Speaking in New Delhi, Mr Patel said he had told Mr Goyal that 'in 24 hours, we must find a resolution to this problem otherwise we in the ministry would certainly not be very happy with the approach of Jet Airways.'

The 'hire and fire' culture of the West is deeply frowned upon in India and many Indian companies are reluctant to add new workers because of the difficulty in getting rid of them during financial downturns.

The layoff announcement had come days after Jet announced a tie-up with its fierce rival Kingfisher Airlines for an 'operational alliance' including joint fuel management and ground handling.

India's airline sector - a potent symbol of the country's economic progress - is going through its 'worst ever' crisis, according to Mr Patel.

Soaring global fuel prices have forced airlines to hike fares and cut routes, hitting passenger numbers.

The sector posted a combined loss of US$938 million in the fiscal year to March 2008 and analysts expect a US$ 2 billion loss this year.

Many of those initially laid off were flight attendants and ground crew in their early 20s. Some expressed worry about repaying bank loans they had taken to pay flight-training and cabin crew school fees.

One man, Jet purser Salim Suleiman, was on leave and heard he was to lose his job on his wedding day. He had to return after the ceremony to hand in his uniform, badge and security pass.

Those earlier dismissed took to the streets this week, many weeping at the unexpected sackings two weeks ahead of the major Hindu festival Diwali - a time when many in India spend heavily on gifts.

Firebrand Hindu nationalist politician Raj Thackeray, a potent force in Mumbai, where Jet is headquartered, had warned of repercussions if the airline did not reinstate the employees.

After Mr Goyal's about-turn, employees cheered and distributed sweets outside Jet's Mumbai head office.

The company however said it still needed to cut costs in coming months as the industry seeks to fly through stormy weather.

State-run carrier Air India is considering allowing 15,000 workers to take up to five years' unpaid leave as it battles the downturn.

'We will need to take some tough financial decisions,' Mr Goyal said, without elaborating.

Jet posted a full-year loss to March of 2.53 billion rupees (S$77 million) and has defaulted on payment of fuel bills worth 2.59 billion rupees to the state-run Indian Oil Corp.

The government has rejected industry appeals for a bailout but has said it will look at cutting taxes on jet fuel and reducing airport landing and parking fees to ease the sector's woes. -- AFP

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think a few years of Bollywood training for the boss has taken effect.

Swell !!!! Fine crocodiles tears and fake panda eyes !!

MUMBAI - THE boss of India's biggest domestic airline said he has scrapped plans to lay off 1,900 employees because their tears caused him sleepless nights.

wimpish and feeble crocodile snipped -- AFP

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh dear, that cannot be true. It is never easy for a boss or CEO to let people go. So many individuals and families are at stake when jobs are lost. Unemployment is not a happy thing, in general. Fortunately, Singaporeans have the opportunity to retrain and find new employment!

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which edition of The Shitty Times did you manage to copy and paste the reply here ?

F88K YOU DEAD !! RETRAINING FOR F88K !! YOU ARE ASKING THE DOG TRAINER TO BE TRAINED BY THE DOGS ?? WITHOUT THE GAHMENT HELP, I STARTED MY OWN BUSINESS. THE TIME HAS COME FOR ME TO F88K THE PAP !~!

........ Fortunately, Singaporeans have the opportunity to retrain and find new employment!

Tiu-leh-see-fart

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont worry, our PAP govt needs Indian FTs.
They can come in droves to singapore and retrain and find new jobs here.

Local singaporeans are happy if these people could come becos they create more jobs for the local people.

Dont believe me? My PAP comrades are here, we PAP people are more updated, we can tell more.

Anyway, Nice to see you DAN .

All 800 employees at Jet Airways who had already been laid off were called back to work Friday - just 48 hours after they were told to go by the airline, citing large losses.

Jet said earlier this week it would sack 1,900 probationary employees, marking the first mass layoffs in the formerly booming Indian aviation sector.

'I could not sleep at night. I was mentally disturbed when I saw tears in their eyes. I apologise for all the agony you went through,' Jet chairman Naresh Goyal told a news conference in Mumbai late on Thursday.

He said he had made a 'personal decision...without any external pressure.'

However, on Friday, India's Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel claimed credit for Jet's U-turn.

Speaking in New Delhi, Mr Patel said he had told Mr Goyal that 'in 24 hours, we must find a resolution to this problem otherwise we in the ministry would certainly not be very happy with the approach of Jet Airways.'

The 'hire and fire' culture of the West is deeply frowned upon in India and many Indian companies are reluctant to add new workers because of the difficulty in getting rid of them during financial downturns.

The layoff announcement had come days after Jet announced a tie-up with its fierce rival Kingfisher Airlines for an 'operational alliance' including joint fuel management and ground handling.

India's airline sector - a potent symbol of the country's economic progress - is going through its 'worst ever' crisis, according to Mr Patel.

Soaring global fuel prices have forced airlines to hike fares and cut routes, hitting passenger numbers.

The sector posted a combined loss of US$938 million in the fiscal year to March 2008 and analysts expect a US$ 2 billion loss this year.

Many of those initially laid off were flight attendants and ground crew in their early 20s. Some expressed worry about repaying bank loans they had taken to pay flight-training and cabin crew school fees.

One man, Jet purser Salim Suleiman, was on leave and heard he was to lose his job on his wedding day. He had to return after the ceremony to hand in his uniform, badge and security pass.

Those earlier dismissed took to the streets this week, many weeping at the unexpected sackings two weeks ahead of the major Hindu festival Diwali - a time when many in India spend heavily on gifts.

Firebrand Hindu nationalist politician Raj Thackeray, a potent force in Mumbai, where Jet is headquartered, had warned of repercussions if the airline did not reinstate the employees.

After Mr Goyal's about-turn, employees cheered and distributed sweets outside Jet's Mumbai head office.

The company however said it still needed to cut costs in coming months as the industry seeks to fly through stormy weather.

State-run carrier Air India is considering allowing 15,000 workers to take up to five years' unpaid leave as it battles the downturn.

'We will need to take some tough financial decisions,' Mr Goyal said, without elaborating.

Jet posted a full-year loss to March of 2.53 billion rupees (S$77 million) and has defaulted on payment of fuel bills worth 2.59 billion rupees to the state-run Indian Oil Corp.

The government has rejected industry appeals for a bailout but has said it will look at cutting taxes on jet fuel and reducing airport landing and parking fees to ease the sector's woes. -- AFP

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cry.jpg

My tears are only my FT pets! *hee*hee*

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is very RARE for a boss/CEO to retain the employees even at drastic times.
Really very very rare.

Got a boss like this, i dun mind slog for them.
Hate those western management values ....

:mad: :rolleyes: :mad: