• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taiwanese scolds Singaporean EDMWer for saying they speak Mandarin & Hokkien, insists they're speaking "Taiwanese"

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Psychedelic Senses :​

Why people from Taiwan insist they are speaking Taiwanese, not chinese?​

They insist that their language is called 'Taiwanese'. I told them that's not a language, what's mainly spoken there is either mandarin or hokkien, then they all get triggered instead and warned me not to mess around with tw ppl :ROFLMAO: I guess they hate tiongs so much they don't even want their language to be labelled as a chinese language.

They should just say it's their style of mandarin mixed with hokkien dialect, but they kept insisting like as if it is a language created from scratch in their country.

I told that 'Taiwanese' is nationality and not a language and all the angry tw ppl come out with pitch forks liao.

I use this analogy as an example.

Spain and Mexico.

Both speak the same language but with their own style, spanish.

But Mexicans don't go around telling the world you speak the Mexican language right?

That's the case here, TW people insisting they speak 'Taiwanese' when they clearly created the term themselves to disassociate getting grouped up with mainland chinese but ultimately it's still mandarin chinese infused with dialect. Just like us taking the english and speaking it in our own style but we don't say it's a 'language' what.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strictly speaking, the Taiwanese speak Minnan dialect (闽南语), the language of southern Fujian province - shared with those in Xiamen, Quanzhou, Zhangzhou. The earliest Hoklo settlers in Taiwan came from these three regions. Hokkiens in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia speak the same dialect.

In the '60s to '80s, even the Taiwanese themselves use Minnan to describe their language. It's only from the '90s onwards with rise of DPP and the independence movement that they switched to the term Taiwanese language (台语), which is a rather meaningless phrase, given that there also many native Hakka speakers and Aboriginals speaking their own languages.

By the way, 'Hokkien' is the Minnan pronunciation of 'Fujian'. It doesn't really refer to the dialect, since Fujian province is so big, and there are many dialects like Minnan, Putian, Hokchew, Hokchia, etc.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They insist that their language is called 'Taiwanese'. I told them that's not a language, what's mainly spoken there is either mandarin or hokkien, then they all get triggered instead and warned me not to mess around with tw ppl :ROFLMAO: I guess they hate tiongs so much they don't even want their language to be labelled as a chinese language.

They should just say it's their style of mandarin mixed with hokkien dialect, but they kept insisting like as if it is a language created from scratch in their country.

I told that 'Taiwanese' is nationality and not a language and all the angry tw ppl come out with pitch forks liao.

Spain and Mexico.

But Mexicans don't go around telling the world you speak the Mexican language right?

That's the case here, TW people insisting they speak 'Taiwanese' when they clearly created the term themselves to disassociate getting grouped up with mainland chinese but ultimately it's still mandarin chinese infused with dialect. Just like us taking the english and speaking it in our own style but we don't say it's a 'language' what.
lianbeng agrees that Taiwan is independent not related to China lah! :biggrin:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why people from Taiwan insist they are speaking Taiwanese, not chinese?

You can't blame them. They love licking Amorkia's balls until they forgot who their ancestor was. Their main stream media is so powerful to convince them that yellow is actually white.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spain and Mexico.

typical sinkie behavior ...

tel others dey r wrong n try 2 show dey r smart by telling others wat dey shud b doing ...

wat dey wan 2 call their language is their decision ... nutting 2 do wif a blahdy pseudo intellectual sinkie ...

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
lianbeng agrees that Taiwan is independent not related to China lah! :biggrin:
Independent or not, the Hokkien people migrated to Taiwan from Fujian province about 300 years ago. Their language is the Hokkien dialect.

Hakkas came later. Shanghainese and northerners came over with Chiang Kai Shek after the Nationalists lost the civil war.

Real Taiwanese language is the language of the aborigines.