• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Superior sandwiches

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.soshiok.com/articles/13398

Superior sandwiches

Tue Jul 14 2009
Rebecca Lynne Tan
The Sunday Times

sandwichst_sk.jpg

The humble sandwich has bulked up and is gaining popularity with new outlets opening in recent months.

Singapore, July 12, 2009 - When it comes to fixing those hunger pangs at lunch time, Singaporeans are using their loaf. That is judging by the lengthy queues at sandwich joints these days.

LifeStyle recently counted lines with up to 30 eager chompers waiting for their daily bread fix, sometimes for up to half an hour.

In a country where the population has traditionally turned to rice or noodles for its carbs, it may seem a surprise that the yeasty grain treat is rising in popularity.

But such is the appeal of sandwiches that there are now four sandwich chains in town, busy buttering up customers (top).

The latest is Quiznos, a well-known food and beverage chain from the United States, which opened its first outlet in Far East Square last December and another just last month at Orchard Central.

It joins sandwich stalwarts O’Briens, an Irish-themed chain which opened here in 1999, and United States-based franchise Subway, which rolled up with its foot-long “subs” in 1996.

The other chain spreading the bread is The Sandwich Shop which opened in 2003 and now has four outlets.

The resulting sandwich wars mean customers are in for a treat in terms of variety.

Quiznos is famous for its toasted sandwiches while O’Briens is known for made-to- order sandwiches.

Subway touts its freshness and healthy fillings while The Sandwich Shop prides itself on gourmet ingredients.

The sandwiches – often custom-made with fillings picked by the purchaser, as opposed to being pre-packed – range from $3.70 to $10.90 each in price, making them more expensive than hawker fare.

Yet O’Briens’ CEO for Asia, Mr Hugh Hoyes-Cock, says: “Contrary to popular perception, our target market and our actual market has been 80 per cent local since the beginning.”

Singaporeans are certainly sinking their teeth into sandwiches: In 2004, Subway sold between 5,000 and 10,000 sandwiches a day at its 23 outlets, today it says that 30,000 sandwiches are gobbled up each day at its 69 outlets.

By the end of the year, it plans to increase its outlets to 80.

Consumers told LifeStyle that they choose sandwiches over hawker fare such as char kway teow or nasi lemak because of their convenience.

Sales executive Marie Lee, 23, says: “I know I can get a bowl of fishball noodles for $3 but you cannot eat that on the go.”

She adds: “And you do not have to worry about not being able to find a table to sit at because sandwiches can be eaten anywhere, even outside on the bench.”

Opting for a sandwich is also healthier, say consumers.

Banker Vincent Lee, 29, who enjoys sandwiches from The Sandwich Shop in Hitachi Tower, says: “So a sandwich costs about $7 but at least I get my daily dose of fibre. The bread and the salads are fresh and eating a sandwich at lunch time does not give me that afternoon slump in energy.”

The heftier price tag has not deterred lunchgoers.

Client service officer Lin Jialing, 33, says: “Even in these belt-tightening times, I would rather queue and spend on a healthier lunch. I can save on little things elsewhere.”

obriens_sk.jpg

No. 1

O’BRIENS
Where: Fourteen outlets islandwide including Jelita Shopping Centre, UOB Plaza, PSA Building and CityLink Mall

What: Toasted chicken and bacon triple-decker sandwich with melted cheese on wholemeal bread

Price: $10.90

Weight: 350g

Ingredients: Three slices of wholemeal bread, chicken, bacon, melted cheese, red onion, coleslaw, lettuce and mayonnaise

Taste: I thought three slices of bread would make for a dry sandwich but I was wrong. The melted cheese, coleslaw and mayonnaise ensured that each bite was tasty and moist. The sandwich also had a nice crunch to it, thanks to the roughly chopped red onion and cabbage from the coleslaw.

Verdict: Warm and cheesy, with a crunch in every bite. 4.5 out of 5

thesandwichshopst_sk.jpg

No. 2

THE SANDWICH SHOP

Where: Four outlets at Robinson Centre, Hitachi Tower, Changi Business Park and One Raffles Link

What: Chicken and mushroom sandwich

Price: $7.80

Weight: 300g

Ingredients: Roast chicken, tomato, button mushroom, baby spinach and pesto mayonnaise

Taste: Despite being pre-packed, the bread was soft yet not soggy. The bread and the ingredients were fresh and there was just enough pesto mayonnaise to keep things moist and zesty without being overpowering.

Verdict: The mushroom, tomato and baby spinach were a refreshing change to the usual salads, 4 out of 5

subwayst_sk.jpg

No. 3

SUBWAY

Where: A total of 69 outlets islandwide including Holland Village, Thomson Plaza, Far East Square, Raffles City Shopping Centre and Toa Payoh Hub

What: Toasted chicken teriyaki sub

Price: $5.90

Weight: 250g

Ingredients: Six-inch white bun, teriyaki chicken, melted cheese, lettuce, tomato, jalapeno, gherkin, olive, cucumber, green capsicum and honey mustard dressing

Taste: The tender chicken made the sandwich tasty but it had too much sauce. Depending on what dressing or sauce you opt for, its flavour can overpower.

Verdict: Full of vegetables with a tasty dressing, 3 out of 5

quiznos_sk.jpg

QUIZNOS
Where: Orchard Central and Far East Square

What: Toasted honey mustard chicken sub

Price: $6.20

Weight: 250g

Ingredients: Six-inch white bun, chicken, melted cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, honey mustard dressing

Taste: The sandwiches were made with crusty buns which, when I tried them, were stale. The chicken was juicy and the sauce tangy. But I hankered for more filling.

Verdict: If you like your buns crusty, head here, 3 out of 5