• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stupid things civil servants do ...

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
I start this thread to share things that you experience when facing civil servants or those you encountered while you work as a civil servant ...

I used to work in a stat board. This is this very funny protocol to follow when anyone is tasked to send a mail to a group consisting of the top guy and various heads. When the draft is done and I need to include the emails to the 'To:' row, the protocol is such that the top guy's email must be selected first, then the 2nd guy, followed by the third. In another words, the sequence of e-mail addresses appearing on the 'To:' and 'CC:' sections must also follow rank and seniority. Wah lao, cannot take it .

attach_email.jpg

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
You may opined that the civil service appears to do stupid things. But the latest PERC survey maintained that Singapore civil service top the list of countries in Asia. Admiration and envy from many countries I supposed.

You make think that you did stupid things, but in the eyes of many in Asia, it makes you yourself look rather stupid isn't it?

Your purpose is not to suggest improvement to make the civil service even better but to ridicule your former paymaster because probably you didn't live up to their high expectations - had to quit or was quitted.

Singapore civil servants ranked most efficient in Asia: survey
Posted: 03 June 2009

SINGAPORE : A business survey (conducted by Hong Kong-based Political & Economic Risk Consultancy (PERC) on 12 Asian cities found that civil servants in Singapore are the most efficient.....

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/433617/1/.html

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
whether in the civil service or the private sector, protocol are necessary .just imagine if you big boss is down to the last of the recipient for the email.

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
You may opined that the civil service appears to do stupid things. But the latest PERC survey maintained that Singapore civil service top the list of countries in Asia.

And pray tell who the hell is PERC? Is PERC an organ of the United Nations? You believe everything people tell you? You don't think for yourself?

Privpho

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is nothing wrong with putting the most senior person foremost in the mailing list. It's just a form of protocol and way of showing respect after all.

Such a minor thing also wanna complain?!

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
yea, I dun even need a list to tell me to put my boss first in every email and list down the ranks for the rest. It shows that I am mindful of such details and my boss can trust me to do more work.

I would be more cautious of others who are less mindful. It is not that I will not give chance but I would have to scrutinise more.

LoveSingFade

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I think is stupid:

1. "Boss is Always Right" attitude, those super kiasu, hungry for promotion guys have this type of mentality, even if Boss made the wrong judgement, something obviously wrong or stupid, they will sing along and faithfully carry out the stupid task, when someone pointed out the error, they will warn one to keep quiet, " hey! Boss say one ley... :mad:

2. Those join RC or CCC to show off their background, so as to get better chance for promotion and hope for special treatment, wait long long la moron

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
When serving NS I had a high-ranking officer reprimand me for not stapling papers at the exact angle he wanted... :oIo:

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
how come nobody told me anything about that? i just simply throw in the names whichever comes to my mind first.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
And pray tell who the hell is PERC? Is PERC an organ of the United Nations? You believe everything people tell you? You don't think for yourself?

And you rather choose to believe in an anonymous thread starter in this Kopitiam than to believe in a reputable organisation widely acceptable as an impartial entity that businesses and investors refer to?

I think you should rather re-exam your "organ".

mudskipper

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is nothing wrong with putting the most senior person foremost in the mailing list. It's just a form of protocol and way of showing respect after all.

Such a minor thing also wanna complain?!

totally agree with u. he'll probably never make management that's why don't understand such simple protocol. :smile:

jw5

Loyal
When serving NS I had a high-ranking officer reprimand me for not stapling papers at the exact angle he wanted... :oIo:
Don't worry, he is now either a low ranking private sector employee or still high ranking in the saf.