• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Students mocked for not collecting enough money

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,195118,00.html?

Students mocked for not collecting enough money
Flag day volunteers scolded, told to return only when tins full
March 09, 2009

NP_IMAGES_ATFLAG-RQO.jpg

LET DOWN: (From left) Alim, Hobart Wong, Quan Hwa and Ng Chee Kiat, from Saint Gabriel's Secondary School, said their efforts on flag day were not appreciated. TNP PICTURE: NG XI JIE

THE students were there to help raise money for a good cause.

But instead of getting pats on their backs for their efforts, they were mocked for not collecting enough. Some were even threatened with 'bad remarks'.

That was what four students from Saint Gabriel's Secondary School claimed after they participated in a flag day for the Apex Day Rehabilitation Centre for the Elderly.

They volunteered as part of their school's community involvement programme (CIP).

The number of CIP hours they put in contributes to the overall Co-Curricular Activity (CCA) grades for their O Levels.

A minimum of 24 hours over the four years of secondary school can get them one point, and they can get more points if they put in more hours.

Hobart Wong, 16, said students from the normal academic stream in his school had to report to the Apex collection centre in Dhoby Ghaut at 10am on 21 Feb. They were told to return by 3pm.

Hobart said the area was crowded as there were also students from other schools collecting donations for Apex.

'I went to Novena, Toa Payoh and Bishan as I thought I could get more donations elsewhere,' he recalled.

NP_IMAGES_ATFLAG-K0U.jpg

ST PHOTO ILLUSTRATION

But there were students asking for donations in those areas as well.

When he returned to the centre at 3pm, his tin was only a quarter full. He claimed a woman who was collecting the tins ridiculed him.

'She told me, 'The amount you collected is not even enough to cover the cost of the tin and stickers.'

'She was not at all appreciative of our efforts in helping to raise money,' he said.

He claimed she also told him to continue asking for donations and come back only when his tin was full.

Threatened with 'bad remark'

When he refused, he claimed the woman told him he would be given a 'bad remark', apparently on the report Apex would send back to the school.

However, Apex told The New Paper later that it does not do this.

Three of Hobart's schoolmates said the same woman had scolded them too. All three went back and spent more time getting people to put money in their tins.

One of them, Ng Chee Kiat, also 16, said he was told to get more and return two hours later, though it was raining heavily at the time.

Afraid of being given a 'bad remark' which he feared might affect the number of CIP hours awarded to him, Chee Kiat braved the downpour to ask for more donations.

He said he returned to the centre soaking wet at 5pm.

He said: 'Some of the students who had other (appointments) had to put their own money in so they could go home.'

When contacted by The New Paper on Sunday, Sister Marjorie Almodiel, Apex's centre manager, declined to comment on the students' allegations.

But she said Apex does not 'grade' its volunteer students according to the amount of money collected.

'Charity has to be done from the goodness of the heart, so there is no point in grading them,' she said.

Out of the 10 voluntary welfare organisations (VWOs) we called, only one said it evaluates the students.

Lembaga Biasiswa Kenangan Maulud (LBKM), a Malay-Muslim organisation that helps needy students to further their education, said it would leave remarks such as 'could have done better' next to the student's name on a list, based on how much the student collects.

However, it did not peg specific grades to the weight of the tins.

A spokesman said the organisation does this for its 'own analysis' and the remarks are not sent to the schools concerned.

Other students we spoke to said they have come across organisations which send such remarks about their CIP work to their schools. (See comment.)

And schools we spoke to confirmed that they do get feedback from the organisations on the performance of the students.

But are the VWOs allowed to award students CIP hours based on the amount of money they collect?

Under the programme, which started in 1988, all primary and secondary school students have to clock at least six CIP hours every year.

A Ministry of Education spokesman said the number of CIP hours awarded to the student is decided by both the school and the VWO.

Teachers The New Paper on Sunday spoke to said the norm is to award one CIP hour to one hour of community service.

For instance, a student who does six hours of work for a flag day should be awarded six CIP hours.

A spokesman for the National Council of Social Services said its guidelines do not require VWOs to evaluate the performance of volunteers.

But, she added, some schools might ask the VWOs to assess the students' performances so there can be fairer allocation of CIP hours to the students..

- Audrey Tan Ruiping and Bernice Huang, newsroom interns

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,195117,00.html?

Not fair to grade students based on sum raised
March 09, 2009

IS it fair to give student volunteers bad remarks based on how much they raise?

Most of the students, teachers, parents and VWO personnel we spoke to were against such a system.

Vibhu Gairola, a second-year junior college student, 18, called it 'disrespectful and offensive'.

'Intention and effort are what counts,' he added.

Miss Ouyang Chuchu, 19, who has just received her A-level results, agreed. 'If we are graded, it would be like a job, like those credit card companies whose staff have quotas to meet.'

First-year JC student Daniel Tan, 17, thinks such a grading system would send the wrong message to students.

'With such a system, students would be collecting to 'score well' with the VWO instead of genuinely wanting to help the community in need,' he said.

Parents were also not in favour.

Housewife Priscilla Kok, who is in her 40s, said: 'For flag days, how much you can collect depends on where you are stationed. You'll probably collect more in Orchard than in the heartland areas.

'It would be unfair to the students to be graded based on the weight of their tins.'

VWO personnel also believe it's the effort, not the money, that counts.

Mr Adrian Lim, corporate services manager for St Luke's Eldercare, said: 'We are happy they are helping out, especially during these tough times.'

Mr Alfred Tan, executive director of the Singapore Children's Society, said: 'Even though some students may just be fulfilling their CIP obligations, we are still appreciative of their efforts.'

But some were for a grading system based on the amount of money collected.

Second-year JC student Chng Xin Xuan, 18, said she knew of students who would sit around in fast-food outlets and wait until the last hour before they start asking for donations.

'(Grading students based on how much they collect) would be a good preventive measure against such behaviour.'

When students get negative remarks or grades from VWOs, teachers we spoke to said they would look into it.

Saint Gabriel Secondary School's teacher in charge of CIP, who gave her name only as Mrs Olsen, said: 'Allocation of CIP hours is based on the feedback given by the organisation. If bad remarks are given, I speak to the student and organisation to clarify the situation first.'

Mr Yeow Yong Keng, 30, the teacher in charge of CIP at Anglican High School, said the VWO's assessment helps him in grading the students for CIP.

'I would speak to the students who did not complete their tasks satisfactorily. At times, I might even ask them to repeat the activity.'

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think i did apex donkey years ago too
i left early
the lady did not say anything

they really send out too many tin cans, like student fighting for customers

jw5

Loyal
Some of these studets nowadays are really spoilt rotten by their parents and behave like brats in public.
I'm not surprised that some did not even bother to take this task seriously and dont't blame those who want to take them to task.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nex time, pay ppl moni 2 make collections 4 u la ...

lidat, if ppl dun collect enuf, u can eff dem 2 ur heart's content ...

in sg, evryting oso tok moni ... dun believe? ask ze gahmen ...

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
This part of the world have really change. Morally $$$.
There must be a stop to all this flag day things and building of schools
in other countries regionally. Our neighbours hv progressed.
Charity begins in our own homes.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some of these studets nowadays are really spoilt rotten by their parents and behave like brats in public.
I'm not surprised that some did not even bother to take this task seriously and dont't blame those who want to take them to task.

I always scold them whenever these students approach me to donate :biggrin:
I'd rather donate directly to the charities in kind........ i've stopped giving cash donations since the NKF scam :wink::p:wink:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They are giving hands on learning for the students, who, one day in the future, when they are really no work & unable to make money in SINgapore, they can beg with the tin. Then, they got to fill the tin!.

What then we send our sons & daughters to schools, to become beggars?

jw5

Loyal
I always scold them whenever these students approach me to donate :biggrin:
I'd rather donate directly to the charities in kind........ i've stopped giving cash donations since the NKF scam :wink::p:wink:
If I'm approached, I will ask the students what they are collecting for.
If they give a proper and coherent reply, I will donate.