• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Student brain-dead after taekwondo sparring match

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,207249,00.html?

STUDENT BRAIN-DEAD AFTER TAEKWONDO SPARRING MATCH
Teen was excited about competing
By Liew Hanqing

July 09, 2009

A SPARRING match turned into a tragedy that left a teenager brain-dead.

Vincent Tan, 17, a taekwondo green belt who had taken up the sport about a year ago, had taken part in the match at Kampong Kembangan Community Club last Sunday.

He was sparring with an opponent, a more experienced 15-year-old who apparently had a higher-ranked brown belt.

Just minutes into the sparring, Vincent was believed to have been kicked on the neck.

Lianhe Wanbao reported that he adjusted his head guard, but soon fell unconscious.

A Singapore Civil Defence Force spokesman said Vincent was taken unconscious to Changi General Hospital (CGH) with neck injuries at about 9.40am.

Vincent's sister, who also took part in the competition, accompanied him to CGH in the ambulance.

A family member told The New Paper that he was pronounced brain-dead yesterday.

Vincent's uncle, who declined to be named, told The New Paper that the family has numerous questions about the incident.

He said: 'We want to know why a green belt holder was allowed to spar with a brown belt holder.'

The competition was jointly organised by the Kampong Ubi-Kembangan Citizens Consultative Committee and the Greenville Residents' Committee, and supported by the Singapore Taekwondo Gymnasium.

Vincent's uncle also wondered about the safety measures at the competition.

'Was he wearing the required safety equipment? We all want to know,' he said.

When contacted, Vincent's mother declined comment.

The second of three children is a student at Nanyang Polytechnic. He had been learning taekwondo for about a year from an instructor based in Serangoon.

His uncle said he was enthusiastic about the sport and was excited about competing.

'But now, we just want answers,' he said.

When contacted, the Singapore Taekwondo Gymnasium declined to comment on the incident.

Mr Lim Teong Chin, 61, general manager of the Singapore Taekwondo Federation (STF), said the Singapore Taekwondo Gymnasium had pulled out of the federation in 1993.

He said: 'The Singapore Taekwondo Gymnasium used to be an affiliate of STF but has been operating independently since it pulled out of the federation,' he told The New Paper.

'Since they operate on their own, they also have their own set of rules and regulations for competitions.'

He said that under STF's regulations, a green belt would never be allowed to spar with a brown belt under any circumstances.

'Only brown belts, poom belts (junior black belts) and black belts are allowed to spar.'

He explained that this was to ensure that two people with too great a disparity in skills do not spar with each other.

He said: 'The difference in experience between a green belt and a brown belt can be more than a year.

'Green belts are at the stage where they've only just learnt how to spar, while brown belts have already been sparring for some time.'

He likened this to a person 'just learning how to walk' competing against somebody who 'already knows how to run'.

He said: 'Green belts are just too inexperienced to compete at this stage.'

Even for the more experienced brown belts, regulations require competitiors to be in the same weight and belt category to spar.

While competing, contestants are also required to suit up in protective gear, which includes a head guard, mouth guard and gloves.

Additional reporting by Audrey Tan, newsroom intern

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,207248,00.html?

Other martial arts: Common for different skill levels to spar
July 09, 2009

WHILE the Singapore Taekwondo Federation does not allow green belts to spar with the more experienced brown belts, at least two other martial arts have no such restrictions.

Singapore Judo Federation president Parga Singh said that those who hold at least a yellow belt - or have a minimum of four months' experience - can participate in judo competitions.

He said: 'Judo competitions are quite open. As long as coaches feel the participants are of the right skill level, they will be allowed to compete.'

Mr Singh said the only restriction is on novices with a white belt.

He added: 'At that stage, they have not yet learnt how to break their falls, so they will not be allowed to compete.'

He added that it was not unusual for someone of a lower grade to beat an opponent of a higher grade.

'Sometimes, the contestants' skills have already improved, but they don't go for grading. It is quite common for a green belt to beat a brown belt, for example,' he said.

Mr Singh said referees play a key role in a judo match to ensure the safety of the contestants.

'For example, if a participant kicks his opponent instead of sweeping, he could get disqualified,' he said.

In karate competitions, the participants also need not be of the same skill grade.

Singapore Karate-do Federation president Peter Chong said it is common for contestants of a lower skill grade to defeat those of a higher skill grade.

He said: 'Participants should have a minimum green belt, because that would mean they have at least a year or two of experience.'

Mr Chong said the colour of a participant's belt is not always the best indicator of skill level.

He said: 'If a person wishes to compete, his coach should advise him on whether he is ready.'

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
body guard and head gear are for sissy ...if you love fighting , go for UFC stlye or K1 ..when the going get tough , the tough get going .....thats what i call real man .

true fighter learn from pain

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rTkSG93i_Fw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rTkSG93i_Fw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAVH5MBg8Qo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XAVH5MBg8Qo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually prior to being a mix martial artist few years back (wing chun, taekwondo, grabbling - mixture of judo and brazillian jiujitsu fren teach one), taekwondo was my main art.

the first time i started sparring, i was a white belt. when i was yellow belt (next grade few months later) i took part in brown belt (prior level to black) competition.

in fact if one wish to learn martial art in any form, sparring since white is a must. this is just an unfortunate accident.

most likely this fellow was not well trained to take hit. an unconditioned person in any forms of martial art upon being hit, will closed his eyes or turn his back facing the opponent.

most likely this the case, to me this is totally the instructor fault. how can he let an unconditioned trainee goes in a competition? belt level to be honest in my years of experiences does not mean a single thing. conditioned to take hit or not is the key.

this bloody instructor must be a fucking new bird

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
when i was green belt, i had accidentally kicked the chest of my senoir in black belt while he fought with me. he rested for more than a month, and i said sorry to him for more than 1 year. i then discontinued my learning of taekwandoo

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
The brain dead guy came from poor family as read from the paper. Father passed away when young and with 2 siblings suppose to be young too.:rolleyes:

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
body guard and head gear are for sissy ...if you love fighting , go for UFC stlye or K1 ..when the going get tough , the tough get going .....thats what i call real man .

FYI, body/head gears are for amateaurs. The gears come off when you become pro fighter.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I had my way, in all deaths involving a minor, automatic showcause action to be issued to the parents/guardians to explain what precaution and due diligence was undertaken before the minor was allowed to undertake an activity.

Vincent's uncle, who declined to ...o spar with a brown belt holder.' [/QUOTE]

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

why fight, just relax and enjoy.. there is more life than fighting.