• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stop hogging that priority seat!

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/Motoring/Motorworld/Story/A1Story20090601-145215.html

Mon, Jun 01, 2009
my paper

20090601.102047_reserved_seats.jpg

By Cheryl Chia

PICTURE this: An elderly commuter gets on the train with grandchildren in tow.

She makes her way to the priority seats, only to find them occupied by young or teenage commuters who turn a blind eye to their situation.

This all-too-common scenario is among commuters' pet peeves, according to a check on citizen-journalism site Stomp.

Stomper ResistsS posted: "Sometimes I really cannot stand it and just have to remind commuters who have glued themselves to the priority seat with a sign (to give up their seats) above their head (to do as the sign says)!"

To get commuters to be more gracious, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has launched a new public-education programme, "A Happy Journey Starts Like That!", with the help of transport operators SBS Transit and SMRT.

lta-1.jpg

Arrows indicate where boarding riders
should stand.

Bigger signs proclaiming that such seats are reserved for commuters who need them, such as the elderly, have been put up.

Markings indicating where boarding commuters should stand to give way to alighting ones have been painted on the platforms.

Since the new measures were implemented two weeks ago, the response has been mixed, with some, like operations manager Agnes Lee, saying that all seats should be made available to those who need them most, such as the elderly and pregnant women.

Ms Lee, who is in her late 40s, said: "What's the point of making the signs bigger? I think it would be better to make all seats "priority" to really drive the point home."

Netizen Pintoneo posted on Sg- Forums: "I don't like it. People have the idea that if you don't sit in a priority seat, you don't have to give up your seat to someone in need."

But others felt it was a good step forward to make commuters more gracious.

Insurance executive Rina Ng, 54, said: "It is a good change as the signs are bigger and more eye-catching, compared with the previous ones."

Agreeing, polytechnic student Norhamilah Hashim, 19, said: "They are better than the previous 'priority seat' signs. With the signs being so large, people will definitely feel awkward not giving up their seats. I do see people avoiding those seats and giving them up to others."

The Public Transport Council and the LTA said that they "are hopeful that more passengers will give up the seats voluntarily" after the launch of the programme.

"By doing so, the civic-minded will, by example, exert a positive influence on others," they said.

[email protected]

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

easy solutions

those who sit on the priority seat! without valid reasons will be FINED $1000. The words "FINED $1000 for abusers" shall be written in bold on the seats

and on top of the priority seat!
- Those who report abusers of priority seats to the MRT authorities will be given a cash reward of $200.

I can guarantee you, no priority seats will be occupied by the non-needy 24/7/365 :biggrin:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

easy solutions

those who sit on the priority seat! without valid reasons will be FINED $1000. The words "FINED $1000 for abusers" shall be written in bold on the seats

- Those who report abusers of priority seats to the MRT authorities will be given a cash reward of $200.

I can guarantee you, no priority seats will be occupied by the non-needy 24/7/365 :biggrin:

you sound like an PAP ministers. Fine fine fine.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if the priority seat is not working

then it should be removed.

every seat should be give up to people who need them most.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if the priority seat is not working

then it should be removed.

every seat should be give up to people who need them most.

The seats were previously labelled "Priority Seating". Obviously people ignored those signs & now they are labelled "Reserved". SMRT must care alot if they are wasting $$$ re-labeling the seats :smile:

Since I pay the same fare as everyone else & it is public transport why should I give up my seat to anyone :confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It sound so crazy, but it might just work! Make all seats prioritized.

Its not crazy lah. Just get rid of all the wayang by SMRT, SBC,...

They want to pack the people in like sardines & then they want to show they care by putting these reserved signs.

If those clown really care they would run more frequent trains.

Instead expect people from STOMP to take pictures of tired people sitiing in these "reserved" seats :rolleyes:

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its not crazy lah. Just get rid of all the wayang by SMRT, SBC,...

They want to pack the people in like sardines & then they want to show they care by putting these reserved signs.

If those clown really care they would run more frequent trains.

Instead expect people from STOMP to take pictures of tired people sitiing in these "reserved" seats :rolleyes:

How often are trains running during peak? Thought I saw on the news paper that they'll be raising the frequency of trains months ago.

jw5

Loyal

easy solutions

The fine of $500 for eating and drinking has not stopped many people from doing so.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How often are trains running during peak? Thought I saw on the news paper that they'll be raising the frequency of trains months ago.

Do you believe everything you read :smile:

If you got 5+ million people in Spore you'll also have packed trains during off hours. It is really funny when SMRT can only boast shorter waiting time during 12-1pm(lunch time), but what about the other times :rolleyes:

Vendetta

Alfrescian
Loyal

easy solutions

Very difficult to enforce leh. Put 1 Jeremy poodle guard 1 seat???

:biggrin:

Airlib

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somehow the problem lies with the society... Singaporeans had came to the stage where gracious is long gone.. Even all the morals education in school is just wayang, cos if the parents at home don;t share the right values.. Even the school get the students to write the whole civics and morals text book 100 times also no use lor.
Perhaps by developing the country into a 1st world country, we had neglected the social aspect of it.
Anyway.. does such things happen in other countries as well?? As in the govt must label big big, draw big lines to tell you where to stand and queue?? Perhaps fellow forum users who are well traveled can share abit??

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
This whole idea of giving up seats is really upsetting, sometimes when there are plenty of empty seats I also don't bother to sit already. Becos after a few stops, some old aunties or uncles will stand infront of you making you feel guilty of sitting down!:o

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somehow the problem lies with the society... Singaporeans had came to the stage where gracious is long gone.. Even all the morals education in school is just wayang, cos if the parents at home don;t share the right values.. Even the school get the students to write the whole civics and morals text book 100 times also no use lor.
Perhaps by developing the country into a 1st world country, we had neglected the social aspect of it.
Anyway.. does such things happen in other countries as well?? As in the govt must label big big, draw big lines to tell you where to stand and queue?? Perhaps fellow forum users who are well traveled can share abit??

That is exactly what it is .... Society.

Every society will have their bad apples, however Singapore is a country with high literacy, and education is a more than a personal pursuit. It's quite understandable if the community is impoverished and ppl are desperate, but this is not the case. Also, there's this thing about being "1st world." WTF is it? GDP? Number of graduates per so many....? Seems to me the only thing "1st world" about Sg is per capita energy consumption. Some Singpaporeans are searching within to find out where the nation missed this graciousness thing; but most don't care, they don't even think it's an issue, as long as they have many country club labels on their car windshield, they have more right to push their way through the crowd.

Can Singaporeans take instruction/advice/suggestion from a peer/stranger, or heed only when it comes from authority? Can Singaporeans do things because of consideration for others, or only act to aviod a fine? Perhaps that's Singaporeans can start.

Cheers!

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Import more PRC to enhance our stock

When in China I notice people help old folks carry things, give up seats, give way

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This whole idea of giving up seats is really upsetting, sometimes when there are plenty of empty seats I also don't bother to sit already. Becos after a few stops, some old aunties or uncles will stand infront of you making you feel guilty of sitting down!:o

I know what you you mean by feeling guilty but if you are tired, what are you going to do :confused:

I also don't bother finding seats when there are so many aunties & uncles out there. I'm getting old nowdays & tire easily & if I feel like sitting what right has SMRT got to deny me that privilege :confused:

I pay the same fare as everyone else, so why must I be treated as a 2nd/3rd class passenger :confused:

As for those pregnant females, it is a choice they make to be pregnant & for taking public transport. I reserve the right to choose whether or not to give up my seat. Females already have extra rights under the womens charter & as someone who is male I think thats unfair. They also don't have to do NS, so if they have to stand, TOUGH, its tough to be a Sporean :rolleyes:

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
you sound like an PAP ministers. Fine fine fine.

True, How to enforce? I prefer solving it with violence.

First snap a photo with your hand phone for evidence.

Then made it legal to bash the person up if he refuse to cooperate.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you got 5+ million people in Spore you'll also have packed trains during off hours. It is really funny when SMRT can only boast shorter waiting time during 12-1pm(lunch time), but what about the other times :rolleyes:

the increased frequency of trains during lunchtime is for those FTs/expats to travel to their favourite restaurant serving their native cuisine ...

these ppl cannot simply eat at any food centre near their office building bcos they can't stomach our local dishes ...

so transport authorities try and make them 'feel at home' as much as possible ...

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal

No, I don't believe everything I read, I just don't question everything I read. I seldom take the train, that's why I don't know if the frequency has any improvement at all.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
True, How to enforce? I prefer solving it with violence.

First snap a photo with your hand phone for evidence.

Then made it legal to bash the person up if he refuse to cooperate.

you remove priority seat, so all seat are equal. Then no one will be angry that someone in priority seat have to give up their seat.

problem solved.