• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stop Corruption in P1 Admission Process!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Review volunteer priority for P1 places
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I APPLAUD the Government's initiative to build a world-class education system, as highlighted in the Ministry of Education's addendum to the President's Address to Parliament.
One area that has to be addressed in the primary education sector is the transparency and relevance of the priority given to parent volunteers (PVs) under Phase 2B of the current Primary 1 (P1) admission exercise.
Volunteerism in schools should come from parents of its current cohort. Their intention for volunteering should stem from a desire to know what their child is involved in at school.
In the West, parents commonly choose from a wide array of school committees to be involved in supporting the school. Their involvement creates an informal parent-student network and their efforts are natural and socially encouraged.
While some schools here do have parent support groups formed by parents of existing students, the PV scheme for yet-to-be students of the school creates a highly competitive situation during the short-listing process in the case of 'popular schools'. It is common to hear of parents being rejected because their skill-sets do not match the school's needs. And for those who get through, the heartache comes when balloting is required even after the parents have put in significant amount of time and effort.
The ability to contribute based on skill-set matching may exclude children from lower- to middle- income families whose parents are often less affluent (to provide funding) or lack the time and skills that the school may be looking for.
The Ministry of Education ought to review the registration process so as to not to add to the stress of working parents who truly want to put their children in the best schools through a fair process.
Ho Sulin (Ms)

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Ministry of Education ought to review the registration process so as to not to add to the stress of working parents who truly want to put their children in the best schools through a fair process.
Ho Sulin (Ms)

Her main gripe with the process is that she is a lesser mortal trying to put her children in the BEST school by trying every viable means.

Even if you can put your children in the best school with the best sort after educators. There is no assurance that the child will turn out the best in the system.

I seen crazy parents trying ways and means just to put their children to prestigous schools. The best one I heard about a mother who is a non christian whom had her son baptised so that he could attend St Andrew school. Another I guess is Hong Wen where lots of parents queue up just to volunteer.

I just wonder whether are the parents of Singapore rational with the school hype or plain stupid.

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is a great place for bringing out the ugliness of Human nature. Mostly due to the policy set forth buy PAP.

This Admission process is one good example.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
It means MOE is not training the teachers well. Only a few schools are good so everyone try to squeeze in.

Sack those non-performing teachers who are not in those top few schools or cut their pay! They are not as good as they are supposed to be!

(I remember about 5 years back when Peter Chen was MOE MOS, he CLOSED primary schools! How come now say not enough schools?)