• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

STB $40 million Orchard Road Upgrading

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Straits Times

No-change Orchard - money could be better spent?

I refer to the $40-million makeover of Orchard Road in the article So, What's New? (LifeStyle, March 15).

Despite the best intentions of the Singapore Tourism Board (STB), I think the money could have been better spent elsewhere. The beautiful flower towers and elegant glass panels are barely noticeable against the steel and concrete towers of the malls.

I have a few suggestions on where the money could have been spent.

Improve the pedestrian walkways and underpasses between shopping malls. Widen them, replace steps with ramps, escalators with travellators and/or lifts. This will make Orchard Road more accessible to people with prams, the elderly and those in wheelchairs.

Consider building elevated walkways connecting the shopping malls along both sides of Orchard Road. The walkways could also serve as blank canvases for artists and designers.

How about turning Orchard Road into a street for pedestrians only? With the Circle Line & Downtown Line MRT extensions, there would be less reason for Singaporeans to drive through Orchard Road. If needed, elevated roadways above Bukit Timah Road or a tunnel under Orchard Road itself could be built.

This would cost a lot more than $40 million but given the economic downturn and the drop in tourist arrivals and spending, it would be cheaper and less disruptive if we were to start work now.

Edwin Chow

I personally didn't notice any changes or help in my sales!

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Straits Times

No-change Orchard - money could be better spent?

I refer to the $40-million makeover of Orchard Road in the article So, What's New? (LifeStyle, March 15).

Despite the best intentions of the Singapore Tourism Board (STB), I think the money could have been better spent elsewhere. The beautiful flower towers and elegant glass panels are barely noticeable against the steel and concrete towers of the malls.

I have a few suggestions on where the money could have been spent.

Improve the pedestrian walkways and underpasses between shopping malls. Widen them, replace steps with ramps, escalators with travellators and/or lifts. This will make Orchard Road more accessible to people with prams, the elderly and those in wheelchairs.

Consider building elevated walkways connecting the shopping malls along both sides of Orchard Road. The walkways could also serve as blank canvases for artists and designers.

How about turning Orchard Road into a street for pedestrians only? With the Circle Line & Downtown Line MRT extensions, there would be less reason for Singaporeans to drive through Orchard Road. If needed, elevated roadways above Bukit Timah Road or a tunnel under Orchard Road itself could be built.

This would cost a lot more than $40 million but given the economic downturn and the drop in tourist arrivals and spending, it would be cheaper and less disruptive if we were to start work now.

Edwin Chow

I personally didn't notice any changes or help in my sales!

How much did they spend?? 40m? Was in town last week, so want to check out waht the big hoo ha was about. Only noticeable chnge were the glass panels.. and had to look out for them too.

so much for all the suspense and money down the drain :mad:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
the lamps also not cheap leh. somemore the consultants leh. must be angmohs, right? we need to pay for them and their exploits at Orchard Tower leh.