• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ST Boo Boo - Adventurer denies he has leukaemia

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Adventurer denies he has leukaemia

I AM very grateful for The Straits Times' strong support which has contributed to the success of my many sporting and philanthropic projects during the past two decades. I have always respected the paper for accurate and responsible reporting in the past. Unfortunately, it was not the case yesterday.
The Sunday Times reported me as having acute myelogenous leukaemia or AML ('Paraplegic adventurer battling leukaemia'). I do not have AML.

It is not surprising that from time to time, athletes become unwell from sports injuries or chronic illnesses. For instance, I broke my sixth left rib during a collision with a donkey in Cairo during an ultra marathon event. Then I had a stress fracture of the seventh left rib in Boston last year during the selection trial for the Beijing Paralympics. However, I bounced back after months of quiet recuperation.

Like all human beings, I do have my share of chronic illnesses and pain, which are confidential and do not warrant any major concern and publicity. It is all part of our journey in life. Notwithstanding, I have been busy training. In fact, I just competed at the Singapore Disability Sports Council's selection trials for the Asean Para Games in August. I am busy preparing for a world-record attempt some time this year to raise funds towards The Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund.

There are important national security, health-care and financial issues to worry us already. We do not need to add such inaccurate news to the burden. I am requesting a public apology as the irresponsible reporting has raised concerns and confusion among friends, loved ones and family. I am particularly worried for my frail 82-year-old mother for whom we celebrated Mother's Day yesterday. She might get a misrepresentation of my health and suffer an emotional breakdown.

Dr William Tan
Peak Performance and Resilience Speaker

EDITOR'S NOTE: We apologise to Dr Tan and his family for the error.