• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'pore MP: We are hipper than Obama

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly/0,4139,182205,00.html?
Local politicians, including MP Teo Ser Luck, turn 'rock stars' for a good cause
YOU have seen them in Parliament, at grassroots events and at opening ceremonies.
By Elysa Chen

03 November 2008
YOU have seen them in Parliament, at grassroots events and at opening ceremonies.

Now, get ready to see the other side of your Members of Parliament.

Meet your rock star MPs, and others who were making catcalls and whistling when fellow MP Indranee Rajah, took to the stage to practise her duet during rehearsals.

And there were the ones who brought the house down with their crazy antics and mischievous grins.

The live band, led by Mr Teo Ser Luck, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports, consists of five other MPs: MrMichael Palmer and Ms Jessica Tan on the vocals, Mr Liang Eng Hwa who plays the drums, Mr Zainudin Nordin who plays the guitar and Mr Zaqy Mohamad on the keyboard.

They had their first performance on Friday night at the University Cultural Hall during a concert, Sing Sing Sing, which was organised to raise funds for the Singapore Street Festival.

Playful mood

The Singapore Street Festival is an event to promote creative and artistic activities among local youths.

The New Paper on Sunday spoke to the band during rehearsals just before the performance, and caught the MPs in a playful mood.

They danced on stage, pushed each other around, belted out their songs with gusto and cheekily made 'peace' signs with their fingers while standing behind fellow performers.

Referred to by his bandmates as 'the chief', Mr Teo said: 'We're hipper than Obama. I've done some research, and we are the first band to be formed by politicians.'

Watching their chemistry and performance, one might think that they have been jamming together for a long time.

But all the band members were quick to confess that they only had their first jamming session in a studio near Simei which lasted into the wee hours of Friday morning.

Mr Teo had been floating the idea to start a band for the last couple of months, but it was necessity that finally brought the six of them together.

He said: 'We have heard of promising musicians among the MPs, and we've been having the intention to form a band.

'It was just right that this event was being held. What's more, it's for a good cause.'

Most of them had heard the song they were going to sing, Built to Last by American pop band Melee, for the first time only on Thursday night.

Ms Tan chose it after hearing it on the radio.

Terrible

When asked if their band was built to last, Ms Tan said: 'Our friendship is built to last, but the band is terrible.'

To much laughter, Mr Palmer quipped: 'The fact that we can still stay together after hearing each other sing probably shows that (we're built to last)!'

And yes, they do intend to keep it going.

Another MP at Friday's performance was Dr Mohamad Maliki Osman, who played the classic favourite Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xin (The Moon Represents My Heart, in Mandarin) on the guzheng.

Explaining his choice of instrument, he said: 'I have always been intrigued by Chinese culture and the guzheng after watching Chinese gong fu series on TV.

'When I play the guzheng, I can imagine myself in a period drama with the lake, the bamboo and the pavillion!'

Dr Maliki had fallen so much in love with the instrument and the 'melodious music' that he bought a $1,000 guzheng to play at home.

However, as Friday was his first solo performance, Dr Maliki was very nervous, especially since the song he was playing was a very well-known song.

'If I miss just one note, everyone will know.

'But hopefully, the people will 'yuan liang' (forgive in Mandarin) my 'yue liang' (moon in Mandarin)!' he added with a chuckle.

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bart,

Haven't they learnt anything from their "hip-hopping" days?

They are not working for the people, surely. They have so much time to do all this sort of nonsense but have no time to stand up in Parliament and state that SG Power and the Gencos tariff hike is just too bloody much!

Well, like all of us know, their literal song and dance routine is now complete.

Cheers,

MM

Well, we have to really thank them for giving us more ammunition.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anatomically speaking, the hip is very close to the ass

And they don't to have any clue which is which

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being hip doesn't mean you pretend to be hip, Mr. Teo. Everyone knows that you all couldn't dance for shat in hip-hop. Everyone knows that you don't listen to Jay Z and Kanye West. Everyone knows that you probably think that the fist-jab is a terrorist fist jab.

And everyone knows that by posing as a musical band, you're just posing and its not for real.

Please, Mr. Teo, if you wanna show people that you are hip, then be a bit more genuine. Don't pretend. I mean, even if you listen to U2 songs, you would still look a bit more hip. But when you think you can sing songs that you yourself don't like, then I think the only guy you're fooling is yourself.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
NOTHING BUT A GROUP OF MOTHERFUCKERS!!

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_ECMP-W6H.jpg

HAVING FUN: Mr Teo Ser Luck making the peace sign behind Miss Indranee Rajah while she sings in the finale song.

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_ECMP-O8Z.jpg

Mr Zaqy Mohamad, Mr Michael Palmer, Ms Jessica Tan and Mr Teo rehearsing. TNP PICTURES: KELVIN CHNG

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_ECMP-3US.jpg

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only in absolute desperation do people make such statements. Economic conditions are clear.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When the old farts are at a lost (or rather loss) under the current financial crisis, they will mobilise the young farts to create distraction.
I suspect they are keeping all the young clowns rolling on stage in preparation for the next elections..
Also mediacock kept associating the Marina reservoirs with pap to enchance their credit though image has already been done by pap in the current crisis.
Expect more propaganding downt he road...prior to election day.