• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'pore is doomed: Downtown Line MRT breakdowns enter 12th hour today

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
More than 12 hours after a signalling fault which slowed trains down to a crawl on the new Downtown MRT line, technicians are still unable to find out what is wrong with the system, or how long they will need to fix it.

In a joint statement issued at 3.42pm on Thursday (March 1), operator SBS Transit and regulator the Land Transport Authority said Singapore's newest line was "affected by a signalling system fault at Bayfront station at 6.01am".

"As a result, trains approaching Bayfront station in both directions had to be driven manually and at a lower speed," it added.

By 7.30am, technicians had isolated the fault to a stretch from Promenade to Bayfront stations - a distance of one stop - in the direction of Expo.

The statement said there was still additional travel time of up to 15 minutes between the two stops over the affected stretch.

Because of the slowdown along this stretch, trains on the entire line are also bunching up, causing travelling speeds to drop across several stations.

The signalling system was supplied by German engineering giant Siemens.

During the morning rush hour, hundreds of commuters were affected.

When The Straits Times was at Kaki Bukit station at about 8.30am, the trains were packed and commuters were unable to board.

Ms Melissa Ngo, a 39-year-old accounts manager, said: "I was heading to Bendemeer and I went down to the platform but I didn't think I would be able to get on the train, so I left. Usually, the trains here are very fast, I think this is the first time I've encountered something like this."

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Ms Melissa Ngo, a 39-year-old accounts manager, said: "I was heading to Bendemeer and I went down to the platform but I didn't think I would be able to get on the train, so I left. Usually, the trains here are very fast, I think this is the first time I've encountered something like this.""

Oh!, the first time, my, my, my...there is always a first time!..The first cut is the deepest, but never mind, Melissa, you will get used to the pain & enjoy, years of delays to come. Whom did you vote for?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not breakdown, it slowed to a crawl. Just 12 hours. Sinkies these days so impatient.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
21950006_1581564368569444_789401901077184702_o-696x471.jpg

All these did not apparently helped.......

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone already said " Actually if I may be bold and say so, we have a first class transport system in Singapore ".
Since you are not his brother, you want to kena sue is it?
I always wonder why never ask these world class talents from NTU (ranked world no 5 in Engineering and Technology) and NUS (ranked 7th) to sort out the now almost weekly train breakdowns.
Why ask Japs (Tokyo U ranked 8th) or Taiwanese (National Taiwan ranked a lowly 19th) for help?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I thought they say only chink's supplied equipment can be faulty? This is German.

Where is @tanwahtiu when we need you?

chittychitty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lacking basic rail engineering expertise, Singapore’s state-owned transport operator SBS Transit and the government’s Land Transport Authority surrendered after spending more than two days trying to troubleshoot a signalling fault at the new Downtown Line:

“The root cause of Thursday’s full-day glitch on the Downtown line – Singapore’s newest MRT line – remains a mystery. The fault was traced to a synchronisation issue between two sets of signalling equipment. While the immediate cause of the signalling fault has been resolved, but we don’t know what caused this glitch in the equipment.”

On Thursday (Mar 1), the 5-month-old Downtown Line saw a paralysing service disruption which had trains travelling at 18km/h, and stopping more than 15 minutes at each station.

The Singapore government then passed the ball to signalling system supplier Siemens and said that the supplier will continue investigation:

“Siemens will continue its investigations into the root cause of the failed synchronisation of the signalling equipment to prevent a recurrence.”

More at
SBS Transit and LTA: Signalling fault is a mystery

MarcusTan

Alfrescian
Loyal
After the last public scolding of Thales, Siemens might have felt it was better to leave it as a “mystery”.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
SMRT should have a contest open to public...let them guess the mystery fault and winner gets a prize.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
No mystery at all, most likely so cheap labor farked certified by the authority probably installed wrongly n no mf checked, it's a deep shitted cultural problem