• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sorry Tony, like it or not, Clarke Quay downgrade

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hopefully Clarke Quay will go the way of Mohd Sultan and Boat Quay, Singapore is just too damn crowded and all this faggoty places should be shut down.

Hooray!

Clubs, restaurants at Clarke Quay say a price war is not sustainable
By Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 27 January 2009 1724 hrs

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/405120/1/.html
Photos 1 of 1

Clarke Quay at night

SINGAPORE : As economic woes hit businesses, it is no surprise then that clubs and restaurants at Clarke Quay have also been impacted.

"Golden Ox Caviar Lo Hei" is being introduced in a Persian restaurant at Clarke Quay - just one of the many ways the company is trying to rope in more business.

Like other establishments, it said the number of people coming remains the same but spending has gone down some 20 per cent.

Qumars Akbar, managing director, Shiraz, said: "We are trying to maintain the same quality and price. Last five or six months, the price of products we import has changed. Almost 50 per cent of the products being used here is imported. But we maintain the same pricing to hold the customers."

And to hold customers, it has introduced more fast food stores selling kebabs and extended operating hours to capture casual diners.

Several establishments at the Clarke Quay area are giving out massive discounts, but at the same time, a lot of them are wary of a prolonged price war.

Tony Tan, managing director, Baize & China One, said: "...everyone is doing the same (reducing prices across the board), it does not help boost up sales in any of the outlets.

"By lowering prices, you give the wrong signal to your clients. You will bring the wrong clients to your place and they cannot network."

Bernard Lim, executive vice-president, LifeBrandz, said: "During this Chinese New Year period, we have a big bottle promotion. But we know that it is (a) short term (measure) because in the long term, it will just drive the market down...and we can't sustain that."

Price wars are said to have destroyed the bubbling nightlife at Boat Quay and Mohd Sultan Road.

And clubs as well as food and beverage outlets said they will probably get a sense of the full impact once the Lunar New Year period is over. - CNA/ms

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
An old friend whom I've not seen for the past 5 years came to pai nian me yesterday..... asked for a loan and he offer me 40% share in his restaurant in Boat Quay in return..... me not in F & B business so wanna know whether can take up his offer ?

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
If business is good he won't need you !

If it is risky, he needs you to share his risk.
Human nature have not change for a thousand years.

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
An old friend whom I've not seen for the past 5 years came to pai nian me yesterday..... asked for a loan and he offer me 40% share in his restaurant in Boat Quay in return..... me not in F & B business so wanna know whether can take up his offer ?

Not seen for 5 years, then want borrow money? You mean you still need to ask?

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is reminding us to just be careful !

People who pop out out of the blue and become your instant best friend.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal

40% of ZERO is still ZERO. That's the best case in these depressing times. Maybe your friend who you had not seen in 5 years is looking for a sucker to put money upfront while taking a 40% liability in his business. You will likely also end up being responsible for 40% of the losses.

jw5

Loyal
The danger sign is that you have not seen him for the past 5 years.
Havng said that, have you tried the food in the restaurant?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nvrmind, maybe the waitresses at the restaurant will repay in kind if the owner cannot pay haha...imagine a whole hareem of chicks to screw...keke.

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
nvrmind, maybe the waitresses at the restaurant will repay in kind if the owner cannot pay haha...imagine a whole hareem of chicks to screw...keke.

Haven't seen any hot waitresses lately, I think all the hot chicks all went to FL or WL themselves in GL.

Don't shit in your own back yard if you are really the boss la. I've seen this restaurant where two PRC waitresses literally "fought" over the GM in the kitchen and in the end, they had to change the entire team. They didn't hire PRCs after that. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Isn't this a really bad time to invest in a restaurant? The fixed costs like rent and labour are high and the revenue can be variable given how uncertain the economy is. Once you get in, the investment is "fixed" and can't be taken out easily.

The founder of Botak Jones used to own Bernie's, this pub, which got hit during the Asian Crisis. Usually discretionary spending like eating out gets hit the most during economic downturns. :eek:

I'm not trying to stop you from helping a friend, but investing in F&B now is just suicide. :smile:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not seen for 5 years, then want borrow money? You mean you still need to ask?

Actually when times are bad, if you give a loan, don't expect to get it back. It happened to many people. Depends on the friendship la. I would just "lend" and give it away, :biggrin: done that before.

If two people are really good friends, then how many years you've not seen each other is not the problem. I also have gfs I've not seen in some years, but partly because their bfs tend to fall for me so I'm keeping out of the way, in case history gets repeated. :smile::smile::smile: In that case, I still treat them as friends what. :p:p:p:wink::wink::wink:

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also have gfs I've not seen in some years, but partly because their bfs tend to fall for me so I'm keeping out of the way, in case history gets repeated. :smile::smile::smile: In that case, I still treat them as friends what. :p:p:p:wink::wink::wink:

You is saying you very swee izzit ? :rolleyes:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
You is saying you very swee izzit ? :rolleyes:

No la. I'm saying those guys are very bad. I'm so ugly they can still like me, can you imagine how bad they are?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You guys are very funny, I'm spend so much time online, how "swee" can I be? :biggrin: If I was that chio, I would be modelling like Dawn Yang already, why bother reading online news and surfing forums?? :p:wink::smile: Make sense? :smile::smile::smile:

So yah, don't forget Fiona Xie is only free enough to blog but not free enough to surf sammyboy. :smile::smile::smile:

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>>>>So yah, don't forget Fiona Xie is only free enough to blog but not free enough to surf sammyboy. <<<<<<<<

are you sure she can reach the keyboard with her supersized front

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>>>>So yah, don't forget Fiona Xie is only free enough to blog but not free enough to surf sammyboy. <<<<<<<<

are you sure she can reach the keyboard with her supersized front

Who says women with big boobs can't type on the computer? :p:p:p

Before anyone tries to say that I'm saying that my boobs are big, isn't this about how long one's arms are?? :p:p:p:wink::wink::wink::smile::smile::smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He might be financially stressed because of other matters. Just go through the books of the outlet for the last 3 years, discount for current/forecast climate and you might have a winner.

Only thing to note that if it an entertainment joint that started as high octane/fast, it tends to die down after a few years. If its low octane, it tends to go a distance.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
so wanna know whether can take up his offer ?

It's YOUR money! You can do what you like with it. :rolleyes:

Only YOU can assess the viability of the offer but I can assure you that no businessman will offer you a 40% cut of profits for a song. If he wants your $$$, it's because the business is losing money big time.:p It'll be up to you to turn things around.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
40% share also mean 40% liability. For a small operations, the books may not be updated. Make sure you are aware of all debts (suppliers, workers' wages, govt charges etc).