• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

social Darwinist would eliminate all who I see unfit

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
'Nobody has ever alleged any chicanery - no bribery, no coercion, no nothing. We have never won less than... two-thirds of the vote,' Mr Lee said. -- YY YEONG

IN GOVERNING Singapore, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew sees no need to follow anyone's prescription on democracy.

Instead, his focus is on what works.

Speaking last Sunday on the CNN programme Global Public Square, Mr Lee said his goal is to keep Singapore a first-world oasis in a third-world situation.

'I am not following any prescription given me by any theoretician on democracy. I work from first principles, what will get me there - social peace and stability within the country, no fight between the races, between religions, fair shares for all, everybody is a homeowner,' he said.

Host Fareed Zakaria, editor of Newsweek International, said Mr Lee had achieved remarkable success for Singapore in his lifetime.

But he also noted the criticisms that Mr Lee had exercised too tight a control over the country, leading to 'too domineering and coercive a state'.

Mr Lee, Singapore's first Prime Minister from 1959 to 1990, replied that Singaporeans can choose which government they want to have through the vote.

'Nobody has ever alleged any chicanery - no bribery, no coercion, no nothing. We have never won less than... two-thirds of the vote,' he said.

Singapore also has the best-educated work force anywhere in Asia. Within another 10 years, it might become the best educated 'anywhere in the world', he added.

He hopes Singapore will follow America's lead in areas such as inventiveness and creativity, but not its inability to control either drug or gun problems.

'These are my choices. I go by what is good governance.

'What are the things I aim to do? A healthy society that gives everybody a chance to achieve his maximum,' he said.

Asked about the difficulties that opposition political parties face in Singapore, he maintained that it was not the Government's business to enable the opposition to overturn it.

On the United States' efforts to spread democracy around the world, Mr Lee expressed his doubts that they would succeed.

'I don't think it's do-able,' he said, adding that he was a 'social Darwinist' who believed that only the need to survive pushed societies to change.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_281688.html?vgnmr=1

['I don't think it's do-able,' he said, adding that he was a 'social Darwinist' who believed that only the need to survive pushed societies to change.]

SOCIAL DARWINIST? NAH BEH!

On November 7, 2007, 18-year-old student Pekka-Eric Auvinen shot six students, the school's headmistress and a nurse before turning his gun on himself.

Auvinen, who had posted footage foreshadowing the November 2007 massacre on YouTube, was a student at the school.

In the video, Pekka-Eric Auvinen, 18, described himself as a "social Darwinist" who would "eliminate all who I see unfit".

The 2007 attack triggered a fierce debate about gun laws in the Nordic nation with deep-rooted traditions of hunting in the sub-Arctic wilderness.

With 1.6 million firearms in private hands, Finland is an anomaly in Europe, lagging behind only the US and Yemen in civilian gun ownership.