• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

So SHAMEFUL, yet he doesn't want to SHAME them

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another one!

http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,210946,00.html?

So SHAMEFUL, yet he doesn't want to SHAME them
82-year-old man eats free food at S'pore Buddhist Lodge. He gets a total of $200 a month from his 4 grown children. Can the Maintenance of Parents Act help him?
By Liew Hanqing

August 20, 2009

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_HQLODGE.jpg

TNP PICTURE: PHYLLICIA WANG

SURE, there is the Parents' Maintenance Act and he can compel his children to support him.

But what of the family name? And face?

No, Mr Ng would not have it. No matter how bad it is, the family name has to be protected.

So the elderly man suffers in silence alone - despite having four working children.

The 82-year-old lives alone in a rental two-room flat in Henderson.

Several times a week, he makes his way to the Singapore Buddhist Lodge at River Valley Road, and spends the day there for food and company.

His is the face of a dilemma that will grow with Singapore's ageing population. The issue, filial piety, is more complex than it seems.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong touched on the subject in Sunday's National Day Rally speech and said the Government will study how best to use the Maintenance of Parents Act to get children who dump their parents in nursing homes and hospitals to do their filial duty.

But it may not be as clear-cut as legislation.

Mr Ng's four children are busy with their own lives. Together, they give him less than $200 a month.

He said they never visit him - not even on Chinese New Year. It is not clear when they last visited him.

And he is too proud to reach out to them.

The former odd-job worker will not ask his children for more, nor will he take them to task for not doing as much as they should.

He does not know that, under the Maintenance of Parents Act, he can apply for the courts to compel them to support him.

When told about this, he declined to even consider it. The reason: Shame. And face.

He even asked that we not publish his full name as he 'does not want to appear pitiful'.

He only agreed to be photographed from the back because he 'does not want to bring shame' to his family.

Mr Ng, like many lonely and elderly Singaporeans, yearns for company.

He told The New Paper in Mandarin: 'It's boring at home, and I want to try to save some money, so I eat here.'

Mr Ng is estranged from his three sons and daughter, who are all in their 50s.

'No conscience'

His savings have also been wiped out.

He claimed to have befriended a foreign national in her 40s two years ago, who had asked him for a large sum of money.

He said: 'I was too trusting. She said she was sick and needed money, and I gave it to her thinking she was prepared to stay with me.

'But she had no conscience. After taking my savings, she left and cut off all contact with me.'

Mr Ng estimated he gave the woman about $100,000, which was all the money he had at the time.

He said: 'My children can't stand the sight of me now because they think I'm stupid for giving somebody all my money.

'My eldest son, who is a hawker, sometimes leaves money for me with my brother, and I collect it myself.'

Aside from the money he gets from his two older children, his two younger sons do not help out much.

His eldest son pays his monthly utility bills, which are usually less than $100.

'My youngest son can't even take care of himself - he likes to gamble. He's also divorced and has to pay monthly maintenance to his ex-wife,' Mr Ng said.

He added: 'Actually, I'm quite lucky that my health is fine, except for high blood pressure.'

He also needs medication for a chronic skin condition, which results in itchy welts.

'I applied for help for my medical costs and thankfully I can get most of my medicine free,' he said. He cannot remember who helped him.

Other than spending $50 a month on transport, Mr Ng said he has hardly any other expenses.

'When I am hungry at home, I eat biscuits or make oatmeal for myself,' he said.

To keep himself occupied at night, he watches TV for hours until he falls asleep past midnight.

He said: 'I have a lot of troubles, so I will think about a lot of things before I can fall asleep.

'My children are not filial - not a single one of them. It's so sad that four children cannot even support one old man.'

Mr Lee Bock Guan, 64, president of the Singapore Buddhist Lodge, sees about three cases similar to Mr Ng's every month.

In some cases, Mr Lee said, staff from the lodge would contact the families of these elderly people to help them resolve their differences and to urge them to take care of their aged parents.

He said in Mandarin: 'In some cases, they listen to us, but others tell us not to interfere in their family matters.'

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
He lost 100k to a PRC woman so he just have to go Buddhist Lodge to eat vegetarian food for the rest of his life. Listen to Buddhist chants and eat vege food. It is not that bad a life. His eldest son still gives him $$ and pay his utility bills. So not that bad.

There are always two sides to the story. They shld interview his sons as well.

Communist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another Old and Dumb Singapore duped by a PRC story. The consolation is that most of these dumb cocks had been PAP supporters all their lives.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
pride comes before a fall...

don't blame his kids for thinking he's a dumb ass who gave all his money to some tiong bu, stupid robert!

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes, brother, you are right. must listen to stories from both sides. I also learn that an old man often complains about his children ill treat him and do
not give anything to him. This guy had beaten his wife and his children, lived with a mistress when he was younger, and demanded money from his wife. He never cared and gave only violence and sorrow to his wife and children. Now he deserves this.

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
He lost 100k to a PRC woman so he just have to go Buddhist Lodge to eat vegetarian food for the rest of his life. Listen to Buddhist chants and eat vege food. It is not that bad a life. His eldest son still gives him $$ and pay his utility bills. So not that bad.

There are always two sides to the story. They shld interview his sons as well.

agreed! ..