• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkies are not happy that NParks is genociding Yio Chu Kang wild chickens!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Harmless or nuisance? Yio Chu Kang residents divided over NParks contractors capturing wild chickens in estate​

Harmless or nuisance? Yio Chu Kang residents divided over NParks contractors capturing wild chickens in estate

PHOTO: Facebook/Singapore Wildlife Sightings, Shin Min Daily News
PUBLISHED ON
October 12, 2024 2:45 PM
By Ching Shi Jie

Several residents in Yio Chu Kang are crying fowl over the authorities removing wild chickens in their neighborhood.

Others, who are annoyed by the birds crowing at ungodly hours, are happy to see them go.

A Facebook video on the Singapore Wildlife Sightings group showed contractors from the National Parks Board (NParks) setting traps at a park along Cactus Road.

Kan Shik Kiong, who posted the clip on Thursday (Oct 9), said that the authorities were acting on residents' complaints.

The video has since garnered over 300 comments and 37,000 views.

Following that, a Shin Min Daily News reporter saw three chickens roaming around the park; however, there were no traps.

Several residents living in the vicinity told the Chinese evening daily that the birds are harmless.

Tang, 72, the vice-chairman of a neighbourhood committee, said: "These chickens come out at around 7am every day, and fly up to the trees to roost at night.

"They are not like monkeys that will enter residential areas, so we don't think it's right to catch them."

Another resident, 35-year-old Shi, said that he often brings his daughter to see and feed the chickens.

"We don't think they're noisy, and it's a good opportunity for children to get to know nature," he added.

However, 60-year-old Liao said that the chickens would crow at around 7am every day and are a nuisance.

He agrees that the authorities should catch the chickens, but hopes that some of them will remain there.

In response to queries, NParks group director for wildlife management How Choon Beng said that the board adopts a science-based and community-based management approach for wild animals, including free-roaming chickens.

He added that NParks also works with grassroots organisations to come up with the best practices to manage the chicken population, such as advising residents against feeding them, and sharing information to reduce roosting sites.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
However, 60-year-old Liao said that the chickens would crow at around 7am every day and are a nuisance.

They are nature's alarm clock. If Sinkieland were in the northern hemisphere with forests and mountains, at around 7pm you might hear the wolves howl. That's the signal that it's dinnertime.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Catch the roosters lor then no crowing
No roosters in time the chicken population also will dwindle
As someone who used to keep chickens in my backyard, I can promise you that hens will crow when the rooster is removed.

And it is a myth that chickens only crow at sunrise. They crow throughout the day.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
As someone who used to keep chickens in my backyard, I can promise you that hens will crow when the rooster is removed.

And it is a myth that chickens only crow at sunrise. They crow throughout the day.
You hainanese dog son of prostitute harassing me as chicken non stop think you can disguise your evil intentions upping this chicken thread around me? Pui!