• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie Doctors Need to Buck Up!

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to see a doctor this morning as I was a little unwell. I told him that I have been feeling tired constantly but couldn't sleep well at night. I told him that for about 2 years now that I have had burning pain near my right shoulder blade, extending up to the top of my shoulder and into the side of my neck. Initially, it was only painful when I was typing or writing for a long time, but as time progresses it became worst, and more frequently. At this point I am having pain all the time. I asked him what are my options for a cure.

After telling him my problem, which I think should be quite common, I was amazed when the doctor took up a book and see what could my symptoms mean. In the end, he say need more tests and refer me to the hospital after issuing painkillers to me.

Is that what our sinkie doctors are good at? Reading books? No wonder FTs are taking over.:mad:

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least he didn't give u panadol and ask u to f off. That's what most docs do these days. :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The body of knowledge for medicine has grown exponentially over the last few decades. Its humanly impossible to have everything in the memory bank. If you visit a doctor in the USA, UK etc for something that is not a common affliction, chances are that he will refer to a dedicated program on his PC to isolate the problem.

You should be glad that he does that. Gone are the days when its trial and error and after a few visits before action is taken.

I was amazed when the doctor took up a book and see what could my symptoms mean. In the end, he say need more tests and refer me to the hospital after issuing painkillers to me.

Is that what our sinkie doctors are good at? Reading books? No wonder FTs are taking over.:mad:

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to see a doctor this morning as I was a little unwell. I told him that I have been feeling tired constantly but couldn't sleep well at night. I told him that for about 2 years now that I have had burning pain near my right shoulder blade, extending up to the top of my shoulder and into the side of my neck. Initially, it was only painful when I was typing or writing for a long time, but as time progresses it became worst, and more frequently. At this point I am having pain all the time. I asked him what are my options for a cure.

After telling him my problem, which I think should be quite common, I was amazed when the doctor took up a book and see what could my symptoms mean. In the end, he say need more tests and refer me to the hospital after issuing painkillers to me.

Your symptoms are nothing serious.
All in the mind.

Get an MRI for complete check and reassurance

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
refer to hospital is correct la,,,, can be a series of illness, also can be occupational hazard,,,,

let the hospital run the tests and be re-asuured no other serioous sickness,,,,

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Engineers have to refer to manuals and handbooks from time to time; lawyers have to refer to Case Laws and MLR journals. Why find fault with a poor GP? The medical undergrad study is already the most demanding and challenging in terms of memory retention and recall of basic facts. We shld be lucky that doctors are more circumspective and practising care and caution before prescription.

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
yah lor.....nowadays why go Dr...just google and then go tell dr wat med you want...and to write prescription...

i have not consulted Dr for last 5 yrs now

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I heard this from a close friend.

His mother had been complaining of stomach pain for months and they decided to bring her to a hospital near Novena for check-up. However, after several tests, they are unable to determine what was wrong. The doctor then advised my friend to allow his mother to go for operation so that they could determine what was wrong. The purpose was to cut open and see if there are any abnormality within and operate there and then if there is anything wrong. However, a day just before the operation, the mother was referred to SGH for the surgery as the earlier hospital realised that they do not have one of the machine. Imagine if they had proceeded with the surgery and later realised that they cannot complete it. Then how arh?

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
TTS is a fucked-up place unless you belong to elite class,,,

for better and more rounded services, and hopefully non-immmediate-life threatening cases, go SGH better. Even NUH is not as good as SGH, so i heard.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
google....then go to pharmacy to get the medicine or see a pharmacist....see a doctor if u require a prescription

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Your symptoms may be common but there can be a whole host of causes for what you are describing.

Constant fatigue could be caused by stress, poor quality sleep (causes of which can fill many pages), the Epstein Barr virus, AIDS, a malignant tumour and so on. Only a battery of tests can pinpoint the exact cause. This is how the Mayo clinic introduces the subject of chronic fatigue...

Definition

By Mayo Clinic staff Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a complicated disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that may worsen with physical or mental activity, but doesn't improve with rest. Although there are many theories about what causes this condition — ranging from viral infections to psychological stress — in most cases the cause is still unknown.
Because its symptoms are difficult to measure, CFS wasn't widely accepted as a real medical condition for several years. Today, however, doctors and researchers agree that this chronic condition should be taken seriously.
If doctors in the foremost medical facility in the world can't give a definitive straightforward list of causes, there is no way a GP is going to nail the cause with a single visit by a patient.

The pain in your shoulder could be all sorts of things too. A quick trip to google brought up this info...

Shoulder and Neck Pain Causes

• The most common cause of shoulder pain and neck pain is injury to the soft tissues including the muscles, tendons, and ligaments within these structures. This can occur from whiplash or other injury to these areas. Degenerative arthritis of the spine in the neck (cervical spine) can pinch nerves that can cause both neck pain and shoulder pain. Degenerative disc disease in the neck (cervical spondylosis) can cause local neck pain. Abnormal conditions involving the spinal cord, heart, lungs, and some abdominal organs also can cause neck and shoulder pain. Here are some examples:
  • Broken collarbone: Falling on your outstretched arm can cause your collarbone to break.
  • Bursitis: A bursa is a sac over the joints to provide a cushion to the joints and muscles. These bursae can become swollen and painful after injuries.
  • Heart attacks: Although the problem is the heart, heart attacks can cause shoulder or neck pain, known as "referred" pain.
  • Broken shoulder blade: An injury to the shoulder blade usually is associated with relatively forceful trauma.
  • Rotator cuff injuries: The rotator cuff is a group of tendons that support the shoulder. These tendons can be injured during lifting, when playing sports with a lot of throwing, or after repetitive use over a long time.
  • Shoulder or A-C separation: The collarbone (clavicle) and shoulder blade (scapula) are connected by ligaments. With trauma to the shoulder, these ligaments can be stretched or torn.
  • Whiplash injury: Injury to the ligamentous and muscular structures of the neck and shoulder can be caused by sudden acceleration or deceleration, as in a car accident.
  • Tendonitis: The tendons connect the muscles to the bones. With strain, the tendons can become swollen and cause pain. This is also referred to as tendinitis.
  • Gallbladder disease: This can cause a pain referred to the right shoulder.
  • Inflammation under the diaphragm can also cause referred pain in the shoulder.
No doctor can pinpoint the exact cause of a symptom as vague as "shoulder pain" without doing more tests.

In the good old days when diagnostic tools were not available and treatment options were limited and nobody else other than the doctors knew much about medicine, most doctors made an educated guess and prescribed accordingly. If it didn't work, he'd try something else till something worked or the cause resolved on its own or the patient kicked the bucket.

No medical professional does that anymore. The safest route for any GP to take is to send the patient for tests to be on the safe side.

Despite the fact that we're 10 years into the 21st century, medicine still remains an inexact science and medical researchers still have much to learn regarding how the human body functions.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
your problem is unlikely to be fatal

but better to get a proper check to rule out causes

also many conditions cannot be diagnosed until after repeated visits and tests

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
I went to see a doctor this morning
After telling him my problem the doctor took up a book and see what could my symptoms mean
_our sinkie doctors are good at Reading books? No wonder FTs are taking over.:mad:

Are you sure this doctor of yours is not an FT ?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That was basically what he did.

I would prescribe you a couple of Baserol ( this is discontinued) or Norlgesic now...if I could write a RX...

I do not have to read the book...just Dimms will do...

Are you sure, the doctor, did not get the degree from University of Alice Springs, like that Ah Neh SINKingporean talent in Australia?:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal

Nothing wrong to refer to a book in my opinion. You can't expect the doctors to know everything in their head.
The problem I have with some doctors is that they can getting more and more greedy. They have forgotten that their mission is to save lives and reduce suffering, not line their pockets and bank accounts.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing wrong to refer to a book in my opinion. You can't expect the doctors to know everything in their head.
The problem I have with some doctors is that they can getting more and more greedy. They have forgotten that their mission is to save lives and reduce suffering, not line their pockets and bank accounts.

They learn from the best of the land...what do you expect...the days of old, where the passion is to saves lives & making money is secondary. It nowm saving their own lives, and making lots of money from you.

They will prescribe generic drugs, at a strength that won't kill you or heal you, so that, you will make one more repeated visit, in order to earn extra doctors & medicine fees.

That is why the SMC is dragging their feet on changing the system where the doc, don't dispense medicine, but give you a RX to buy your medicine from the pharmacy & certain patented drugs can be bought over the counter.

The patients ( consumers) are made to pay for their sickness...:p