• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Cricket Club - Culture, Race and Group Dynamics

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
After the Aussie Pete episode 2 days ago, I thought I will share some observation on a similar vein arising from an interesting chat over a meal at the Singapore Cricket Club couple of days ago.

While having the meal at the verandah, couple of Indian FT kids were running around and creating a din which was bothering other diners. You could tell that the kids were schooling at an International School and the parents were well heeled lot with semi western accents working for MNCs.

My friend Cyril (not his real name - following fucking New Paper Style) told me that it has been a dilemma for members, staff, committee members and Mgmt on how to handle this. How does one point to one particular racial group without offending that community. Apparently its the local Indian members that were particularly upset about these chaps as they felt pressured due to same ethnicity. And this has been been going on for some years now.

Then comes a second dilemma that has been going on for a very long time. The Ang Mohs who are more sporty have been turning out in numbers for most sports events. Being away from home, the club has been a second home of sorts. Purely on sport merit, they deserve a place in the 1st, 2nd and...... teams. The locals can't make it. Apparently our local men and ladies who can command their place where queens english is concerned can't hold a bat or kick a ball and those that can, can't qualify for the club.

This has now impacted National Sports. The Singapore Hockey Federation realising the number of FTs playing at the highest league has deprived our best locals. To develop a pool of locals of sufficient standards requires playtime at the highest league and so imposes a quota limit on foreigners in each team at the highest league.

SCC ladies team decides that it will now put its best team in a lower league to avoid the quota and brings along all its national players (locals) into the lower league. So now the National team players in SCC no longer play at the highest league. SCC with history of great hockey now no longer has ladies in top league, Singapore Hockey sees some of its best players play at lower grades.

Just 2 of the issues arising from the brewing melting pot and maybe reflective of Singapore struggling to keep everyone on an even keel.

Cyril then goes on to the 3rd issue. I feel a headache coming on, the kids are still running around, see the Ang Mohs returning from their rugby practice with a token asian tagging along, I tell him that I need to go.

Cyril tells me that we need to have another meal to discuss about the $70million renovation that was completed recently. I ask what renovation and what $70million and starting making tracks to the front.

ronaldinho

Alfrescian
Loyal
why you apologist for foreigner who come and take our job

sad that singaporean never help each other, like to quarrel, no kampung spirit

some even help the foreigner

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
why you apologist for foreigner who come and take our job

sad that singaporean never help each other, like to quarrel, no kampung spirit

some even help the foreigner

I got no problems with foreigners who conduct themselves properly, respect the law and custom of the country.

I hate the FT policy and ministers (together with the media) who loves performing BJs on FTs.

jw5

Loyal
scoobal
1. Tell the kids as loudly as you can that it's ok if their parents didn't teach them, but it's rude to run about and make loud noises. Make sure the parents and all the club members hear, but don't tell the parents directly.
2. The ang mohs are better than asians in a lot of sports, let it be.
3. You should have called your friend Cyrano.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
scoobal
1. Tell the kids as loudly as you can that it's ok if their parents didn't teach them, but it's rude to run about and make loud noises. Make sure the parents and all the club members hear, but don't tell the parents directly.
2. The ang mohs are better than asians in a lot of sports, let it be.
3. You should have called your friend Cyrano.

Good one bro.

As to the local national players playing in the lower league, I wonder what their thoughts are?

shockshiok

Alfrescian
Loyal
After the Aussie Pete episode 2 days ago, I thought I will share some observation on a similar vein arising from an interesting chat over a meal at the Singapore Cricket Club couple of days ago.

While having the meal at the verandah, couple of Indian FT kids were running around and creating a din which was bothering other diners. You could tell that the kids were schooling at an International School and the parents were well heeled lot with semi western accents working for MNCs.

My friend Cyril (not his real name - following fucking New Paper Style) told me that it has been a dilemma for members, staff, committee members and Mgmt on how to handle this. How does one point to one particular racial group without offending that community. Apparently its the local Indian members that were particularly upset about these chaps as they felt pressured due to same ethnicity. And this has been been going on for some years now.

Then comes a second dilemma that has been going on for a very long time. The Ang Mohs who are more sporty have been turning out in numbers for most sports events. Being away from home, the club has been a second home of sorts. Purely on sport merit, they deserve a place in the 1st, 2nd and...... teams. The locals can't make it. Apparently our local men and ladies who can command their place where queens english is concerned can't hold a bat or kick a ball and those that can, can't qualify for the club.

This has now impacted National Sports. The Singapore Hockey Federation realising the number of FTs playing at the highest league has deprived our best locals. To develop a pool of locals of sufficient standards requires playtime at the highest league and so imposes a quota limit on foreigners in each team at the highest league.

SCC ladies team decides that it will now put its best team in a lower league to avoid the quota and brings along all its national players (locals) into the lower league. So now the National team players in SCC no longer play at the highest league. SCC with history of great hockey now no longer has ladies in top league, Singapore Hockey sees some of its best players play at lower grades.

Just 2 of the issues arising from the brewing melting pot and maybe reflective of Singapore struggling to keep everyone on an even keel.

Cyril then goes on to the 3rd issue. I feel a headache coming on, the kids are still running around, see the Ang Mohs returning from their rugby practice with a token asian tagging along, I tell him that I need to go.

Cyril tells me that we need to have another meal to discuss about the $70million renovation that was completed recently. I ask what renovation and what $70million and starting making tracks to the front.

Just go ask my good friend Anwar Haque to fix the situation. Also ask him where the $70 Million Went to. I am still wandering myself. Oh well, as long as the whisky sodas remain $4 i am not complaining too much.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just go ask my good friend Anwar Haque to fix the situation. Also ask him where the $70 Million Went to. I am still wandering myself. Oh well, as long as the whisky sodas remain $4 i am not complaining too much.

Anwarul no more. New team.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where got $70m? I thot they spent $30m nia nia.

You might want to check what the "total cost" of "all projects" for the renovation.

Reminds of Tharman quoting 4 Stat boards/govt bodies and then adding one more when CDO and CDS was specifically raised by an NMP.

wallace

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just tell the parents to discipline the children. Don't need to bring race factor in, unless that is the intention :biggrin:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sun finally sets on British Empire... at Tanglin Club

WHEN the�British Empire�was at its height in the early 1900s, it included over 20 per cent of the world's land area and more than 400 million people - the single largest empire in the history of the world since time began.
This remarkable achievement, by a country half the size of�France, was a tribute to the superb organisational skills of the empire builders of that nation. The saying that 'the sun never set on the British Empire' was very close to the truth: Because of its geographic spread, some territory, somewhere, was always in daylight hours.

This astonishing empire was never undone in the way the�Roman Empire was: Instead, it dissolved peacefully, by mutual consent, and the British, apart from creating the world's largest empire, also had the privilege of being the only empire builders not to be destroyed in their far-flung empire itself.

During the years of decline, it has always been hoped there would be understanding and appreciation of the perspectives of the hardships British immigrants must face.

For many, this could be perceived as permanent exile, and for those who do survive the initial journey, additional dangers, prejudice�and isolation face them in their new homeland, countries may be fearful of the changing faces of their population. Indeed, it is a testimony to British citizens that they have integrated so successfully, similar to the many varied previous generations and faiths.

Amid all the hype and hysteria, it must be remembered that immigrants are a part of daily and national life, and immigration is nothing new and will always exist. The British have always been considered adaptable, hardy travellers willing to integrate and contribute to their new environments. Indeed, many of this generation are not even�aware of, or can be associated with, the empire�or its sociological legacies.�

But it now appears the last bastion of colonial privilege is finally closing. The Tanglin Club is to vote on Dec 1 to limit its membership quota to no more than 15 per cent United Kingdom passport holders. How cruel that this 'cushion' of integration is to be finally withdrawn, now colonialisation�has indeed expired its mortal coil.

My son, integrated into our local schools, succinctly summarised the empire's demise: 'The sun never set on the British Empire because the�British Empire�is in the east and the sun sets in the west. Queen�Victoria�was the 'longest' queen. She sat on a 'thorn' for 63 years. Her 'reclining' years and finally the end of her life were 'exemplary' of a great empire; her death was the final event which ended her reign.'

But to me, the final event and realisation it was indeed 'all over', was�their reclassification to the minorities.

Philip Williams

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just tell the parents to discipline the children. Don't need to bring race factor in, unless that is the intention :biggrin:

This has been going on every other week. Parents have lodged complaint to commitee about staff rudeness etc.

Many years ago, there were issues with FT workers holding hands in public. Finally MOM stepped in and worked with the employment agencies. You don't see it often. I think they are looking for similar situation.

I guess the bigger picture is how as a society do with deal with influx of cultures in such a rapid manner. Do we assert ourselves, do we tell the asians off and meekly given to others etc.

The children running around is actually a very minor issue. Most people would avoid the club or have the meals elsewhere and have a quiet chat at Stumps. There is more to life tan dealing with inconsiderate parents and badly brought up kids.

Its things like our National Players playing at lower league that will start the rot.

jw5

Loyal
This has been going on every other week. Parents have lodged complaint to commitee about staff rudeness etc.

Many years ago, there were issues with FT workers holding hands in public. Finally MOM stepped in and worked with the employment agencies. You don't see it often. I think they are looking for similar situation.

I guess the bigger picture is how as a society do with deal with influx of cultures in such a rapid manner. Do we assert ourselves, do we tell the asians off and meekly given to others etc.

The children running around is actually a very minor issue. Most people would avoid the club or have the meals elsewhere and have a quiet chat at Stumps. There is more to life tan dealing with inconsiderate parents and badly brought up kids.

Its things like our National Players playing at lower league that will start the rot.
scroobal
I don't see the problem with the national players playing at lower league.
It is actually a test of both their skills and character.
If they are really good and work at their game, they will get to play in the higher leagues.
If they really want to make it in the sport, they will go all out to be better.
If they don't, then stay in the lower league.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
scroobal
I don't see the problem with the national players playing at lower league.
It is actually a test of both their skills and character.
If they are really good and work at their game, they will get to play in the higher leagues.
If they really want to make it in the sport, they will go all out to be better.
If they don't, then stay in the lower league.

Actually they were playing at the highest league for a number of years until this year. They are now playing under-strength teams and winning games by large margins. They will start to lose their edge and the tempering would stop.