• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

She's her family's sole breadwinner

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>11206.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Just 23, she's her family's sole breadwinner
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Author --></TD></TR><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Kor Kian Beng
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->HEAVY is the burden resting on the shoulders of Miss Jasila Badardin.
But she chooses to view things in a light-hearted way. She downplays her problems and responds to the challenges with smiles, shrugs and girlish chuckles.
But there is no denying the pressure and financial load that Miss Jasila - who turns 23 this year - has to handle compared to many of her peers.
Her parents depend on her. She is an only child and the family's sole breadwinner.
She often accompanies her parents for their medical check-ups. Her father, Mr Badardin Abdul Rahim, 48, is a diabetic. Her mother, Madam Mathin Mirah Abdul Kadir, 47, suffers from epilepsy.
The economic downturn has not helped.
Miss Jasila was jobless for two months until October last year, when she found her current job as a pharmacy assistant with Guardian Pharmacy.
She draws a salary of just over $900 a month. With almost 80 per cent of that going to her parents to cover household and medical expenses, there is little left for her to spend on herself.
Does she ever feel that life is unfair to her, when many other girls her age carry a lesser burden than hers?
'Life is always full of problems. You just have to face it, good or bad,' says Miss Jasila.
'I believe in having confidence, and a positive attitude in facing any problems.'
But there were moments during the hour-long interview at her family's sparsely furnished four-room HDB flat in Bukit Panjang when her bold front cracked.
Twice, Miss Jasila fought back tears as she recalled having to discontinue her studies at an early age and start working to support the family.
She left New Town Secondary School in 2003 after completing her N Levels and spent the next year working part-time in fast-food restaurants to save up for her studies at the Institute of Technical Education.
She was to begin a course there in digital media in August 2005.
But she had to forgo her place when her father quit his job in May that year after his diabetic condition worsened drastically.
Mr Badardin was, at the time, a hotel security supervisor earning a monthly income of about $1,800.
At first, Ms Jasila played down the decision to quit her studies: 'It wasn't tough for me. I knew that I could still study at any age. But if I had continued my studies, there would be no one available to support my parents.
'I'm their only child. If I don't do it, who else will support them?'
Later, as tears rolled down her cheeks, she confessed that there were times when she hid and cried bitterly in her bedroom.
'I didn't want my parents to know that I was crying because I knew they would be hurt,' she says.
Her mother, visibly touched, hugged her and tells The Straits Times that she and her husband are proud to have such a daughter.
'We feel bad that she couldn't study any more. As parents, we wanted her to continue but, unfortunately, both of us couldn't work,' she says.
Since 2005, Miss Jasila has held a string of jobs, including being a waitress, retail assistant and administrative assistant. But these were mostly short stints as her bosses did not confirm her as a full-time employee.
In August last year, she quit her job as an administrative assistant because of her unhappiness over delays in the payment of Central Provident Fund contributions by her employer.
For two months, she struggled to find a job.
She then sought help from the North West Community Development Council, which had been helping the family with cash, food rations, utility bills and supermarket vouchers since November 2005.
Miss Jasila was referred in November last year to Guardian Pharmacy, which hired her as a a pharmacy assistant at the store in the Greenridge Shopping Centre - just a five-minute walk from where she lived.
Two weeks ago, she was informed that the company was confirming her as a full-time employee. She had undergone a two-week, in-house training course for new staff.
Ms Iming Bahari, Guardian Pharmacy's assistant human resources manager, said Miss Jasila has a good working attitude and will do well in the company.
'She is hardworking, eager to learn and possesses good service skills. She also never fails to greet the customers, listen to their queries and recommend them the appropriate products.'
Though Miss Jasila does not say it, the fear of losing her job amid the economic downturn weighs heavily on her mind.
Which is why she surfs the Internet regularly for opportunities to upgrade herself through courses, like those offered by the Workforce Development Agency.
Her desire to succeed is so strong that she does not want to have a boyfriend for the time being. She says: 'I want to do well at my work and learn new things. Every day is a new day for me.'

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>>>>She left New Town Secondary School in 2003 after completing her N Levels and spent the next year working part-time in fast-food restaurants to save up for her studies at the Institute of Technical Education. <<<
While free scholarships are given to FTrash to play computer games and then jump flat?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore's World Records
On this small island lives the 30 best-paid politicians in the world, comments a blogger. MySingaporeNews.
Apr 3, 2009
As the economic crisis worsens and thousands are being retrenched, the huge salaries of Singapore's political leaders have come under the spotlight not only here - but overseas.
With G20 leaders gathering in London to work out solutions to the global crisis, the Times compiled a list of "the 10 best-paid politicians in the world" - naturally with Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong taking the top spot.
The story was picked up by The Australia, which also works out their salaries when ranked against population.
Mr Lee earns S$3.76 million (US$2.47 million) a year, excluding bonuses, allowances, pensions, etc which add on a significant bit.
This is about 54 cents per head of population. In second position was his counterpart from New Zealand at 9 cents. The rest of the world are all down there, below even the lowest-ranking minister in Singapore.
But Singaporean blogger redbean's "My Singapore News" carries a calculation from its reader, Green Peas, expanding on the UK and Australian reports.
It pointed out that the world's 30 best-paid politicians (a definition that will include ministers, elected president, etc) are all from Singapore.
Here's what the blogger says:
The TOP 30 highest paid politicians in the world are all from Singapore:
1. Elected President SR Nathan - S$3.9 million.
2. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong - S$3.8 million.
3. Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew - S$3.5 million.
4. Senior Minister Goh Chok Thong - S$3.5 million.
5. Senior Minister Prof Jayakumar - S$3.2 million.
6. DPM & Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng - S$2.9 million.
7. DPM & Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean - $2.9 million
8. Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo - S$2.8 million.
9. National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan - S$2.7 million.
10. PMO Miniser Lim Boon Heng - S$2.7 million.
11. Trade and Industry Minister Lim Hng Kiang - S$2.7 million.
12. PMO Minister Lim Swee Say - S$2.6 million.
13. Environment Minister & Muslim Affairs Minister Dr Yaccob Ibrahim - S$2.6 million.
14. Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan - S$2.6 million.

15. Finance Minister S Tharman - S$2.6 million.
16. Education Minister & 2nd Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen - S$2.6 million.
17. Community Development Youth and Sports Minister - Dr Vivian Balakrishnan - S$2.5 million.
18. Transport Minister & 2nd Minister for Foreign Affairs Raymond Lim Siang Kiat - S$2.5 million.
19. Law Minister & 2nd Minister for Home Affairs K Shanmugam - S$2.4 million.
20. Manpower Minister Gan Kim Yong - S$2.2 million.
21. PMO Minister Lim Hwee Hwa - S$2.2 million.
22. Acting ICA Minister - Lui Tuck Yew - S$2.0 million.
23 to 30 = Senior Ministers of State and Ministers of State - each getting between S$1.8 million to S$1.5 million.
Note: 1. The above pay does not include MP allowances, pensions and other sources of income such as Directorship, Chairmnship, Advisory, Consultancy, etc to Gov-linked and gov-related organisations or foreign MNCs such as Citigroup, etc.
2. Though it is based on an estimate, the data cannot be far off the official salary scales.
The above was posted in redbeanforum by Green Peas.
(London Times report: http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/mon...the-world.html)