• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shd there be a cap that Charity/Religious Org Leaders get?

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe Charity/Religious Organisation is becoming more like our government, make sure they are highly paid before they jumped ship.

Maybe I am just old fashioned, believing that those in charity/religious/political organisations must have a passion and heart in working there except those treat it just another profession.

Looking at St Andrew Mission Hospital, 6 staff gets more than $150,000 meaning about $1,000,000 out of income of $14,000,0000.... 7% of annual income goes to 6 staff,,,, probably these staff are professionally medically trained personnel,,,,,

Sometimes wonder how much is enough for these high ranking staff in these organistaion? Perecntage of income? Private business entity rate?

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
ministermentor.jpg

We need top dollars to attract top talents. Otherwise they will leave to join the bigger churches like Lehman Bros, Morgan Stanley etc. ..
and of cos, top dollars prevent corruption :wink::wink:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe Charity/Religious Organisation is becoming more like our government, make sure they are highly paid before they jumped ship.

Maybe I am just old fashioned, believing that those in charity/religious/political organisations must have a passion and heart in working there except those treat it just another profession.

Looking at St Andrew Mission Hospital, 6 staff gets more than $150,000 meaning about $1,000,000 out of income of $14,000,0000.... 7% of annual income goes to 6 staff,,,, probably these staff are professionally medically trained personnel,,,,,

Sometimes wonder how much is enough for these high ranking staff in these organistaion? Perecntage of income? Private business entity rate?

The solution is rather simple. All organisations that collect donations for charity, religious work, environment etc must publish a set of accounts that are transparent and available to anyone. In 2006, one young chap received donations of over $200K and he did not have a charity in mind. Thats how gullible people are. The Ministry finally seized the money.

If people continue to give, thats up to them. You cannot babysit idiots all their life.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course their pay have to be limited. Otherwise, PAP will start pegging their pay to the pastors.

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UH58pgiWPsw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UH58pgiWPsw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
The solution is rather simple. All organisations that collect donations for charity, religious work, environment etc must publish a set of accounts that are transparent and available to anyone. In 2006, one young chap received donations of over $200K and he did not have a charity in mind. Thats how gullible people are. The Ministry finally seized the money.

If people continue to give, thats up to them. You cannot babysit idiots all their life.

We need to protect our children. These cult orgs hypnotise them into thinking if i dont do this i go to hell, if i dont empty out my pocket money pastor dont love me. Pui!

So transparency is useless. That just makes it LEEgal. Our PAP ministers pay all transparent but that does not make it right.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
there should be a cap on the stupidity level of these mega church goers:biggrin:

sometimes it is just way too easy to use religion to con them:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal

For charities yes.
Because the ordinary donors donate on the basis that most of the funds will be used for the said charitable purpose. The donor does not have any contact with the organization's management or any of its staff.
But for religious organizations no.
The people who join the organization do so willingly and with their eyes open. Some of them are even on friendly terms with the management and the organization and have contact with them all the time. If they think that the donation is part of proclaiming their faith, who's to stop them?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal

But for religious organizations no.

The people who join the organization do so willingly and with their eyes open. Some of them are even on friendly terms with the management and the organization and have contact with them all the time. If they think that the donation is part of proclaiming their faith, who's to stop them?

I can't speak for other religions.

For established churches with strong governance, there is a salary range. Also some even segregate the pastoral work from the finance side. Pastors concentrate on doing what they are called to do - to shepherd the flock and they leave the finance matters to the experts. The experts are the deacons and the criteria for their selection are that they must be sober and not lovers of money.

For independent churches where a one-party system is in place, they can reward themselves whatever commensurates with their talents and the congregation will not be any wiser. Thus for them, it is good if the total benefits (which includes indirect revenue they earned from a captive flock by selling in church and to church, their dvds, their wife's dvds, requiring members to buy their books as guides for cell groups, etc) be published as part of their annual report.

In this case, the collective wisdom of the congregation will be their governance.

(There had been at least one call to sue the pastor for return of their tithes; there had been breakaways to form a purer church. And there had been others who are indifferent, believing it is their duty to tithe and the pastor's to decide. Yet others who are supportive. The whole range is there. Whatever they want to believe in, information on total benefits will be useful for their decision-making.)

poore

Alfrescian
Loyal
of cos shd be a peg!

if not some may think they are god themselves and pay themselves 500k or more!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
We need to protect our children. These cult orgs hypnotise them into thinking if i dont do this i go to hell, if i dont empty out my pocket money pastor dont love me. Pui!

So transparency is useless. That just makes it LEEgal. Our PAP ministers pay all transparent but that does not make it right.

Thats is why its so important to impart values to your kids early.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
We need to protect our children. These cult orgs hypnotise them into thinking if i dont do this i go to hell, if i dont empty out my pocket money pastor dont love me...

You have a point.

But nowadays it is not so unsophisticated as that.

There are management consultants in USA who specialize in tithes collections - to maximise the return of each church service, to ensure tithes targets are reached.

People don't give out of fear of punishment. They give out of greed for more money (if i give $3000, i can demand from God $90,000) or fear of losing out (if i do not give, then i will not receive). And the whole climate is focus on the person's desires for more (i want this armani but i only earn so much, so i tithe knowing that God will give it to me). Tithing becomes a prerequisite for success and future prosperity. The more you give, the more you receive; and what you give must come into the church.

There are side-effects. How prevalent I do not know. But these came to my attention:

(1) a girl was asked to tithe by her cell group. She could not meet her tithe requirements. That church sent her a formal letter of demand saying she did not fulfill her promise. She left the church.

(2) another girl sold off her chinese orchestra instrument and give the proceeds to her church's building fund. Her mother, who was poor and saved to buy her this instrument, was very unhappy. She left the church.

(3) a boy, slightly autistic, felt pressured by his cell group to tithe. He took on two jobs in order to tithe and thus look good in the eyes of his peers. Later on, he could not cope and suffered a mental breakdown - reason unknown. He left the church.

It is very sad that these sort of things happen. That is why a few churches need to understand their social responsibilities and use money for people, not use people to make money.

Because of the social impact, the Commissioner of Charities need to move beyond a toothless health-check and recommendations on guidelines into one with more power to enforce a transparent system for the religious organizations under their direct purview. The MOH which oversees Ren Ci, had done a better job.

Last edited:

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Peasants should adopt their leaders logic of paying top religious leaders according to market rates.

If national leaders need market rate pay, why not religious leaders?

gtang

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why "cap"..u happy i happy...case close!

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It is an old habit with theologians to beat the living with the bones of the dead , and where knowledge ends, religion begins .... now start thinking .....