• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - Taking MRT & Bus with a "May I have a seat please?" lanyard only gets stares, no offers for a seat

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ake8n9g1yena1.jpg

All stares and no offers to sit: Travelling on public transport with a 'May I have a seat please?' lanyard​

Seen people with a “May I have a seat please?” sticker or lanyard on buses and MRT trains - or used it yourself? CNA’s Grace Yeoh puts one on to see how receptive other commuters are to "invisible" conditions or disabilities.

may_i_have_a_seat_pls_4.jpg

SINGAPORE: I needed a seat on the MRT – at least according to the lanyard around my neck.

But all I received were furtive glances from commuters who spotted the bright yellow “May I have a seat please?” card attached, only to quickly look down at their phones.

Some continued to stare at me suspiciously throughout my train ride, perhaps wondering why someone who appeared fit and young would need a seat.

To make my need for a seat obvious, I wore dark colours on that day in February so the lanyard would stand out against my attire, and ensured the card always faced outwards. I even stood in the middle of the carriage.

But short of asking commuters to give up their seats, my best efforts were unsuccessful.

After spending the day boarding several relatively packed trains, no one had offered me a seat. When I did get to sit, it was solely because someone alighted and no one claimed their seat.

Launched by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) in 2019, the “May I have a seat please?” initiative aims to help commuters with less visible health conditions or disabilities alert others that they would appreciate a seat on public transport.

While the initiative started out with stickers issued to commuters in need, reusable lanyards were rolled out in 2021. Commuters who need a sticker or lanyard can collect them from passenger service centres at MRT stations, bus interchanges or TransitLink ticket offices.

As of end-2022, about 8,500 stickers and 5,500 lanyards had been distributed, LTA told CNA.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sin...may-i-have-seat-lanyard-bus-mrt-seats-3283311

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

GETTING A LANYARD​

In line with a national push for greater inclusivity in public transport - as well as better accessibility for people with disabilities, as set out in the Enabling Masterplan 2030 – the "May I have a seat please?" initiative seemed straightforward enough: Get a sticker or lanyard, and get a seat.
The initiative acts as an “identifier” of commuters in need, Transport Minister S Iswaran said on Feb 6 in response to a parliamentary question about the training that public transport operators receive to accommodate commuters with various disabilities.
“All public transport operators have training programmes, developed in consultation with various social service agencies, to equip their staff with the skills to look out for and assist commuters with disabilities, including those with invisible conditions,” said the minister.
These range from dementia and autism to heart and limb conditions.
Commuters are encouraged to exercise graciousness and give up "not just priority seats" to fellow commuters who need them more, added Senior Parliamentary Secretary Baey Yam Keng on Mar 3 about the initiative.
He noted that posters will be put up at "prominent locations" as visual reminders.
More messages will be progressively rolled out under the "Helping Hand" scheme from April, starting with the bus network, to assist the special needs of other commuters, he said.
In the meantime, I wanted to experience firsthand whether the initiative was truly as effective as intended.
Before I approached the passenger service centre at Tiong Bahru MRT, I had been trying to cook up a story about why I needed the “May I have a seat please?” lanyard.
Would I have to prove my “invisible” condition or disability? Would I need to explain why the condition or disability required me to sit? What if they called my bluff?
But the customer service officer didn’t bat an eyelid when I asked if I could have the lanyard. She handed it to me, no questions asked. No doctor's letter or medical certificate was needed.
This fuss-free process significantly reduces the first hurdle that I imagine many with genuine invisible conditions or disabilities might face: Self-consciousness.

may_i_have_a_seat_pls_3.jpg

A notice informing commuters about the "May I have a seat please?" initiative at Tiong Bahru MRT station. (Photo: CNA/Grace Yeoh)

I was personally relieved by the lack of questions as it meant I could be discreet about my “condition”.
Still, staff of public transport operators are trained to look out for and assist commuters with the “May I have a seat please?” sticker or lanyard, should they need more help.
At Tower Transit Singapore, seven out of nine cards issued in 2022 were to participants of a Public Bus Confidence Course that the bus operator runs for people with disabilities.
“We continue to raise awareness of the card and what it does, amongst our staff through our staff app. We’ve also provided them with guidelines on assisting card holders. This includes openly asking if any passenger would like to give up their seat for the card holder,” a spokesperson told CNA.
“As invisible conditions and/or disabilities can be quite varied, our staff are advised to always ask if and how they can be of assistance.”
No doctor’s letter is required to obtain the card, Tower Transit confirmed.
SMRT’s group chief communications officer, Ms Margaret Teo, said train station staff and bus captains are taught to spot commuters wearing the lanyard and “assist them to a convenient seat”.
“If necessary, our staff will seek the understanding of other commuters to give up their seats for the lanyard holders,” she added.
“We engage community groups about the many different service initiatives that are available for commuters with special needs.”
Having attended Tower Transit's Public Bus Confidence Course and SMRT’s inclusivity training, as well as observed many instances where MRT station staff and bus captains helped the visually impaired, I had no doubt that public transport personnel were well-trained to help commuters who need more assistance on their journeys.
But as someone with a supposed invisible condition that day, I felt more excluded than ever throughout mine.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sin...may-i-have-seat-lanyard-bus-mrt-seats-3283311

Doctor's letter not required for 'May I have a seat please?' sticker or lanyard, say public transport operators​

Commuters are also not required to show "proof" of their condition or disability.

may_i_have_a_seat_pls_3.jpg

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sin...r-lanyard-doctors-letter-not-required-3336456