• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SG parent: My kid can't study in SG

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - SG parent: My kid can't study in SG</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>May-25 1:59 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 12) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>13947.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Warm welcome for returning talent? Schools haven't got the message
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->
WE RECENTLY returned to Singapore after living abroad for more than four years. Although I was prepared for the challenges my children would face doing Chinese in school, I was taken aback by how difficult it was for my daughter to even get a place in school.

When I visited the Ministry of Education (MOE) website, I was initially heartened by the information posted for returning Singaporeans.
The website notes that the "Ministry of Education (MOE) is committed to assisting all Singaporean children, including returning Singaporeans, to benefit from our education system".
My son had been on the Leave of Absence Scheme so his re-entry into primary school was straightforward. My daughter, however, sans PSLE and seeking admission into Secondary 2, faced some difficulty. All the schools we approached had no vacancies.
We shrugged it off as an issue of timing, luck and the popularity of the schools in our vicinity.
As we were unable to make it for the centralised exams under MOE's School Placement Exercise for Returning Singaporeans (Spers) programme, we sought help from the School Placement Service.
We were asked to contact School X, where consideration for entry would be based on an entrance exam. We were confident that in conducting entrance exams, schools would also apply the criteria MOE claims to use for Spers.
The website says: "The papers include non-content-based questions that assess general reasoning skills. This will more holistically assess applicants who have attended overseas schools with curricula different from Singapore's."
I did not think that my daughter would be disadvantaged by the differences in curricula.
School X later informed us that based on the results of the maths test, there was no way my daughter could ever catch up with the maths syllabus, and therefore she could not be accepted.
My daughter later sat for an entrance exam in another school which we contacted on our own accord. Unfortunately, she was not accepted there either, despite her feeling she had done quite well. No reason was given, and the entire process was very impersonal.
We were discouraged. Our choices had been realistic; we had applied for places not just in brand-name schools. Alas, nothing was considered other than exam results. No consideration was given to my daughter's previous school results, awards, nor her extra-curricular activities. She was not interviewed and there were no general-reasoning ability tests, an important way to gauge aptitude.
For the record, my daughter managed to catch up with the local maths syllabus in a matter of three weeks. She is now happily enrolled in an international school and is deservedly in the top maths set.
So, despite what is said about welcoming returning talent, the environment does not really seem to be conducive for those with school-going children. Perhaps, more guidance needs to be given to schools on how to assess children coming from other school curricula. Soon Van Kit Meng (Mrs)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>troubletimes <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>May-25 2:18 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(2 of 12) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>13947.2 in reply to 13947.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>This woman is very silly. If she holds a PRC passport, she will be given special preference, and even free engrish tuition to accommodate her engrish standards.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
What school has the daughter been studying in? Can't pass maths, can't pass Chinese, can't only talk and talk English - and then blame it on MOE?

Ar least those PRCs before enrolling in our mainstream school spend 6 - 12 months studying English and making it up for Science and Maths - the main subjects.

This woman comes back and expect the gahment and everybody to serves her needs. It is not an entitlement but a privilege. Same with some Sporeans who given all the opportunities in schools but not taking full advantage of it.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What school has the daughter been studying in? Can't pass maths, can't pass Chinese, can't only talk and talk English - and then blame it on MOE?

Ar least those PRCs before enrolling in our mainstream school spend 6 - 12 months studying English and making it up for Science and Maths - the main subjects.

This woman comes back and expect the gahment and everybody to serves her needs. It is not an entitlement but a privilege. Same with some Sporeans who given all the opportunities in schools but not taking full advantage of it.

WTF does she want her duaghter to come back here for?...to speak liks this, 'got this one, meh!" "wah lahu eh!, how come you neber buy for me, one leh!"???

Equally bad Mandarin...with "kan ma" this, "kan ma" that... "ni hou ma, ok?"...ok this, ok that...

wtf?....:rolleyes:

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is a privilege for Singaporeans to study in Singapore?

If MOE is world class, it should force schools to accept any returning Singaporeans, and help them get up to speed to Singapore's ridiculous education system!

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those who get posted overseas with families, and kids studying in international schools,,,,, international syallabus is easy, singapore system is gruelling, and most parents send their kids back for Pri 4 and 5 to prepare them for PSLE, and most don't send their kids back for secondary, just let them continue overseas if possible and an overseas degree later,,,,

what the MOE and government promise for parents overseas under a certain scheme, don't believe it too much because it is like a legal thing, it is subject to terms and conditions unless you are someone powerful (but then again, someone powerful need not study in singapore) or make alot of noise up to the highest (not God hor)

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think her point is that her daugher could catch up in 3 weeks. You should know how mechanical Singapore math classes and assignments are.