• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - Dog still died after couple spent $60K on vet bills, had to sell their HDB flat to pay off debt

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
jupets15a.jpg

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...yway-and-they-had-to-sell-flat-to-settle-debt

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkie vets lousy? And buy from illegal breeder.. So expensive.. They are truly fucked. Get a dog and lose their home. Same as buy phone, buy from original boutique. I got my Huawei flagship from the Huawei shop, not even dealer.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how many kids will spend $60k for their parents' doctor bills.

i think nothing wrong with the dog lah...............this couple the brains got major problems...............

don't say 60K..................if bill is gonna be 600 bucks........ i'll ask the vet to put the dog to sleep.............

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stupid couple. Should have done a good deed (and saved tons of money) by euthanizing that dog. Give it another chance to be reincarnated and probably can return as the couple's next child instead.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many delulu pawrents spend a fortune on their furkids. :biggrin:

You see some of their kind putting their furkids into baby strollers and pushing them around inside malls. :roflmao:

These days, the amount spent on pets' funerals might even exceed the amount spent on funerals for humans. :wink:

And they are selling insurance plans for pets too. :cool:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
pethelpful.com

7 Health Reasons Not to Buy a French Bulldog (Frenchie)​

Mark dos Anjos, DVM

6–8 minutes

Frenchies Are So Cute—Why Wouldn't I Want One?​

"I am looking to get a new dog and think that Frenchies are cute. When I was talking about this with a friend of mine, she told me that this was a really big decision because those dogs were sick all of the time. Is this true? Why should I get another dog and not a Frenchie?"—Holly

French Bulldogs Have Many Health Problems​

French Bulldogs are cute little dogs and are one of the few breeds that will sleep and stay quiet most of the day when you are at work. Unfortunately, it is true there are several health problems because they are brachycephalic (have a short head and flat face) and are continuously being bred for the flattest faces possible.

7 Reasons Not to Own a Frenchie​

So, you're wondering why you should avoid French Bulldogs? Let me explain the 7 reasons why owning one is a bad idea and why perpetuating the breeding of these dogs is inhumane.

1. Breathing Problems​

Trouble breathing is the most serious issue, in my opinion. All of the brachycephalic breeds (Bulldogs, Boxers, Pugs, etc.) have short faces, which lead to a crowded airway, so it takes more effort for them to breathe normally. They are more prone to heat stress than other types of dogs.
Some of the problems with the airway include tiny nostrils, a long soft palate, a thick tongue, and a trachea that is weak and prone to collapse. Many of the dogs with airway problems will end up needing surgery, and unfortunately, they have more complications than other breeds:
  • Respiratory distress: Difficulty breathing during anesthesia, sometimes progressing to the point that the dog does not have enough blood flow to the brain and internal organs.
  • Vomiting
  • Aspiration pneumonia: Dogs that vomit during anesthesia are much more likely to have the vomitus get to the lungs and develop an infection in the lungs. The infection can be life-threatening.
This video discusses the problem and will show you how some Frenchies breathe because of being bred for a flat face:

2. Eye Problems

Frenchies have been bred to have a face that is cute, and that breeding has led to many eye problems. Their eyelids roll in, they have excessive tears that leak out on the face, have bulging eyes that pop out of the socket easily, and sometimes even have hair that grows into the eye.
They are about 20 times more likely to have eye problems than breeds that do not have a flat face, and many of them will need surgery to repair the defects in their eyes. (1)

3. Skin Problems​

In one study of Frenchies from the UK, 17.9 percent of the dogs had skin problems. The most common problem was an infected or inflamed skin fold, but 2.5 percent had an infection in the feet, and 2 percent also had allergies affecting the skin. (2)
Dogs will not usually need surgery for any of these issues but will need to be watched and treated appropriately. The skin folds need to be kept clean, any skin infections treated, and medicated baths should be part of the normal care of a Frenchie.

Recommended​

4. Dental Problems​

Frenchies are bred for a flat face, so they all have an undershot jaw. The teeth do not match up, are crowded, and become infected easily. If the teeth are not brushed daily and other dental care methods are not used to take care of their mouths, they will definitely need surgery to clean beneath the gums and to remove excessive tartar.
This video shows some of the techniques to use with these dogs:

5. Skeletal Problems​

All brachycephalic dogs have spinal problems, but in screw-tailed breeds like Frenchie’s they also have scoliosis, a twisted back, and end up having problems with their spinal disks. Some end up paralyzed and need wheels, but others make it through surgery.

6. Digestive Problems​

All Frenchies, and most other brachycephalic dogs, have an increased risk for GI diseases:
  • Hiatal hernias: Dogs with this problem have a stomach that slips up into the chest, and they regurgitate more often.
  • Esophagitis: Inflammation of the esophagus.
  • Slow transit time in the esophagus
  • Acid reflux: Dogs with this problem may burp a lot, salivate excessively, and have other signs of nausea. This may not need surgery but will require daily medications like Pepcid, Zantac, Prilosec, or Tagamet.

7. Breeding Problems​

Frenchies are unable to breed normally, and most dogs need a C-section to give birth. One study by the Royal Society in the UK found that Frenchies were 16 times more likely to have problems giving birth than other dog breeds.
Many of them will need a C-section, so they will need general anesthesia, and they are much more likely to have problems at that time.

Why Do Vets Not Suggest Frenchies?​

All of those problems I listed do add up. Some dogs come in for one problem, like skeletal, but have so many breathing problems that surgery is dangerous. Amongst a group of 306 dogs that had surgery for vertebral problems, 19.6% of them had respiratory problems during the anesthesia, and 10.1% of them became cyanotic (they were blue since no oxygen was available) and went into respiratory arrest. (3)
It is very difficult for me to say whether you should or should not get a French Bulldog. They are great little dogs, but if you decide to bring one home, you should do so with your eyes open and be aware that there are most likely going to be some problems, and maybe even one or more surgeries, in the years ahead.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rabbits are the best pets. Quiet, clean, low maintenance. Shorter lifespan so you don't get too attached.

If you are a high SES Sinkie living on landed property, get pet chickens. They help to eat the bugs in your garden. The hens lay eggs, the rooster is an alarm clock.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they really owned their HDB….they would been able to go to a commercial bank and get a secured loan against their title deed instead of having to sell it.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If they really owned their HDB….they would been able to go yo a commercial bank and get a secured loan against their title deed instead of having to sell it.

I don't think there's any title deed.

It's all on lease, but the HDB gaslights you about the concept of 'home ownership'. :wink: