• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sexist stereotypes

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
“Aiyoh, so wannabe act-cute.”

That was the first thought that flitted through my brain when I watched that now-infamous video of new PAP candidate Tin Pei Ling stamping her feet.

I wasn’t the only one who thought this way, as evidenced by the big din being made about Ms Tin this week as netizens dissected that video, and other photos taken from her Facebook account.

After making that initial snap judgment, I paused. Would it be fair to judge someone just because of the way she expresses her frustration? Or come to think of it, because of the fact that she likes to buy designer products?

It got me thinking : how come we haven’t judged any of the PAP male candidates the way that we seem to have judged Ms Tin, or indeed, the other female candidates?

In the local blogosphere, where cutting criticism of the government and the PAP abounds, the scorn heaped upon all the heads of the party’s newbies has been plentiful.

But what has struck me is how criticism of the female candidates has been based on them being, well, female.

For example, Ms Tin is not just attacked for being young. She is dismissed as a “gold-digging”, “sexy xiao mei mei” (Chinese for little sister) who is “act-cute” – to describe her in some terms used by netizens.

Another new PAP female candidate, Foo Mee Har, has been the subject of controversy for being a new citizen. But she has also been criticised as being a pretty but empty-headed “flower vase”.

Similar disparaging remarks have been made even about the looks of female opposition figures.

Lina Chiam, from the Singapore People’s Party, has been called an “aunty” and “Ah Soh” for her dressing and the way she talks, while Hazel Poa, a candidate from National Solidarity Party, has had her looks jeered at.

In contrast, the criticism of male candidates has tended to focus on their background and credentials - for example, Janil Puthucheary’s father, and Desmond Choo’s ability to relate to poor people.

Why is nobody basing their criticism of these men on their looks? Or how they dress?

I guess it’s easy – and second nature – for us to form superficial snap judgments. We do it every day, whether we’re admiring a smart dresser walking by (“wah, must be a model!”), or rolling our eyes at someone picking his nose on the MRT (“that Ah Beng is so gross!”).

And by default of their status as public figures, politicians should be judged on things like their public image and how they present themselves to voters.

But when we form impressions of them, should we not also be mindful of the kind of words that we automatically reach for to describe them?

If you think about it, it is pretty unfair to dismiss these female candidates using lazy gender stereotypes.

Like many other Singaporeans - and as a Marine Parade GRC constituent myself – I will be keeping a close eye on Ms Tin and everything that she says and does.

But I will try to see her not as a “xiao mei mei”, but a grown woman trying to prove her political chops. After all, that’s only fair.

[email protected]

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
image003small.jpg

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She put up her private life on facebook and now KPKB when netizens comment about it. Now even the state media is helping her.

If you want to be a public figure, your private life is the first to go.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>It got me thinking : how come we haven’t judged any of the PAP male candidates the way that we seem to have judged Ms Tin, or indeed, the other female candidates?<<

This is a hint to dig up more dirt on MALE PAPee dogs as well. Hey be fair ok! If wanna whack, must whack all ma.

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>It got me thinking : how come we haven’t judged any of the PAP male candidates the way that we seem to have judged Ms Tin, or indeed, the other female candidates?<<

This is a hint to dig up more dirt on MALE PAPee dogs as well. Hey be fair ok! If wanna whack, must whack all ma.

HumJi piece of shit

I haven't seen you whack any PAP member yet
You just hide behind your OA clones to fuck others but don't dare to say anything using your cooleo nick

Where are your balls?
Were you castrated to prevent disease and peasant genes from spreading?

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
HumJi piece of shit

I haven't seen you whack any PAP member yet
You just hide behind your OA clones to fuck others but don't dare to say anything using your cooleo nick

Where are your balls?
Were you castrated to prevent disease and peasant genes from spreading?

takemedicineanddontimangine.jpg

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
People who are focusing on Tin are silly. She is going to be in a GRC and no matter what you guys say, she is getting into Parliament. That is the whole point of putting her upfront for the public to comment. This will distract the public from other issues and candidates.

Leave her alone, she cannot do much and will not have much influence for now as she is still young.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
SM Goh suggest that Sinkies should give youth a chance... Meaning they can afford to make mistakes at our expense...

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leave her alone, she cannot do much and will not have much influence for now as she is still young.

Leave her alone? sorry hor, if she's getting in to parliament to learn, please don't do it at the expense of tax payers' money and another more effective MP's place.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is what all Male politicians should look like
article-0-01672E34000004B0-465_468x560.jpg

And what all Female Politicians should look like
dressing-for-working-women.jpg