• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Seeking opinion .. does positive outlook help

Romagnum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seeking opinion .. does positive outlook help in easing pain and delaying death from terminal cancer

Or is it just bluffing yourself by denying reality and making things worse

Please help if you can. If no helpful comment, please refrain from comment. You can scold me elsewhere but not this thread, I am trying to help dear friend

Thank you

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your thinking is simplistic. Perhaps you are still young and yet to develop maturity of thought. Perhaps in the future, hopefully with more experience and maturity, you will understand the folly of your remark

Seeking opinion .. does positive outlook help in easing pain and delaying death from terminal cancer

Please help if you can. If no helpful comment, please refrain from comment. You can scold me elsewhere but not this thread, I am trying to help dear friend

Thank you

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you

I think it is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you think it helps, it will help. If not, then it won't

Cancer can be extremely painful for the patient. And in terminal cases, doctors often prescribe morphine to ease the suffering but the morphine can lead to nausea and delusion

There are no easy answers. In the end we all die, but in my humble opinion, it will be easier if you have a song in your heart

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Terminal cancer management is best left to the family, doctors and the hospice. Take their advice. Just be there if called for.

I think it is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you think it helps, it will help. If not, then it won't

Cancer can be extremely painful for the patient. And in terminal cases, doctors often prescribe morphine to ease the suffering but the morphine can lead to nausea and delusion

There are no easy answers. In the end we all die, but in my humble opinion, it will be easier if you have a song in your heart

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you

just face the fact. all the + shite is just lying to yourself and making u feel better.

High Command

Alfrescian
Loyal
All things considered if you are going to die anyway eventually so why not enjoy that remaining life you have left.

Having a positive outlook does not mean self delusion. My take is tell who ever it is to live out the rest of his/her days to the fullest.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you

if it's terminal, it doesn't help. you still die in the end.

same goes for the job prospect. if u r beyond 40 and above, either u take up as a cleaner or low class job or remain nonchalantly unemployed or retired happily like my li'l brother LEETAHSAR.

verdict: IT DOESN'T HELP. u just cheat yourself only temporarily.:wink:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Studies have shown that it makes little difference.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WN/CancerPreventionAndTreatment/Story?id=3406364&page=1

Positive Outlook May Not Prolong Life in Cancer Fight

Researcher Finds Cancer Support Groups May Not Offer Anything Beyond Emotional Support

By BARBARA PINTO
July 23, 2007
carousel_wn_logo.gif

17 comments
<!--empty -->
<!-- This is an example of overriding the defaults 1 url of permalink/page 2 title (escape single quotes) 3 rss location or false 4 id of story for STF and print page 5 STF available 6 show font size --> <script type="text/javascript"> abcNewsShare.render(false,false,false,'','3406364','addthis',true); </script> On the third Thursday of every month, a group of women gather at Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital in Barrington, Ill. They sip tea out of china cups, nibble on cookies and share some of their worst moments.

abc_wn_therapy2_070723_mn.jpg

"I'm Elaine, and I'm just starting to deal with cancer," says a white-haired woman whose husband has come along for support at the session sponsored by the national organization Y-Me.

She asks about the side effects of the chemotherapy her doctor has prescribed. Nearly everyone at this table can offer an answer.

To her left, Carol, a perky woman with a broad smile, talks about her diagnosis of breast cancer -- a relatively rare form that did not show up on her mammogram.

"I'm stage four," she says." I'm living with breast cancer and don't think I'll ever be out of treatment."

Support groups like this one are at the core of modern breast cancer care, helping women cope with a life-changing diagnosis. But beyond offering information and psychological support, new research questions how much talking about the disease and focusing on a positive outlook help someone beat the disease.

Landmark Study Reversed
Eighteen years ago, Dr. David Spiegel of Stanford University Medical Center conducted a groundbreaking study that found that women with metastatic breast cancer who shared their problems and listened to those of others thought more positively about their own chances of survival and lived an average of 18 months longer than those who didn't get group support.

That study virtually jump-started the support-group movement and helped generate talk of a mind-body connection for cancer treatment.

"I think there has evolved over this past decade the sense that you've got to think positive to beat cancer," said Jimmie Holland, a psychiatrist at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

Others had been unable to duplicate Spiegel's findings. But recently Spiegel repeated his original study -- this time with surprising results. He found group therapy and positive thinking appeared not to be significant factors in a patient's life span.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank you
Depends on how you would classify positive outlook. I guess to a dying person having a positive outlook is not expecting some miracles to happen but rather to accept one's fate.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Everyone of us will die some day... Jus a matter of sooner or later... Blessed are those who die in their sleep or jus drop dead out of nature caused... Not everyone is so lucky... Esp when doc told u got 6 mths or 2 yrs to live... Imagine how it's like while waiting 4 the countdown... Of course if u can bochap n cont to go geylang kio kway till u drop dead is so much better then spending every min and sec worrying...

Then again... how many can adapt a +ve attitude toward the final days of ur life...

So positive outlook does help in easing pain i guess but whether will delay death from terminal cancer onot... Guess it's a "case by case" thingy... Honestly... if kena terminal illness, going fast is a blessed...

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Thank you

I think accepting the inevitable positively helps better, instead of trying to find a non existent medical solution or one that has yet to be found, accept the fact that from the minute we were born, we are heading to our deaths too. when its time to go, its time to go.

U

UpYoz_olo

Thank you

No! book yourself flights to NZ, Denmark, Japan and live the last minutes better. At least, you die with pleasant memories.

:oIo:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
What they meant is to have a positive outlook in fighting the disease. They do not mean having a positive outlook can ease the pain or delay death.

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
lky-2.jpg

Too bad, all you useless fuckers have to die. Me, I will live forever to fuck you all more. September 16 is coming. Happy birthday to me.... Happy birthday to me....Happy birthdayday to dear me....Happy birthday to me!....hee...hee...hee.....hee