• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP releases paper on pay of political office holders

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE - The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) released a paper yesterday outlining its proposals on the salaries of political office holders, which the Opposition party said would be sent to an eight-member committee undertaking the review.

In its 14-page paper, titled Ethical Salaries For A Public Service Centred Government, the SDP set out five recommendations: To peg ministerial and presidential pay to the allowances of members of Parliament, to establish an independent salary commission and anti-corruption board, to discontinue variable bonuses and to provide allowances for ministers.

The SDP said the paper took four months to produce and was put together by a working group of about 10 people from the party's policy unit. Studying eight countries, the SDP suggested a formula where the President would take home 4.5 times what Members of Parliament (MPs) earn, and the Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers four times and three times respectively.

The salaries of MPs would in turn be linked to the mean wage of the bottom 20th percentile in Singapore, which is S$1,400 according to the latest Ministry of Manpower statistics, said the SDP.

"This percentile has not seen an effective salary increase from 2001 to 2010," said Dr James Gomez, head of the SDP's policy unit.

"So because we want our elected political office holders to be sensitive to the people that have been ... left behind. So the yardstick of their performance is to uplift that 20th percentile."

The Opposition party also suggested the establishment of an independent anti-corruption board. The Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) should be moved out of the Prime Minister's Office and "answerable directly to Parliament as an independent agency", the SDP argued. Its annual reports should also be made public.

The SDP also suggested that all salaries, adjustments, pensions and claims entitlements by present and former office holders "be determined and reviewed" by an independent commission comprising non-partisan and non-government representatives. It should publish the salaries and their breakdowns yearly, the paper said. Ministers should also declare their commercial interests, shareholdings, directorships and other financial interests to this committee.

Finally, the SDP recommended that ministers would be allowed to make claims for any expenses relating to their official duties. "The claims ministers should be governed by a schedule, similar to Civil Service regulations, which should be published by the salary commission to ensure transparency and accountability," the paper said.

The SDP added that they would send the paper to Mr Gerard Ee, who is helming the official committee to review ministerial salaries here. Mr Ee had said in September that the committee had expected to complete the review before the end of the year.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Irony of it all.

Decades ago, 9 Chinese pregnant women workers who were not educated and could not speak English were terminated by their employer. A common practice where labour law hardly existed.

The women sought the help of their union. This union was started by an individual as in those days there were no regulations to cover unions. It practically ran as a private business with memberships paying the income of the "owners".

The Union negotiated with the employer and secured retrenchment payment of $92 per employee, quite a sum in those days. The total sum was handed over to the union. The Union called the women and told them that the employer had agreed on $52 each and made them sign a payment receipt of $52 while the union pocketed $40. As they were uneducated, they could not read the settlement agreement with the employers. Mind you they were all pregnant.

This was not the only incident. There were also a spate of other incidents. The Union chief also began extorting employers to cover overseas trips including one to Austria under the pain of employee strike. Union funds was also used to provide start-up capital and business ventures of friends with the unions securing no interest in the ventures.

All these came out in an official inquiry led by AG chambers and presided over by a judge. They are thus officially recorded and publicly accessible. The union was folded. When I saw how uneducated pregnant women were cheated out of their entitlement close to 45%, I told myself what a true lowlife this union chief was.

We jail people for a day for stealing bread, milk and other essentials but these are no scums compared to a low life that this chap is. This chap never apologised, never showed remorse etc.

Today, the man's son is putting out a paper on Minister's salary. How about putting out a letter of apology and regret for abusing the uneducated and the lower stratum of society on behalf of his father. The fruit does not fall far from the tree.

I could not help but notice that the son has attempted to start a number of entities but the govt knowing the past has curtailed the funding tightly. When he realised that he could not seek gullible foreign NGOS and do-gooders due to the conditions placed, he starts another entity.

Last edited:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Irony of it all.

Decades ago, 9 Chinese pregnant women workers who were not educated and could not speak English were terminated by their employer. A common practice where labour law hardly existed.

The women sought the help of their union. This union was started by an individual as in those days there were no regulations to cover unions. It practically ran as a private business with memberships paying the income of the "owners".

The Union negotiated with the employer and secured retrenchment payment of $92 per employee, quite a sum in those days. The total sum was handed over to the union. The Union called the women and told them that the employer had agreed on $52 each and made them sign a payment receipt of $52 while the union pocketed $40. As they were uneducated, they could not read the settlement agreement with the employers. Mind you they were all pregnant.

This was not the only incident. There were also a spate of other incidents. The Union chief also began extorting employers to cover overseas trips including one to Austria under the pain of employee strike. Union funds was also used to provide start-up capital and business ventures of friends with the unions securing no interest in the ventures.

All these came out in an official inquiry led by AG chambers and presided over by a judge. They are thus officially recorded and publicly accessible. The union was folded. When I saw how uneducated pregnant women were cheated out of their entitlement close to 45%, I told myself what a true lowlife this union chief was.

We jail people for a day for stealing bread, milk and other essentials but these are no scums compared to a low life that this chap is. This chap never apologised, never showed remorse etc.

Today, the man's son is putting out a paper on Minister's salary. How about putting out a letter of apology and regret for abusing the uneducated and the lower stratum of society on behalf of his father. The fruit does not fall far from the tree.

I could not help but notice that the son has attempted to start a number of entities but the govt knowing the past has curtailed the funding tightly. When he realised that he could not seek gullible foreign NGOS and do-gooders due to the conditions placed, he starts another entity.

Juicy.

But I know the chap (the father I mean) ended up among the high echelons of the NTUC. Why is this so and not jail. The union he founded is now the largest in Singapore and not closed, unless you are talking about another one.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
dun agree

without Thomas... these preggy ladies wun even get a single cent,
since there were no labour laws then.... these ladies srsly dun even deserve a single cent....

how can business ever hedge or insure against pregancy risk ?? the truth is they cant...

you can hedge energy price risk with futures, interest rate risk with swaps, and FX risk with forwards but pregancy risk ...?
poor innocent shareholders pay the price....

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Except for a overall reduction in salary and benchmarking to the lowest 20% did anything change, the way jobs are evaluated? President's pay is still higher than the rest.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep. The man who led the inquiry and assisted by a Ministry Finance Audit expert was none other than N Ganesan, the Singapore most successful Football chief who brought glory to the country.
Juicy.But I know the chap (the father I mean) ended up among the high echelons of the NTUC. Why is this so and not jail. The union he founded is now the largest in Singapore and not closed, unless you are talking about another one.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue is exploiting pregnant uneducated women. Screwed by their employer and their union.
dun agree without Thomas... these preggy ladies wun even get a single cent, since there were no labour laws then.... these ladies srsly dun even deserve a single cent....how can business ever hedge or insure against pregancy risk ?? the truth is they cant...you can hedge energy price risk with futures, interest rate risk with swaps, and FX risk with forwards but pregancy risk ...? poor innocent shareholders pay the price....

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue is exploiting pregnant uneducated women. Screwed by their employer and their union.

i think the ladies were damn happy to get even $30 which was quite abit of $ in those days....

not I approve of unions in any way.... nobody elected the unions.... and it goes against the principle of parliamentary democracy...
unions were used by the Mafia in the states and another kind of Mafia here....

fark unions

Checker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not clear to me at all how sins of the father relate to the son. Was one to disown the other, or did the son participate in it also?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually it's common sense. Your family member is an issue and yet you are preaching to others. In his case, I have been watching for sometime and he has been trying to set-up organisation with funding from others. We are looking TT Durai model.
Not clear to me at all how sins of the father relate to the son. Was one to disown the other, or did the son participate in it also?

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually it's common sense. Your family member is an issue and yet you are preaching to others. In his case, I have been watching for sometime and he has been trying to set-up organisation with funding from others. We are looking TT Durai model.

goot riddance for WP....

the kwestion is how much better is WP current batch ??? how much skeleton in their closet?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Would be hard to say if the son knew the father's history and past deeds.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
goot riddance for WP....

the kwestion is how much better is WP current batch ??? how much skeleton in their closet?

Just talking about the candidates, hard to say as none of them looks like they had a public figure dad like Scrob's chap. The most well known probably is Lim Choon Mong, lawyer father of Sylvia Lim. Other folks have ordinary parents, eg. Low TK's dad was a fishmonger.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just talking about the candidates, hard to say as none of them looks like they had a public figure dad like Scrob's chap. The most well known probably is Lim Choon Mong, lawyer father of Sylvia Lim. Other folks have ordinary parents, eg. Low TK's dad was a fishmonger.

That is interesting, but I thought Gerald Giam's father is a medical doctor by professional and both parents are in US most of the time.

Gerald Giam lao peh ish Giam Choo Keong....

I wonder what skeleton in the closet....