• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sam: Do NS For Fuck? What Is There To Defend?

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Increasingly young singaporeans are beginning to question the purpose of national service as the PAP government bring in more FTs and relegate the local to 2nd class status

http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Defending what's (y)ours!

Singapore faces devastating exodus of foreigners (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5557447.ece)

When I read the above, I thought about the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) television advertisement, Defending What's Ours.

For more information, male Singaporeans are forced into National Service and most have reservist obligations. They also take an oath (a verbal social contract with the state):

"We, Members of the Singapore Armed Forces, do solemnly and sincerely pledge that: We will always bear true faith and allegiance to the President and the Republic of Singapore. We will always support and defend the constitution. We will preserve and protect the honour and independence of our country with our lives."

I think the oath has to be revised. We need to protect our economy, our foreign talents and do the jobs foreigners cannot and do not want to do, i.e. National Service. Mind you, time and again, the government has force fed us with the rhetoric and reason that foreign talents in Singapore are recruited to do the jobs Singaporeans cannot and do not want to do. Well, that is true to a large extent. If we saw beyond the xenophobia, we (us Singaporean men, who also happen to be voters, *hint hint*) will come to realise, "Hey, is it worth it defending what's 'ours'?"

What on earth is "ours"?

Maybe defending Singapore is about getting the injuries and post-injury conditions like rheumatism (I have that in most parts of my left leg any way) after National Service.

Maybe defending Singapore is about getting your head dunked in the water till you die from drowning, and I am sure that figures very well in defending the economic imperative. And since we like to "re-enact" and re-create history during the huge propaganda party (with fireworks) that is National Day, why not we reenact every accident and death that have occurred during National Service, right smack in the middle of the performance grounds? After all, Singapore needs to remember its forgotten sons, right? The Singapore story we are told are void of the pains and failures of Singaporeans, and that is why some of us do not identify with it.

Are Singaporeans defending the PAP government and its interests? Are we defending the stratification of society? Are we defending the large income divide? Are we defending the institutions that cause elder people to continue to work when they can retire, to continue to be rubbish bin scavengers and all?

I do not share the same definition of "ours" as the government and its self-professed state-independent military organisation do.

Most of us will not buy one morsel of the advertisement/infomercial. It is merely to justify what is already there. If such a segment is to advertise and provide information, then let it stand in a country where military service is voluntary. Let us see how many Singaporean men will sign up (maybe since times are bad, more will sign up voluntarily, we won't know).

Make National Service voluntary, and you will see the extent to which people identify with the government's message of "defending what's ours". Make it voluntary and you will get what people think about how things are run. Maybe in the advertisement/infomercial, there was a minute parenthesized "y" before the word "ours". It sort of speaks from the perspective of the Singaporean male, wherein we are asked to defend the second person (yours) that is the state and its interests.

I personally do not believe in National Service. It tears me away from my family, my work and the things I love to do. I do not want to be part of any organisation that promotes and reinforces dominant gender norms and structures.

I am not willing to do defending what is "yours". Because we have seen the way our Singaporean sons are forsaken and forgotten, and could have known even more, if not for the state secrecy and media machinery that protects the military organisation.

When times are bad, it is the (immobile) Singaporeans that stay behind, while foreign talents will become foreign talents in other places. But I guess Goh Chok Tong's "quitter/stayer" binary does not apply to foreign talents, because such a rhetoric would clearly disincentivise their arrival or thoughts of coming to Singapore in the first place. Such a binary would be a better guilt-trap and consciousness manipulator for Singaporeans. Horses for courses, and the Singaporean horse is the better horse for doing the master's bidding.

You can't buy loyalty, but you can create legal institutions to enforce compulsory loyalty. And since you have that infrastructure, you can abuse this loyalty. There is nothing any government can do if its people do not believe in its message and ideas, but to enforce rules that sanction, disincentivise and punish these non-believers.

National Service is like pouring thinner down the back of Singaporeans and setting them alight - and there's nothing any one can do about it. Our families and loved ones will also get burnt trying to put out the flames that engulf the remainder years of our youth.

National Service is currently better than going to jail because there is a greater social stigma and discrimination associated with going to jail. The only things that work in favour of National Service are external to the consciousness of some/most Singaporean men, that are the institutions and infrastructure that compel and threaten these men into service. This reminds me of the trafficking of human bodies (live ones of course), but in this instance, within borders.

I will never want to serve military service even if the SAF could give me back my confidence and sense of self-worth, my sanity, and restore my left ankle and knee to its pre-NS condition. I will also not give you son(s) if I had children; you can go "buy" other children, and defend what's yours.

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Knn.. PAP bastoods allowed the influx of FTs like running tap water, whereas locals have to do NS..
Defend Singkapore? Lanjiao! Limpeh will be a defector n turn coat. Tell the invaders i've been waiting
for this day to happen and they have finally come to our rescue. :biggrin:

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
We got angry people because of the PAP school's grading !

The PAP regime got their appointed people in cronies in control of MOE and they filter most to fail !

But their cronies's fathers, mothers and children will go into glam departments and controlling industries !

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will there be enough JAILS in Singapore if every male Singaporean of NS enlistment age chose to go to JAIL rather than serve NS in the SAF camps?

When that day comes, NS will be ABOLISHED not by parliamentary vote but by PEOPLE POWER

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's there to defend? In times of crisis,we NS peasants may turn our arms against the MIW Elites and ask them "WHERE'S OUR MONEY ??????"

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will there be enough JAILS in Singapore if every male Singaporean of NS enlistment age chose to go to JAIL rather than serve NS in the SAF camps?

When that day comes, NS will be ABOLISHED not by parliamentary vote but by PEOPLE POWER

Sinkees do not have the balls for that.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah lor why defend if your father, your mother, your brothers, your sisters, your uncles and aunties, your grandma and your grandpa and your girlfriends are not around in SGP right?

let the country burn baby burn.

like what the "Wallstreets Elites" are doing to their own country now...lol..

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Defend the Constitution? That is a real joke when its gets changed as frequently and as easily as changing underwear. :(

tiulehloumoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah lor why defend if your father, your mother, your brothers, your sisters, your uncles and aunties, your grandma and your grandpa and your girlfriends are not around in SGP right?

let the country burn baby burn.

like what the "Wallstreets Elites" are doing to their own country now...lol..

Hey asshole, you forget that you got your own a asshole to defend hor....even your relative is not here.....:biggrin:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Defend the Constitution? That is a real joke when its gets changed as frequently and as easily as changing underwear. :(

The thing about defending the Constitution in other countries is that it's hard to pass an amendment to one or a few of the clauses of the Constitution because of the system which is created that makes it harder, and needs bipartisanship to pass the legislation.

In the US, there's a need to have 2/3 majorities in both the House and Senate. And then the President needs to be persuaded that the amendment is needed, if not he has the right to veto it. The U.S Supreme Court in D.C may revisit the amendment and declare it void(unconstitutional) if there's any future case that may question the amendment.

Its almost the same in Australia and in Canada, but within the Westminster framework. But here as long as the PAP remains all but for 2 seats, they can easily amend the constitution, and not even give Mr. Chiam and Mr. Low 5 mins to rebut.

UseYourBrain

Alfrescian
Loyal
Attention!!! Let stand up and salute our Great Leaders!! Hormat Senjata!!! Those at home or in the office please rise!!!!

Welcome our Great leaders and we will protect you with our sweat and blood!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MvOAzIEZcZ8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MvOAzIEZcZ8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If theres a war LKY won't hide in bunker because saddam hussein was found & how big is sinkapore?

He will leave on his personal jetplane so u must grab a hand held surface to air missile & down his plane. :biggrin:

Angelo

Alfrescian
Loyal

If theres a war LKY won't hide in bunker because saddam hussein was found & how big is sinkapore?

He will leave on his personal jetplane so u must grab a hand held surface to air missile & down his plane. :biggrin:

that'll be too easy for him. he got much to answer for b4 he die.

funglung

Alfrescian
Loyal
that'll be too easy for him. he got much to answer for b4 he die.

Vote that bastard LKY and his bunch of parasitic PAPs out.

Then question that bastard LKY and find out how much he stole from all of us.

You will find LKY stole more from Singapore than Suharto and Marcos combined together had stolen from Indonesia and Phillipines.

LKY will make Suharto and Marcos look like petty thieves and Madoff a small crook in comparison.

Then Sinkies will know why they work so hard and yet life still so difficult and painful.

Because LKY bleed and bleed their money away.