• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[S League] Geylang Int'l fans made racist monkey chants at African Tanjong Pagar United player

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monkey chants allegedly directed at Tanjong Pagar’s Salif Cisse during Singapore Premier League game​

2024071263402626brianteo-tbsoc12-13.jpg

Observers told ST that French forward Salif Cisse was subject to racist remarks and monkey chants in the first half. ST PHOTO: BRIAN TEO
Deepanraj Ganesan and David Lee
UPDATED

JUL 20, 2024, 09:39 P

SINGAPORE – The Football Association of Singapore (FAS) is investigating allegations of racial abuse by fans targeting French forward Salif Cisse during a Singapore Premier League (SPL) match between Geylang International and Tanjong Pagar United on July 19.

The Tanjong Pagar player, 32, whose family is from West African nation Mali, has scored four goals in seven games. He told The Sunday Times: “To listen to monkey noises... and some words about my colour and my family was too much.

“I’m very shocked because I never thought I would have this experience in Singapore. After coming to Singapore five months ago, I never had this kind of experience at all the stadiums, and I know Singapore is not like this.

“I feel sad because football is for everyone, regardless of your colour or whether you are a foreigner or not. I hope the fans who made this mistake will have a heavy sanction because racism is not welcome in football.

“The best answer I can give is to score and play well on the field, it is better than fighting or shouting with them.”

Observers told ST that Cisse, who scored the opener in the 5-3 defeat by Geylang at the Jalan Besar Stadium, was subject to racist remarks and monkey chants in the first half.

An ST reader, who was at the match but declined to be named, said: “The monkey chants when Cisse got the ball were very obvious and it was shocking to hear. I hope the authorities are able to identify and punish the people involved. It came from the Geylang fans’ section.”

The Jaguars congratulated the Eagles on their victory in a July 20 post on their Facebook page, but noted the “unfortunate incident”.

It added that the club “will be lodging an official complaint with the Football Association of Singapore and filing a police report”.

An FAS spokesman confirmed that it is aware of the allegations and takes a serious view of the incident.

He added: “There is no place for abuse, racism or violence in any form in football and serious action will be taken against parties who are found guilty of such offences.”

In a Facebook post addressed to their fans on July 20, Geylang noted that they are “working closely on an internal investigation” and will continue to work with their official fan club Ultra Eagles to “create a safer and more inclusive environment for all”.

The club also acknowledged that the incident “reflects poorly on our community as a whole” and does not represent the Singapore that they want to share with foreign players. They have also contacted Tanjong Pagar to try to redress the situation.

Ultra Eagles spokesman Rishi Raja said they have identified the group involved, noting that they are not members of the club.

He said: “We have given our statement and report to the club and will be working with them and the authorities involved in the investigation.

“We will not condone such behaviour. We are against racism and any form of discrimination towards any individuals. We are striving to create an atmosphere and a positive football experience for all fans when they turn up for the matches.”