• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Running Dog: AWARE Saga Proves GRC Success Woh!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>May 11, 2009
LESSONS FROM AWARE
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>The GRC parallels
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->THE Aware saga and the valuable lessons learnt from it have made me better appreciate our system of group representation constituencies (GRCs), despite the fact that, until now, I was never an admirer of the system.
The Aware incidents have glaringly highlighted the fragility of our multiracial and multireligious society. It has given us a useful peek into the potential troubles that may crop up when there is a polarisation of a particular view championed on grounds of a faith - real or perceived.
The Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware) was an interest group with merely 300 members until recently. Yet, the racial and religious mix of its 'new' executive committee made some Singaporeans uncomfortable.
Imagine the situation if Parliament was composed of members from a single race or religion. If there were no GRCs and only single-member constituencies, a freak result could bring about such a crisis. Think of the discomfort and distrust it would cause.
The Aware saga clearly demonstrated to us that a faith-based approach to a broader issue - even if it is merely a perception - can breed distrust. One can safely conjecture that the same can be said of national issues.
The GRC system seems an effective means to meet the higher objective of ensuring reasonable minority representation. I now accept and see it as the best solution because the consequences without such safeguards can be dire.
Look no further than the Aware story. We cannot take peace and harmony for granted. The penalty for complacency is never pre-paid and the price will never be known until it is time to pay. So let us be aware.
I urge the Government to impose safeguards to ensure that the GRC system is not misused by any future rogue government by changing the ground rules. I see the GRC concept as a 'fire extinguisher' and would hate to see Singapore lose it.
Johnny Heng