• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Running Bitch Licks Ah Huay

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>A step forward for women
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I WOULD like to congratulate Mrs Lim Hwee Hua on her appointment as Minister in the Prime Minister's Office. It is with great excitement and enthusiasm that I learnt about her appointment - a response, I am certain, many other women in this country share with me. This is certainly an encouragement to those already in politics but, more important, a step forward for women as a whole in Singapore.
In Singapore, women have reached high-level positions in the business world, including the banking sector, the civil service and academia. Women made inroads into politics as early as the 1950s. Many would agree that the appointment of Mrs Lim to this highest- ranking political position held by a woman is long overdue.
Foremost, it is important for women to contribute to diversity at every level of political representation so their voices are heard. In this regard, the impact of women's engagement in politics on government policies cannot be underestimated. Critical issues related to women, the family, childcare support and education tend to be singled out and granted greater attention. Here, the positive spillover effects on society at large are almost certain.
But it must be recognised that Mrs Lim has been appointed to this political position based on her merit and achievements. Nonetheless, the appointment also indicates the changes in perception towards women's critical role and contribution to politics - an arena dominated by men. Installing a woman in an important political position demonstrates the Government's commitment to gender equality.
I anticipate that greater demands will be expected of her. Nevertheless, I have every confidence she will make a positive impact at the decision-making level and on the lives of people in this country because of her goals, credentials and interests. Dr Theresa W. Devasahayam
Coordinator, Gender Studies Programme
Institute of Southeast Asian Studies

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> <TR><TD>
Theresa-web.jpg
Dr Theresa
W DEVASAHAYAM
email:[email protected]

Theresa W. Devasahayam was a Research Fellow in the Centre for Asia Pacific Social Transformation Studies (CAPSTRANS) at the University of Wollongong before joining ARI as a Visiting Affiliate.
Holding a Ph.D. in Sociocultural Anthropology and an M.A. in Public Administration from Syracuse University, New York, U.S.A., Theresa’s research interests include globalization and women’s status, unskilled female labour migration in Southeast Asia, ageing and its implications for female working caregivers, and women’s fertility and reproductive health and rights. In the past, Theresa’s professional record includes holding the position of Associate Population Affairs Officer in the Emerging and Social Issues Division of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific and acting as consultant to the Country Technical Services Teams (CST) of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) in Bangkok, Thailand.
Her time at ARI will be spent completing a project on the Roman Catholic Church in Singapore and its advocacy efforts for foreign domestic workers.
She joins ARI as a Visiting Affiliate from 17 July 2006 to 31 December 2006.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite the years of study, she ended up writing a letter of this sort.

Note this sentence - " But it must be recognised that Mrs Lim has been appointed to this political position based on her merit and achievements. "

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Despite the years of study, she ended up writing a letter of this sort.

Note this sentence - " But it must be recognised that Mrs Lim has been appointed to this political position based on her merit and achievements. "

I have this strange feeling she's being sarcastic.:wink:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have this strange feeling she's being sarcastic.:wink:

You maybe right. It looks really odd. That particular sentence could not have come out of someone who had a decent education.

Uma Thurman's dad Robert is highly respected expert in the field of tibetan buddhism. When he is called by Sothebys or an auction house to talk about tibetan buddhist artifacts, he is known to insult the audience thoroughly without they knowing it. He abhors those that collect such articfacts. Apparently the academic world knows it but not the Art world.

Looks like another Robert Thurman in the works.