• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retrenched twice in Mfg industry

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Making the switch from computer chips to french fries
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Author --></TD></TR><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Goh Chin Lian
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->MS NOORAINI Mohamed Nor broke down when she was retrenched last May, her second layoff in just six months.
It drove her to 'quit' the manufacturing industry - weakened by the global downturn - and look for a job elsewhere.
After 27 years producing integrated circuit chips, she now handles french fries, hash browns and burgers at McDonald's.
Her journey from factory to fast food began when she was first laid off in November 2007.
Having spent nine years as a production operator, and eight more as an assistant trainer, she could not bear to leave.
'The company was like my family,' says Ms Nooraini, 45, who counted two younger colleagues as her confidantes.
Her company paid her $40,000 in retrenchment benefits. It also linked her to an electronics company that made integrated circuit chips and had job openings.
She was hired as an assistant trainer in January last year but could not adapt to her new colleagues and job scope.
'They thought that since I'd worked many years as a trainer, I must be an expert. They dumped the work on me to do on my own,' she said.
She struggled as her experience was in assembling chips while her new job had to do with testing the product.
'I had never been trained in testing. I couldn't cope,' says Ms Nooraini, who has only a primary school education.
'I talked to my supervisor and I cried. The next day, my leader introduced me to a buddy and then cabut (left in a hurry).
'My buddy taught me a bit and then also left me alone. I know they have a lot of work, but I didn't know what to do.'
Two weeks into her new job, she felt so helpless and cried as she confided in her husband, Mr Suleiman Sinwan, 45.
'He said, 'Dear, don't think about it, just resign',' she recalled. She quit in February, just over a month into the job.
Like many retrenched workers, she continued to search for a job that would be like the one she held previously.
'I wanted to work in electronics because of the 12-hour shift, with three days' work and four days' rest, or four days' work and three days' rest,' she said.
So when her sister-in-law took her to a job fair in Jurong East that had vacancies in sectors like security as well as food and beverage - including McDonald's - she did not apply for any of them.
And when North West Community Development Council (CDC) found her a job in health care, with a 3pm to 11pm shift, she also rejected it.
She was holding out for an electronics job as she reckoned her experienceand her ability to speak English, Malay and Mandarin were assets that would land her a job quickly.
Her family was also able to get by on her husband's monthly pay of $1,800 as a forklift driver, along with her retrenchment benefits.
She continued to give $250 a month to her 65-year-old mother, who lives with them in a four-room flat in Bukit Panjang and helps take care of her four-year-old son.
In May last year, Ms Nooraini got a job in an electronics company as a production operator. But six months later, in November, she was laid off again.
'I cried,' she says. 'I was very disappointed. I no longer wanted to work in an electronics company again.'
She went to another CDC job fair in Woodlands. Encouraged by a friend who wanted to work in McDonald's, she signed up.
She took the 7am to 3pm shift, with a day off on Sunday and the option to work on Saturdays.
Initially, she was apprehensive about handling money as a cashier.
Now, four months later, she relishes the work at the counter.
'I have to say 'hello' and be cheerful. I'm the friendly type so it's easy for me to talk to the customers,' she says.
Nodding, her restaurant manager, Ms Cindy Tan, says it is a good job fit.
'Nooraini is a keen learner and has adapted very well. She is well-liked by her customers and colleagues, and her friendly nature and positive attitude add energy to the team.
'She's always cheerful and smiling, and customers have complimented her on the great, friendly service she provides.'
Ms Nooraini advises those laid off to widen their options.
'Don't be fussy. Don't just go for the same kind of job,' she says. 'There are a lot of jobs in customer service.'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore's World Records
On this small island lives the 30 best-paid politicians in the world, comments a blogger. MySingaporeNews.
Apr 3, 2009
As the economic crisis worsens and thousands are being retrenched, the huge salaries of Singapore's political leaders have come under the spotlight not only here - but overseas.
With G20 leaders gathering in London to work out solutions to the global crisis, the Times compiled a list of "the 10 best-paid politicians in the world" - naturally with Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong taking the top spot.
The story was picked up by The Australia, which also works out their salaries when ranked against population.
Mr Lee earns S$3.76 million (US$2.47 million) a year, excluding bonuses, allowances, pensions, etc which add on a significant bit.
This is about 54 cents per head of population. In second position was his counterpart from New Zealand at 9 cents. The rest of the world are all down there, below even the lowest-ranking minister in Singapore.
But Singaporean blogger redbean's "My Singapore News" carries a calculation from its reader, Green Peas, expanding on the UK and Australian reports.
It pointed out that the world's 30 best-paid politicians (a definition that will include ministers, elected president, etc) are all from Singapore.
Here's what the blogger says:
The TOP 30 highest paid politicians in the world are all from Singapore:
1. Elected President SR Nathan - S$3.9 million.
2. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong - S$3.8 million.
3. Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew - S$3.5 million.
4. Senior Minister Goh Chok Thong - S$3.5 million.
5. Senior Minister Prof Jayakumar - S$3.2 million.
6. DPM & Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng - S$2.9 million.
7. DPM & Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean - $2.9 million
8. Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo - S$2.8 million.
9. National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan - S$2.7 million.
10. PMO Miniser Lim Boon Heng - S$2.7 million.
11. Trade and Industry Minister Lim Hng Kiang - S$2.7 million.
12. PMO Minister Lim Swee Say - S$2.6 million.
13. Environment Minister & Muslim Affairs Minister Dr Yaccob Ibrahim - S$2.6 million.
14. Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan - S$2.6 million.
15. Finance Minister S Tharman - S$2.6 million.
16. Education Minister & 2nd Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen - S$2.6 million.
17. Community Development Youth and Sports Minister - Dr Vivian Balakrishnan - S$2.5 million.
18. Transport Minister & 2nd Minister for Foreign Affairs Raymond Lim Siang Kiat - S$2.5 million.
19. Law Minister & 2nd Minister for Home Affairs K Shanmugam - S$2.4 million.
20. Manpower Minister Gan Kim Yong - S$2.2 million.
21. PMO Minister Lim Hwee Hwa - S$2.2 million.
22. Acting ICA Minister - Lui Tuck Yew - S$2.0 million.
23 to 30 = Senior Ministers of State and Ministers of State - each getting between S$1.8 million to S$1.5 million.
Note: 1. The above pay does not include MP allowances, pensions and other sources of income such as Directorship, Chairmnship, Advisory, Consultancy, etc to Gov-linked and gov-related organisations or foreign MNCs such as Citigroup, etc.
2. Though it is based on an estimate, the data cannot be far off the official salary scales.
The above was posted in redbeanforum by Green Peas.
(London Times report: http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/mon...the-world.html)

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Her family was also able to get by on her husband's monthly pay of $1,800 as a forklift driver, along with her retrenchment benefits.
She continued to give $250 a month to her 65-year-old mother, who lives with them in a four-room flat in Bukit Panjang and helps take care of her four-year-old son.

$1,800 for a family can survive meh.
Even for single also quite not enough.
How much do they spend on food daily. Hiazzzzzz....