• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retrenched need the help ... now

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retrenched need the help ... now
06:00 AM May 27, 2009
Letter from D M Samy
I WAS recently at the North West CDC office to look for a training course under the Spur (Skills Programme for Upgrading and Resilience) scheme. I was disappointed to find that most of the courses had already started, with only one intake a year.

A Singapore Polytechnic representative I spoke to said the courses follow their academic year. The recession does not.

How are those who lose their jobs after the course has started going to survive 12 months until the next session begins?

The person I spoke at the CDC said she will give my feedback to the workforce development agency. She seemed surprised when I pointed out to her that most courses had already started.

Here’s a possible solution: Study how community colleges in America operate. They run all year long, with courses starting every three or six months. That would be more suitable in a recession and for those seeking to constantly upgrade themselves.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
How are those who lose their jobs after the course has started going to survive 12 months until the next session begins?

So weird, without retraining, cannot find job, any job? Someone enlighten me on the mechanics of retraining, will retraining guarantee jobs?

Say Bloke A lost a job as a factory worker, got excepted into a baking course, will he be employed as a baker at the end of the course? Or the whole job seeking cycle starts again?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
please ask ah lim, halimah and ah gan...upturn the downturn, reskill, upskill etc

So weird, without retraining, cannot find job, any job? Someone enlighten me on the mechanics of retraining, will retraining guarantee jobs?

Say Bloke A lost a job as a factory worker, got excepted into a baking course, will he be employed as a baker at the end of the course? Or the whole job seeking cycle starts again?

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal

Retraining is just an excuse to keep oneself from losing one's mind. Only fools thinks that by going for skills upgrading when a person's is out of a job would guarrantee a job after.:rolleyes:

When a person is retrenched, it only means one thing, redundacy at work place or company in deeper shit trying to cut losses by axing staff.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Retraining is just an excuse to keep oneself from losing one's mind. Only fools thinks that by going for skills upgrading when a person's is out of a job would guarrantee a job after.:rolleyes:

When a person is retrenched, it only means one thing, redundacy at work place or company in deeper shit trying to cut losses by axing staff.

Agree and well said. Almost all the SPUR course or retraining course are like motivation course/ 99% are theory base. Doesn't really help in upgrading skill.
Mostly is how to manage.
Those course are no use in technical knowledge skill like machanical/electrical/electronic/programming/ .....................those need to hand on jobs.