• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retired kangaroo judge dies

CENWEN

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
April 2, 2009
Retired judge dies <!--10 min-->
Ex-High Court judge was known for being tough but fair; he delivered over 100 judgments <!-- headline one : start --> <!-- headline one : end --> <!-- Author --> <!-- show image if available --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr></tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2" class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold">By Khushwant Singh </td></tr> <tr valign="bottom"> <td width="330">
ChoorSingh-ST.jpg

</td> <td width="10">
c.gif
</td> <td valign="bottom">
c.gif

Justice Singh started out as a law clerk before becoming a district judge in 1960 and a Supreme Court justice three years later. -- ST FILE PHOTO
</td></tr> </tbody></table> <!-- START OF : div id="storytext"-->
THE judge reputed to be this country's toughest was a self-made man, said many who knew retired Justice Choor Singh, who died on Tuesday at the age of 98. The man who started out as a law clerk went on to put 47 years in public service, the last 17 on the bench of the Supreme Court. Between 1963 and 1980, Justice Singh presided over civil and criminal cases in the High Court and the Court of Appeal, and delivered more than 100 judgments.
He also earned a reputation for handing down capital sentences, which earned him the 'Hanging Judge' label.

He was the first judge here to send a woman to the gallows. She was Mimi Wong, the cabaret queen who killed her Japanese lover's wife in 1970.
After Justice Singh retired, he spent his time playing golf and writing on the history of the Sikhs here. His son, Dr Daljeet Singh Sidhu, 67, told The Straits Times that his father, who had found walking difficult for two years, died in his bed at 4.30pm. Justice Singh's wife had died in 2004.
In an interview with The Straits Times in 1996, the gruff, no-nonsense man brushed off the 'Hanging Judge' sobriquet, saying his conscience was clear.
'I'm satisfied that I've made no mistake and that I've done my duty according to the law,' he said.
Read the full story in Thursday's edition of The Straits Times.
[email protected]

CENWEN

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why don't u go and do some digging? To me all of them are, under the ruling party. Hell, as if i care! :biggrin:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Mr.Singh had a reputation as the 'hanging judge'.People dreaded at the thought of going to his court.An old uncle told me lah.

Besides PAP has this love affair with Mr. & Mrs. Singhs.Ever notice the lawyer defending PAP,the judges,the Police many many govt officers happen to be a singh..A coincidence?

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was rumoured that he was in line for the presidency, before they did the wayang about having an elected president. There was however one serious impediment.... Quite a sad one actually.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
He will burn in hell and denied entry into the Golden Temple, he is nothing but a Lee Kuan Yew arse kissing lackey. he and Wee Chong Jin are buggering each other's arsehole in hell now.

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Mr.Singh had a reputation as the 'hanging judge'.People dreaded at the thought of going to his court.An old uncle told me lah.

Besides PAP has this love affair with Mr. & Mrs. Singhs.Ever notice the lawyer defending PAP,the judges,the Police many many govt officers happen to be a singh..A coincidence?

How can our Judges sentence drug mule to death while our gov name a orchid after the biggest drug lord.

Hypocrite to the core. Both Politicians and our law.