• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Publish the incomes and assets of leaders

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Publish the incomes and assets of leaders

I AM heartened to read Thursday's report, 'Watchdog finds four areas for improvement'. The Commissioner of Charities has highlighted areas of improvements to help the seven audited charities improve their financial management.
All seven religious groups had annual incomes of over $10 million each. A recommendation was made for proper documentation of loans issued by charities to fund their projects. The basis of the recommendation was for transparency and accountability.

Leaders of mega religious groups in Singapore have contributed significantly to the less fortunate and overseas missions. Temple devotees and church flocks have supported the noble aims of religious organisations. Many have given to temples and churches in the hope and belief that their financial sacrifices will be channelled fully to targeted beneficiaries.

In the same vein, religious leaders have gained the trust of their followers. They are expected to practise what they preach: help the less fortunate and renounce personal love of money.

Perhaps the mega religious groups, especially those with annual incomes of over $10 million, could follow the example of the civil service in transparent and full disclosure of government officers' remuneration. The earnings of government leaders, including the President, have been made known to the public.

I propose the Commissioner of Charities require all mega religious groups to publish regularly the following:

Gross annual incomes of religious leaders;

Public and members' donations to religious leaders;

Personal assets such as property and investment accounts of religious leaders; and

Business holdings and commercial interests of religious leaders.
To take a leaf from the Bible, the Levites, the Jewish religious leaders, served full time in the synagogues and held no property or wealth as their livelihood came from temple devotees' donations. They trusted God to meet their daily needs.

It would be unreasonable to expect religious leaders to live like paupers. However, because of their sacrificial love for the poor, they would not mind earning a minimum decent wage to meet their family lifestyle and daily expenses. Perhaps the Commissioner of Charities should consider a cap on the gross incomes of religious leaders.

To prevent tongues wagging over shepherds who fleece their sheep, an open accounting and disclosure of personal assets and annual incomes of religious leaders should be made known to the public. After all, it would be a cognitive disconnect and social incongruence for a religious leader to own a luxury car and live in a fine apartment while his brethren beg for food and shelter in the street.

George Lim

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST+Forum/Story/STIStory_277947.html

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the same vein, religious leaders have gained the trust of their followers. They are expected to practise what they preach: help the less fortunate and renounce personal love of money.

Popular concepts of religions may not apply to some of these mega-religious organizations.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
what about those of their children and spouse ???
some smart politicians will transfer or use their family members and relatives to hold their assets.

david

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is one hell of a letter by George Lim
icon14.gif

I'll be a lot more comfortable donating if I know the money is not going to the pastor's BMW or the monk's Mercedes :o

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
And they can post residence and address of those rich individuals !

And attract those Malaysian cars and vans to come here to patrol their estates !

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://luxuryasiahome.wordpress.com...es-fight-to-get-in-on-horizon-towers’-appeal/
More parties fight to get in on Horizon Towers’ appeal

Posted by luxuryasiahome on September 29, 2007

IT HAD all the elements of a classic courtroom drama - big bucks at stake, anxious owners and more lawyers than you could poke a stick at - but yesterday’s Horizon Towers hearing was far from a stirring showdown.
The owners had gone to the High Court in a bid to overturn a Strata Titles Board (STB) ruling that aborted the collective sale of their Leonie Hill estate.

But lengthy argument involving a scrum of legal eagles - at least four senior counsel and six law firms turned up - over who could actually be involved in the proceedings threw a hefty spanner in the works.
Two groups wanted to be included but four other parties protested.
After about three hours of legal to and fro, Justice Choo Han Teck is expected to rule on Monday whether these groups can take part, which will mean the actual appeal hearing can start.

It centres on the STB’s Aug 3 ruling that the sale application for the 210-unit condo was defective due to procedural errors.
The majority owners who signed the sale deal, represented by senior counsel Chelva Rajah from Tan, Rajah & Cheah, want that decision overturned.

But two other parties said they wanted to have their say as well.
One is a group of individuals - including pop star Ho Yeow Sun and her husband, Kong Hee - who own 13 units. All signed the sale deal and said they wanted to participate in the hearing

The other is the consortium led by Hotel Properties (HPL) that signed the $500 million deal in February to buy the estate.

It maintains that the appeal outcome could affect the breach of contract suit it filed against the majority owners last month claiming lost profits of $800 million to $1 billion from the botched deal.

It had that suit adjourned on Thursday after the owners extended the sale deadline to Dec 11 but it is still ‘alive’.

Its lawyer, Mr K. Shanmugam from Allen & Gledhill, argued that if the court ruled that the STB was wrong, it could be used by majority owners to ‘white-wash’ their alleged breach of contract.

‘We, the purchaser, are the only real parties interested in seeing this contract through,’ he said.

This rankled Mr Rajah, who argued that the majority owners were trying to get an appeal against the STB decision in order to fulfil the contract.
The consortium’s application irked the group of more than 30 owners at court. At one point, murmurs of discontent rose from the gallery when Mr Shanmugam rose to speak.

Meanwhile, three separate lawyers for the minority owners who did not sign the sale agreement argued against the two groups joining the proceedings. They said it was unnecessary and would raise costs for everyone.

An owner, 53-year-old real estate developer Victor Ow, said later that he had not expected things to get so complicated.

‘All of us like to be treated fairly…We shouldn’t, as owners, be known in the market as greedy and as villains.’
Source : Straits Times - 29 Sept 2007

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://healtheland.wordpress.com/20...teachings-of-kong-hee-of-city-harvest-church/

Non-Biblical Teachings Of Kong Hee Of City Harvest Church

Posted by Job on March 30, 2008
Original Post At Sicarii.net
Foreword: this is a word out to Christians out there, and please
understand that I do it in all love as I care about your salvation and
what you’re learning from church. Sure, I might not know you from Adam,
but my concern for you as a brother or sister-in-Christ compels me to
write this even as I know it might draw a ton of flak.
Listen to me, and listen well: if you desire a true relationship
with God and a real Christian walk, stop listening to the filth that is
coming out of that pulpit at City Harvest Church!
This is my personal comment on the teachings of the pastor Kong Hee, after watching his sermon presented this morning (Sunday, January 6, 2008) via the net.
The entire sermon was about setting goals
that are Specific, Measurable, Action-Plan, Realistic Goals,
Time-Conscious, or S.M.A.R.T goals. For the Christian, since, well,
it’s a church eh?, he added 2 more characteristics for goals that one
should set — Expectation management and Revelation, thus making the
goals for Christians S.M.A.R.T.E.R.
I took notes as I watched the sermon once there was an indication
that this sermon was going to be the filth that is the prosperity
gospel again as is the norm at City Harvest Church.
First off, our Christian walk is not a self-improvement course in
how to better set goals and realize our best in finances, marriage,
relationships, etc.! Our Christian walk is about our relationship with
our Lord Jesus Christ, and working with ‘fear and trembling’ towards
our salvation (Philippians 2:12).
Secondly, Kong Hee took passages from Bible versions as and when
they fitted into the message he was trying to bring across. For
example, if the New Living Translation (NLT) had the word ‘goal’ in one
verse, he’d take the interpretation of Scripture in that version and
underline that word.
Below is my point-for-point rebuttal of the sermon:
Taking Verses Out of Context

Kong Hee reads from the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible, citing Luke 11:34
and only mentioning the first part of the verse where it says “The
light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy
whole body also is full of light;”
It’s not surprising that he only mentioned the first part of the
verse, because next up is veering the topic towards how the fact that
“thine eye is single” equates to focus and therefore leads to
goal-setting.
The entire verse in Luke 11:34 (KJV) actually states this:
The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine
eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye
is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.
Now, you tell me: even someone with some rudimentary knowledge of
English will tell you that reading the entire verse does not give one
the impression that it has anything to do with focus and goal-setting.
One can easily infer from the word ‘evil’ in the opposite lesson the
word ’single’ would mean something similar in meaning to ‘good’, no?
In fact, the English Standard Version translates that verse thus:
Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is
healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your
body is full of darkness.
Luke 11:34
There is nothing in that verse that speaks of focus and goal-setting!
In fact, I’d like to ask Kong Hee why he is teaching something else
together instead of the entire context from which verse 34 is in? Our
Lord Jesus Christ taught this:
No one after lighting a lamp puts it in a cellar or
under a basket, but on a stand, so that those who enter may see the
light. Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eye is healthy,
your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full
of darkness. Therefore be careful lest the light in you be darkness. If
then your whole body is full of light, having no part dark, it will be
wholly bright, as when a lamp with its rays gives you light.
What a contrast when pitted against his brand of market-place gospel, isn’t it?

There’s more:
  • Quotation of 1 Corinthians 9:26 out of context
  • Quotation of Philippians 3:14 out of context
  • Quotation of Proverbs 16:9
    out of context and without mentioning (again!) the second part of the
    verse where it says that “but the Lord establishes his steps.”
I beseech you, brethren, that those who were there at the sermon
read those verses for yourself in their context and search as the good
Bereans did if indeed the pastor has taught the Bible or some
self-improvement goal-setting lesson from the pulpit instead.
Purpose-Driven Drivel

I am not surprised at all that at the closing of his sermon that he brought the purpose-driven drivel into focus.
Oh, yes, my dear brethren, the promise that the new year will be the
best that you’ve ever had is repeated all over the world in churches
expounding the prosperity gospel in case you don’t already know! In
fact, there’s record that they do it almost every year!
Calling to Unbelievers

How does a sermon that has served nothing but to teach a
non-Biblical lesson touch any non-believers in the midst of that
many-thousand-strong congregation?
I was surprised that a call to the unbelievers was even made! Look,
if I were an unbeliever, I wouldn’t have gone forward to be led to
become a Christian unless I’d said “hey, I’d like some of that riches
that your God gives!”.
What kind of Christians will they be?
Where’s the preaching of sin in the first place? I don’t believe
anyone can become a true Christian and disciple of Christ unless there
is conviction in their hearts that they are sinners and are repentant
and know that only the Lord Jesus Christ is able to forgive them and
make them acceptable before God!
Can someone be moved to know that he or she needs Christ because the
pastor taught a lesson in setting goals? If so, we should be seeing
more conversions at Anthony Robbins seminars than in churches!
I worry for the souls of those who went forward. I really do.
Because like the parable that our Lord Jesus Christ taught, these will
be those who shall be building their houses on shifting sand, and a
great fall they shall have when the winds blow and the rains beat down!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What Gives Then?

No, I am not jealous of the success of City Harvest Church nor Kong Hee (in fact, Kong Hee is a senior at our alma mater). I have no reason to be.
Neither did I start out with an agenda to be mean or unkind, but
after hearing so much filth from the pulpit in the church and having
listened in on a few archived sermons at their website, it weighs
heavily on my heart to warn.
The truth of the matter is that a cousin from my wife’s side of the
family now attends that church and I’m hoping to counsel him and help
him see the truth. That’s why I sometimes would watch their sermons and
find out more about the church for myself.
Dear brethren, besides fellowship, attending church is for your
education in all things spiritual and edifying to your soul, so that
you might be further strengthened in your understanding of teachings in
God’s Word and be no more as babes, but matured disciples of Christ.
The prosperity gospel is a false gospel that will lead you astray!
It teaches nothing but worldly principles and treating God as some
vending machine. And all you’re in fact doing when you give to the
church (or sow, as they call it), is buying some lottery ticket that
says “God shall bless me when I give more to the building fund” (thank
you, Deborah, for sharing this analogy).
If you are from City Harvest Church, or even from another church,
and are truly concerned, then pray for Kong Hee to wake up from his
delusion, repent, and start preaching God’s Word instead of the
prosperity gospel.
I shall also pray that you shall learn to discern and seek to study
the Bible and learn what God teaches about the Christian life, instead
of listening to the apostasy many teachers now falsely teach.
Shalom Aleichem.
Posted by by Isaiah at 10:35 GMT.
Filed under: Christianity
Tags: City Harvest Church, English Standard Version, ESV, Goals, King James Version, KJV, Kong Hee, New Living Translation, NLT, Prosperity Gospel

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will never want to use the words which you used to describe Kong Hee and his local church - apotasy, fiflth (can't even spell it) for the reason that it has moved from discernment (which we are all commanded to do) to judgment (which we are all commanded not to do).

Nonetheless, the fact that Kong Hee owns 13 units of Horizon Towers is an eye-opener. I recall one of the church service i attended a few years' back where he devoted about 10 to 15 minutes asking people to buy his wife's cd. And the cell groups where praying for his wife's success is an agenda. I do not want to get into an argument as to whether it is wrong or not. If you think it is right, that's your choice.

There is another mega-church in which i have more reservations.

Personally I feel that the Commissioner of Charities is highly irresponsible in not having the courage to enforce independence of board from executive role.

And the members of those churches should ask themselves, why their leader is not able to submit himself to laws that ensure honesty?

The main concern, as christians, is that if such churches have dirt, and the dirt is revealed, then many people's faith in the religion will be affected. For people are not able to differentiate local churches from chrisitianity, and consequently tar all churches with the same brush. Worse, they think the Christian God is a money god, which will be the greatest injustice ever done to the Man who told the rich man, "go, sell everything you own and give to the poor, and follow me". That Man who value the rich man for who he is, and not what he owns. That Man who cares for the poor. That Man who did not say, "sell everything you own and give to me."

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sidetrack abit...

I thought Maximilian Chua-Heng was very anti this forum? Now he is contributing! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, in a way that's why I distrust such mega churches in Singapore. Because they are not accountable, its hard to trust them. But if megachurches are treated like companies, as they usually are- which its the case in the US- then perhaps it'd be better.

I'm not opposed to people making the choice that City Harvest is their church- but when the church is more interested in the goals of money and power, then it calls into the question on whether are they interested in the Gospel, or just plainly focusing on the things that makes one more liable to sin.