• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pub Biz Plunges By 50% Woh!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Oct 12, 2008
PLAY
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Fewer party-goers - and they spend less
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->Who is in the mood to party?
Nightspots say they are starting to feel shaken.
A Sunday Times check with 10 nightclubs and bars found that most, if not all, are seeing a slowdown.
In the past week, business has declined sharply for the EZ50 nightclub and the 50s pub, both in Tanjong Pagar.
They have fewer customers, and those who come in ask for cheaper liquor. Mr Simon Kwan, owner of the two places, said earnings have plunged by over 50 per cent.
'Things are quite bad. People are more cautious in their spending,' he said.
Lifebrandz, with a stable of seven nightclubs, expects to be hit by the financial slowdown.
Already, business is slower than usual, said its Hong Kong-based chief executive Clement Lee. 'We still see the same people but they spend less,' he said.
Last week, Lifebrandz closed two of its popular nightspots - the Ministry of Sound (MOS) dance club and the chic Kandi Bar - both in Clarke Quay. It said MOS was closed for renovations.
Smaller nightclubs and bars are even more worried.
The Crazy Elephant Bar in Clarke Quay, whose clientele consists mostly of expatriates, professionals and tourists, is uncertain of what the next six months will bring.
Said outlet manager Anita Lydia: 'We've had no problems with business so far. But towards the end of the year, we don't know if tourists will still come or still spend.'
Mr Sam Nor, a partner at the Cuscaden Patio cafe pub, has noticed profits drop by roughly 30 per cent from the boom times.
He still charges $10 for a beer jug on Tuesdays to keep his regulars coming back, even though he makes little profit from this.
'I'm worried but we have to keep business going, even during tough times,' he said.
Even nightclub mogul Dennis Foo, owner of the megaclub complex St James Power Station, is cautious. He plans to deal with any slowdown by increasing staff productivity.
'We'll have to watch the beginning of next year. People may go out less and cut spending,' he said.
He said if the crisis becomes a depression, even megaclubs like his will be hit.
Finance executive Jonathan Cheng, 31, a regular party-goer, is cutting back. 'I used to go for drinks with friends every night after work. But with all this talk about a recession, I've been going for drinks only once or twice a week,' he said.

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

ho say ah ///

close down the pubs, safer for pedestrian and cyclists with those drink drivers all bankrupt and no money to pay for petrol and car loan instalment

hope deep depression, close down all pubs and nightclubs lah

close close close

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

power station cannot afford 25% increase in power close lah good

power station is for generating power not for clubbing and drinking

close down is good

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not surprised. I know a Scotsman who closed his restaurant/ bar just before this shit happened. He told me that 4 out of 5 sinkees ask for plain water instead of buying drinks to go with their meals. How can bars ever make money in sinkeeland when there aren't enough drinkers to go around. This was before the financial crisis.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hear from inside source that St James Power Station is also in serious financial trouble.

Hmm, anything with Dennis Foo at the helm I believe. St James has lost its steam after 2 years, its getting stale already. With IR coming soon, more mega pubs will fold like crazy.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm, anything with Dennis Foo at the helm I believe. St James has lost its steam after 2 years, its getting stale already. With IR coming soon, more mega pubs will fold like crazy.

You are right. Don't forget restaurants. First blow to non- IR business will be the cheap labour brought in for the IRs to cut cost. Mega pubs cannot fill their position entirely with cheap FTs because of qoatas. Whereas IRs can staff their F & B outlets entirely with $800/2 days off/ month pinoys.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's a cycle. when recession enters, entertainment joints are one of those to go. they are really at the mercy of economic flauctuations.