• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRs given equal chance in Pri 1 registration pissed off locals

temasekreview

Alfrescian
Loyal
The equal chance granted to PRs in the Primary 1 admission exercise has become a contentious issue for Singaporeans again.

It was sparked by a letter written by a Mr Eduard Tay to the Straits Times last Thursday about his son’s unsuccessful application for a place in a neighborhood school though he acknowledged that “gis chances were poor, having to vie with children registered under Phase 1A, 2A1, 2A2, 2B and first-generation permanent residents’ (PRs) children under Phase 2C.” (read letter here)

Mr Tay, who has completed his National Service, asked why these Phase 2C children are given an equal chance in Primary 1 registration. when first-generation PRs can choose not to do NS when they reach 18 by returning to their own country.

His letter brought a swift rebuttal from a PR the very next day. Mrs Sweta Agarwal justified the equal chance given to PRs because they “pay taxes and abide by Singapore’s laws”. She also issued a veiled threat that PRs may consider leaving Singapore if their children cannot get into the schools of their choice.

Mrs Agarwal’s insensitive letter triggered a massive furore among Singaporeans. Mr Jimmy Loke replied a day letter castigating Mrs Agarwal for not taking up citizenship after a lengthy six years as a PR.

Read rest of article here:

http://temasekreview.com/?p=12053

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Latest comments
PRs and allowing all kinds of FTs and FWs into SG, some with no forearm to beg and milk the honey.

Those with no forearm are beggars and they are let in not to work or contribute.

Do the MPs know about this?

Who dare to ask this in Parliament?

LTK and CST have not.

Who dare?

We wait.
Posted by: DDDTTTLLL at Tue Aug 18 10:19:25 SGT 2009

Hi,
Just to share something with you guys. I know of a reservist who is still a Malaysian who has served our NS and is still undergoing reservist just to get our PR status. I respect him a lot as he has contributed his part to our nation.

My ex-colleague who is a Malaysian earning our Singapore salary but is still living in Malaysia. Although he has to take a bike out of the congested traffic in the morning, he told me he has got no regrets as he is ensured of fat retirement funds for himself since the living cost is much lower in JB. May be we can something from my ex-colleague.
Posted by: mingsuny at Tue Aug 18 10:19:15 SGT 2009

I 'll follow law..
If I've to pay more in sending my kids to better school I'll do that...I'll work hard and do everything I can to make it possible...because thats the job of being a parent...
If I'll have to send my kids to serve for NS I'll do that...because I am not the only one doing this...

But I'll never complain...because that's not going to help...
Posted by: singhricky at Tue Aug 18 10:18:45 SGT 2009

"Government is quite fair here in providing equal oppurtunity to everyone"
========================

singhricky,

You must be either living in a cocoon or a PR or both !!!

Equal opportunity should also come with equal liability. Get those males PRs who want their kids to be admitted to govt primary schools to serve NS first. If they refuse, they can always school their kids in some international school.
Posted by: legolass at Tue Aug 18 09:48:51 SGT 2009

Lets refer to this comment by "RetnamThillainathan " "To me Swetha Agarwal looks like an ill-bred and ill-brought up person, arrogant and selfish to the core. She must remember life will not always be prosperous. A day will come when her husband may be out of job, she or her child may have serious illness. then she will realise it is not good to be arrogant.
"
I was a bit surprised to see this comment where a person instead of talking about real issues is praying for not well being of some other person who has just put some issues on board for mere a discussion. I think this is too harsh. This forum is to make discussion constructive rather than starting an abusive atmosphere. And by the way praying illness for someone's husband/children is not going to make you prosperous in anyway...

And I really do not forsee any threat to any singaporean in singapore...
Government is helping you people in anyways they can..
See the job credit scheme in the time of financial crisis..many people are on the job only because of that and the government grant given to companies....

I think when life becomes too easy...people starts complaning...rather than finding a reasons to questions like what, why and how???

Government is quite fair here in providing equal oppurtunity to everyone....you'll have to just work hard and have to earn this chance...things won't come handy everytime...
Posted by: singhricky at Tue Aug 18 09:44:16 SGT 2009

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
A great majority of Singaporeans are slackers having third world jobs with equally depotic world pay . Hanging around coffeeshops without a job and cursing the government instead of finding employment.

There is no improvement in their lifes whatsoever. Three-room flat all the way.

Government will rather let in the FT dogs . At least they are hungry. They will work hard and they will follow the system and buy an expensive flat or private apartment, at least they continously give jobs and growth to civil enginneering sector.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
A great majority of Singaporeans are slackers having third world jobs with equally depotic world pay . Hanging around coffeeshops without a job and cursing the government instead of finding employment.

There is no improvement in their lifes whatsoever. Three-room flat all the way.

Government will rather let in the FT dogs . At least they are hungry. They will work hard and they will follow the system and buy an expensive flat or private apartment, at least they continously give jobs and growth to civil enginneering sector.

What, these are the same FTs who squeeze 6 people into a 3 room rental flat to save money to send home to India/China, etc? The last thing they intend to do is get suckered into buying a flat here.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lidat... so nxt erection we oso mus gib opposition parties equal seats in pariahment lor... equal mah... fair n square... :biggrin::p