• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Prices didn't fall after midnite on CNY, so Chinatown shoppers played waiting game

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,191019,00.html?

Waiting, selling, selling, sold out
Prices didn't fall after midnight on CNY, so Chinatown shoppers played the waiting game
By Ng Wan Ching

January 28, 2009

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_NCCNY-V3E.jpg

BUY, BUY: Some Chinatown sellers didn't immediately lower the prices of their goods after midnight, but when they eventually did, the Chinese New Year goodies went fast.

AT THE stroke of midnight, which ushered in the Year of the Ox, there was much anticipation in Chinatown that prices for Chinese New Year goodies will drop.

Traditionally, that is usually what happens.

But the sellers in Chinatown this year hung on to their prices way after midnight, even as irate shoppers scolded them for 'not knowing how to do business'.

Even at 1.30am yesterday, the crowds were still very thick, and police were everywhere directing traffic.

One woman who hustled her way through the throngs, busily checking out pussy willows on sale, even bossily corralled this reporter into her search for a bargain.

I too was looking, but in a more leisurely fashion, and it did not matter if I didn't get any bargains.

But the lady persisted.

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_NCCNY-L3F.jpg

'Me and her, we take four bunches of pussy willows for $8 each,' she told the man selling the plants on behalf of his boss.

'Cannot. $11 each,' he said flatly.

She tried again: 'Your pussy willows are so tall, I would have to cut them. Otherwise, how to fit into my Mercedes-Benz?'

'I cut for you, no charge for cutting,' said the man.

'So $8 each and you cut for us,' said the woman.

'No, cannot,' said the man.

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_NCCNY-B05.jpg

LITTLE NONYAS, BIG FANS: Ten little and not-so-little Nonyas from the Lee and Ang families celebrating Chinese New Year with a nod to a favourite local TV show, The Little Nyonya. TNP PICTURES: MOHD ISHAK

'Haiyah, it's already 1am, you don't know how to do business,' she said and stalked off.

Elsewhere in Chinatown, vendors were pulling out boxes upon boxes of Chinese New Year goodies like love letters and hawking them at the top of their voices.

They wanted $6 per box.

There were no takers.

Everyone was still waiting for the price to drop.

Eventually the prices did, as they usually do.

For after the new year, the demand for all things Chinese New Year will plummet like recent property prices.

At 3.30am, pussy willows were going for as cheap as $3 a bunch for any takers still in the fray.

And the excitement was not only in Chinatown.

Over at the Floating Platform, the annual River Hongbao took on a different venue and perhaps a more muted response because of that.

And Singapore welcomed two little Ox babies, both born at the stroke of midnight.

Matthew Loo was born at the Thomson Medical Centre and for being first in line, his family received a $398 Risis gold-plated ox.

He also received S$8,888 cash - which will, however, have to be shared with another midnight baby born at Mount Alvernia Hospital - baby girl Tan Jing Xuan.

The money will be placed in an investment fund, managed by HSBC, with the capital and accumulated interest going to both recipients when they turn 18.

On the first day of the Chinese New Year, after all the goodies have been bought and one can start celebrating, one family here thought of a novel way of doing so.

The Ang and the Lee families in Hougang decided that all the women would dress up as Nonyas.

So 10 of them did.

'This is due to the popularity of the show (The Little Nyonya) and also to celebrate the new year. The one who thought of it was a real fan of The Little Nyonya ,' said Mr Edmund Sng, a cousin-in-law of the women, referring to MediaCorp's hit drama serial.

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Prices didn't fall after midnite on CNY, so Chinatown shoppers played waiting gam

Those retailers are THIEVES !!

My galfren loves green tea pumpkin seeds. A walk to my neighborhood stall at Tampines bazaar, they were selling them at $2.00 per 100g !! WTF !!!

I went over to Chinatown, they were selling $7.00 per 500g, which is $1.40 per 100g !! WTF !! WTF !!

Since my galfren loves it so much. I went over to NTUC supermart and bought 5 packs of green tea pumpkin seeds at $2.15 per pack. Guess what ? Each pack is 180g and 5 pack is 900g or $10.75. Or, it is about $1.20 per 100g.

NO !! FUCK NO !! I am not illustrating this to show my pettiness. I am illustrating this to show that these fucking retailers are craps!! We should ban them and dun buy anything from them in view of the economic situation, when they still try to rip off consumers in such dire times !!

The common wisdom or belief is that these retailers buy in bulk so the cost price is lower so that they will sell to consumers at a lower price. But, FUCK, No, they sell even higher to rip off.

Granted, the stall rental is high. So, when consumers stop buying, these retailers will not rent the stalls, and Peter Loh of the fucking Chinatown committee can keep all the fucking stalls for himself !!!

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Prices didn't fall after midnite on CNY, so Chinatown shoppers played waiting gam

And they wonder what happened to the crowd this year...:rolleyes:

Everything that I needed could be gotten at nearby town centres and there were bargains around too! Nothing interesting these days at China Town. How to draw the crowd?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

She tried again: 'Your pussy willows are so tall, I would have to cut them. Otherwise, how to fit into my Mercedes-Benz?'

Another chinky/sinkie spin again. to show others that sinkies are rich.. Why a country that proclaim to the world that they are first world like to do shallow things like that.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why thronged the crowd to bargain for items we do not need after CNY. Cheap or not cheap they still cost money which can be saved for rainy day to buy 3 meals a day. Especially flowers, they wither very fast and is like throwing money into the air and let it blow away. Some pastries became soft after left for a few days and many other stuff that are not very healthy to our body if taken too much . I still don't quite get the rationale of people having to spend excessively during festive days.

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal

Another chinky/sinkie spin again. to show others that sinkies are rich.. Why a country that proclaim to the world that they are first world like to do shallow things like that.

That woman really has no class. Does she need to proclaim to the world she drives a Mercedes? And on top of it, she is so cheapskate.

IMO, these retailers and shoppers deserve each other. :rolleyes:

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal

That woman really has no class. Does she need to proclaim to the world she drives a Mercedes? And on top of it, she is so cheapskate.

Cheapskate driver. Mingling with the crowd.
I will buy early missing the crowd and earlier so that my home can be decorated on time for visitors. The rest is staying at home all the way.

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Those retailers are THIEVES !!

My galfren loves green tea pumpkin seeds. A walk to my neighborhood stall at Tampines bazaar, they were selling them at $2.00 per 100g !! WTF !!!

I went over to Chinatown, they were selling $7.00 per 500g, which is $1.40 per 100g !! WTF !! WTF !!

Since my galfren loves it so much. I went over to NTUC supermart and bought 5 packs of green tea pumpkin seeds at $2.15 per pack. Guess what ? Each pack is 180g and 5 pack is 900g or $10.75. Or, it is about $1.20 per 100g.

The Bencoolen at Bugis is selling only @$7 per kg. Anyway, you can always walk away if you dun agree with their pricing.

Recently, i went to NTUC to buy some bottles of chili sauce. I notice an increase in price by 40%, so i went to another supermarket which is even worse selling at $1.55. Eventually, i bought at my neighbourhood provision shop at only $1.

CENWEN

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sheng Siong is the cheapest in general if compared with NTUC.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

IMO, these retailers and shoppers deserve each other. :rolleyes:

The funny thing is, rich means able to spend, then why is she trying to bargain. Dun understand leh...

Sinkie behavior highlighted during chinese new year.

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal

My spending this Chinese New Year :

1) Hong Bao for children : S$30 (Wife no need :-))
2) 18 cans of CocaCola + some makan S$ 50
3) New 2 dollars note : S$500 ( After exchange, might be more, might be less)
4) No new clothing, No ChinaTown walkwalk, no bus fare, taxi fare.
5) New year decoration : S$20
Total spending for this chinese new year : S$600 exactly

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal

Well done kchunjeng, we soon stepping fast into the stone age !

Not in a bad way or good way but a sure way ....

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

... Prices didn't fall after midnight on CNY, so Chinatown shoppers played the waiting game ...
so ... shopkeepers blinked 1st ...

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal

You should read the whole text and not just quote the "blue" portion..... I still have the "red" portion.....

The Bencoolen at Bugis is selling only @$7 per kg. Anyway, you can always walk away if you dun agree with their pricing.

Recently, i went to NTUC to buy some bottles of chili sauce. I notice an increase in price by 40%, so i went to another supermarket which is even worse selling at $1.55. Eventually, i bought at my neighbourhood provision shop at only $1.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

NO !! FUCK NO !! I am not illustrating this to show my pettiness. I am illustrating this to show that these fucking retailers are craps!!

yeah! always blame others!!

that's the buddha way!

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal

You should read the whole text and not just quote the "blue" portion..... I still have the "red" portion.....

Yes, i did. My point is you can always walk away if you dun agree with the price. There is no nid for you to curse and swear. You are free to choose where you want to spend yr money and they should be free to set their own pricing.