• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Preparing for the "lockdown on Internet freedom"

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Preparing for the "lockdown on Internet freedom"

OK people, many of you have been stockpiling food, fuel, and ammmo, but how many have started stockpiling information yet? We are used to thinking of the Interent as a source of infinite info, but I sense the "end of the internet as we know it" is coming much faster than most expect.

More and more people are "waking up" to reality through the net these days. They are realizing that the straight media is propaganda and worthless garbage. Their faith in the old institutions and ways of thought has been badly rattled by the events of the past year, and they are casting about on the Net. I'm seeing it everywhere, people opening their eyes, starting to ask questions, starting to look for new answers.

This is truly a wonderful thing, but unfortunately it comes with a serious price: As the people "wake up," the powers that be are also "waking up" to the fact that the credibility of the straight media has been shaken, and they don't like it. Not one bit. So they are going to do what they do best: Take a basically free system, muscle their way in, and ruin it.

Like everything else, the change is happening now and its happening fast. I used to see a couple "the internet is getting less free" stories a month. Now I'm seeing them every day. They are ramming through legislation to box us in. They are going to come at us from every angle, from "hate speech" and political correctness to taxes and service fee hikes to higher barriers to setting up websites to crackdowns on the amount of info available. Its coming down fast.

So what you have to do now is PREPARE FOR THIS by DOWNLOADING and SAVING the info you want. PLEASE NOTE: I am in no way, shape, or form suggesting that anyone do anything illegal or pirate any content. But I AM suggesting that you start saving all the valuable information you can LEGALLY. Take what is freely offered when you can, pay for what you have to pay for. Do what you've got to do. But GET THE INFO, ORGANIZE IT. Burn CD-ROMs, get an extra hard drive, whatever.

You need a focus. To me, films and video material is simply too big and clunky to work with. I'm focusing on BOOKS. E-books, PDFs, free versions of ancient classics. I'm building a personal digital library that, when I'm done with it, will hopefully be as large and impressive as a major library in a city. I'm focusing on NON-FICTION, classics, stuff like that. Especially eclectic stuff, edge topics, fringe stuff...the gems of the "alternative world," from medieval grimoires and ancient Gnostic texts to today's alt news commentary.

You may choose to focus on a different area or areas, but the point is this: STOP ASSUMING THE "GOOD STUFF" will just sort of "always be there." Become a librarian. Its fun. Do it safe, do everything legal and above-board, but DO IT NOW, STARTING TODAY. Because one day sooner than you think, a lot of the info you take for granted