• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pregnant, but no reserved seat in sight

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Pregnant, but no reserved seat in sight
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->IN THE first three months of my pregnancy, I experienced giddiness, nausea and other symptoms. And like many working women, I had to take public transport to work.
Naturally, the first instinct when I boarded a train was to look for an available seat. However, as my pregnancy was not yet obvious at the time, I refrained from taking the reserved seat meant for the elderly, the disabled and adults with children.
Now that I am in my sixth month and visibly pregnant, I am still unable to get a reserved seat when I travel by public transport.
What are public transport operators doing to help commuters like me? Or is our civic education process lacking? Choo Hua Pao (Ms)

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Thanks for getting me a seat, stranger
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->LAST Thursday evening, I boarded an MRT train on the North-South Line from Raffles Place.
I am almost eight months pregnant. When I got on the train, all the seats were taken up and no one was looking in my direction. I went to lean against the glass panel. Very soon, the train was filled with the evening peak-hour crowd.
A gentleman, wearing a short-sleeved, light blue shirt and carrying a backpack, was standing in front of me. Not long after the train started to move, the gentleman knocked on the glass panel, separating me and a woman, who looked to be in her 30s and was seated, and asked her to give her seat up for me.
Although I had to get down from the train after two stops, I certainly welcomed the rest. I am grateful to this gentleman for his initiative.
Thank you from this mother to-be. Chang Hsin Hwee (Mrs)

diversifyx2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont worry, SMRT is coming up with "RESERVE" Seats instead of priority seats, able person sit on it will be subjected to a fine of not more than $500 SGD and this sign come with 4 language so no excuse when one claim that they dont know.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You expect the rest of Singapore to stop working and functioning just when you are pregnant !

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Pregnant, but no reserved seat in sight

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->IN THE first three months of my pregnancy, I experienced giddiness, nausea and other symptoms. And like many working women, I had to take public transport to work.
Naturally, the first instinct when I boarded a train was to look for an available seat. However, as my pregnancy was not yet obvious at the time, I refrained from taking the reserved seat meant for the elderly, the disabled and adults with children.
Now that I am in my sixth month and visibly pregnant, I am still unable to get a reserved seat when I travel by public transport.
What are public transport operators doing to help commuters like me? Or is our civic education process lacking? Choo Hua Pao (Ms)

1) she can try taking the 1st train to work, at 5 plus..:biggrin:

2) earn more $ to buy car

3) ask hubby to earn more $ to buy car

4) change hubby

jw5

Loyal
1) she can try taking the 1st train to work, at 5 plus..:biggrin:

2) earn more $ to buy car

3) ask hubby to earn more $ to buy car

4) change hubby
I would personally give up my seat on public transport to a pregnant woman. But I don't have a problem with those who don't. I do have a problem with those who don't give up their seats to the elderly and disabled.
Before the pregnant woman complains about the transport authorities or civic education, why doesn't she ask these 2 questions:
1. Did I choose to be pregnant knowing that I would be taking public transport?
2. Can I discuss this with my husband who made me pregnant?

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would personally give up my seat on public transport to a pregnant woman. But I don't have a problem with those who don't. I do have a problem with those who don't give up their seats to the elderly and disabled.
Before the pregnant woman complains about the transport authorities or civic education, why doesn't she ask these 2 questions:
1. Did I choose to be pregnant knowing that I would be taking public transport?
2. Can I discuss this with my husband who made me pregnant?

kudos to u for having a good heart..:smile:

but pregnant no one give seat then lan lan lah.. must still bother to write to complain?? very funny mentality leh.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You expect the rest of Singapore to stop working and functioning just when you are pregnant !

She should hang a sign that says.. I HAVE BEING FUCKED, & NOW PREGNANT..our mothers of yesteryears..walked for miles laden with child in the hot sun...sit on bullock cart..trishaws, rickshaws...just three months pregnant and want all the commuters to give way, give up seats...geez!...what a whiner...tell hubby buy a car lah!..everyday can fecth her to work & home..and vcarry her upstairs & downstairs...:rolleyes:

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually the real question is, instead of she taking the initiative to ask the people for a seat, she expected strangers to either ask on her behalf OR the authorities to have a system where there will be an electric shock emitted to those sitting on the Priority Seats everytime it senses a standing preggy lady within 5m radius.....:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
kudos to u for having a good heart..:smile:

but pregnant no one give seat then lan lan lah.. must still bother to write to complain?? very funny mentality leh.
Exactly bro, that's why I think she should first ask herself those 2 questions.
Then if she still decides to take public transport, have the courage to ask for a seat.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually the real question is, instead of she taking the initiative to ask the people for a seat, she expected strangers to either ask on her behalf OR the authorities to have a system where there will be an electric shock emitted to those sitting on the Priority Seats everytime it senses a standing preggy lady within 5m radius.....:biggrin:

Electric shock!..might wake up all the male commuter, 'dinosaurs'..you won't want the 'dinosaurs' to stand up & salute the pregnant ladies..don't you?:biggrin: and the 'kon lung' will pui nua..( spit! white sa li va)!!:biggrin::biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Hahaha, I like the shock system. :smile:
But seriously though, why can't she ask politely for a seat?
I have seen a few cases of people giving up their seats and have seen many cases of people not giving up their seats. But I have yet to see one case of someone asking politely for a seat. Is she afraid of rejection?

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think the other commuters scare to approach pregnant-looking ladies to offer their seats..

what if she is not pregnant, just fat.. very paiseh one u know..:biggrin:

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
Electric shock!..might wake up all the male commuter, 'dinosaurs'..you won't want the 'dinosaurs' to stand up & salute the pregnant ladies..don't you?:biggrin: and the 'kon lung' will pui nua..( spit! white sa li va)!!:biggrin::biggrin:

This one largi worse, how to give up seat to stand up with a "HARD-ON"???:eek::biggrin: must wear those big fat shapeless hip hop pants so to hide the dinosaur....:biggrin:

Snipeshot08

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha, I like the shock system. :smile:
But seriously though, why can't she ask politely for a seat?
I have seen a few cases of people giving up their seats and have seen many cases of people not giving up their seats. But I have yet to see one case of someone asking politely for a seat. Is she afraid of rejection?

Maybe the irony is, she rather ask somebody to help her ask that fella to give up his seat.......:rolleyes::p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think the other commuters scare to approach pregnant-looking ladies to offer their seats..

what if she is not pregnant, just fat.. very paiseh one u know..:biggrin:

You have a point there!..hard to tell some time bewteen a fat one & a pregnant one...

request to rub the belly..before offering the seat lah! :biggrin:

Evo888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Clueless as to why Singaporeans have to whine about anything and everything...even down to getting a seat in the MRT..

My view is in consensus with a couple of others here:
if you preggy peeps really find pregnancy so tough and a big chore - you can either:
- take a cab
- drive
- don't get pregnant at all

getting yourself pregnant is a matter of your personal choice - nobody else owes u anything..being pregnant doesn't give u the rights to boss everyone else around...why must you blame others for not giving up their seats to you? did the others ask u to get pregnant? are other people responsible for making you pregnant?

the world doesn't owe u a thing just because you are pregnant...everyone else pays good money to travel on the mrt...and i suppose that the seats serve commuters on a "first come first serve" basis - and therefore whoever gets to sit should sit and enjoy the ride...what's so wrong about that?

nobody said preggy peeps must travel on public transport?