• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRC FTrash Cyclists Ram @ Pedestrians!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Sep 28, 2008
Your letters
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Reckless cyclists a road menace
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I refer to last Sunday's letter, 'Have right of way? Think 'give way'', by Mr David Wang.
I cannot agree more with him that motorists must give way to pedestrians at pedestrian crossings, but I have to differ on the view that drivers should also give way to cyclists at such crossings.
I have been driving for more than 35 years. For the past few years, I have come across more and more cyclists zooming across zebra crossings, oblivious to the fast-moving traffic.
The trouble is that the motorists may not be able to stop in time for them, as the cyclists often appear suddenly.
I have encountered three such incidents involving reckless cyclists in the last few months - all three riders appeared to be from China.
As more foreigners come to Singapore to live and work, this kind of road behaviour will become a serious problem.
As many of these foreigners may not understand English, there should be campaigns and public-education programmes in Chinese to tell these cyclists to stop at pedestrian crossings, and push their bicycles across.
Also, they should be fined if they fail to do so. Matthew Yeo