• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Policyholders underpaid?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Aug 6, 2009
TRANSPARENCY IN INSURANCE
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Policyholders underpaid?
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->THE report last Friday, 'Insurance funds need more transparency', is a good start. But there is more.
We have invested more than $60,000 per household in whole life and endowment policies.
The money goes into a huge policyholders' fund at each life insurance company. We know little about the fund or how the money is invested.
It is very different from buying a unit trust, where you get a certain number of units in proportion to your ownership in the fund. These units amount to the fund's net asset value or NAV. It is updated and published daily.
Policyholder funds have the same concept but use the term 'asset share' instead of NAV.
Another difference is insurance companies do not disclose the asset share. This makes it easy for insurers to underpay policyholders without them knowing it. Insurers acknowledge this happens with early surrender policies, but do not say if it also happens with policies held to maturity.
As the rightful owners are policyholders who have left the fund - and supposedly cannot be found - it is called 'orphaned money' or money without a home.
Underpayments to policyholders accumulate over the years, and are now huge. Aviva in Britain made a distribution of $2.7 billion last year. In that case, policyholders got 70 per cent of the money and Aviva kept 30 per cent. The company claimed that legally, it could have kept it all.
That is one way insurers benefit from orphaned money. Another is earning a risk-free 10 per cent on the income it generates.
A third way is to provide a buffer to absorb losses in case of a market downturn. It means the fund avoids dipping into tier 1 capital, which is largely stockholders' money.
Officially, the rationale for holding orphaned money is different: It provides a buffer for policyholders to avoid bonus cuts in downturns. Not correct. Insurers typically cut bonuses in downturns - like now - while the orphaned money keeps growing.
Singapore insurers disclose nothing about orphaned money. We do not know how much there is or where insurers keep it. Does it remain in the policyholders' fund or has it been transferred to stockholders?
Larry Haverkamp

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Protect investors in financial products
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->WHILE I applaud Great Eastern (GE) Life's offer to return investors their money for one of its financial products ('GE offers to return $250m', last Saturday), my recent experience with GE was not so positive.
I bought an insurance/investment product sold by GE in March last year. While I take full responsibility for the decision to invest in this product, I was surprised that when the premium came up for renewal this year, I received no information from GE on the performance of the investment component or advice on whether to continue with the investment or sell out.
GE merely asked for the premium to be paid. Using common sense, I decided it was time to pull out, and I subsequently discovered that the investment component had lost about 60 per cent of its original value.
I do not blame GE for the 60 per cent loss, but I am disappointed that it sent a reminder of payment of the premium rather than advice to pull out altogether.
There needs to be radical improvement in the protection given to investors in financial products. Perhaps a start would be to ensure that the Financial Advisers Act (FAA) applies to all financial institutions in Singapore.
The FAA does not apply to investors outside Singapore, and as for the rest of us, the banks need only write to the Monetary Authority of Singapore to receive full exemption from the Act.
How many banks have availed themselves of this right? I have no idea if GE is bound by the FAA, but it should be.
All financial institutions should meet minimum standards on advising clients on investments.
Peter Wadeley