• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Peranakan group in NDP

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks to The Little Nonya drama...

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_402352.html

Peranakan group in NDP
Ethnic community will make history with its first NDP contingent
By Feng Zengkun

zkndp13.jpg

Mr Richard Tan (seated) and family (from left) Athanatius Ooi, Mr Colin Yam, Ms Daisy Yam, Mr Ivan Goh, Ms Rosalind Goh and Janet Ooi (far right). -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

THE Main Wayang Company will make history this year, representing Peranakans in their first National Day Parade contingent. The group will present a song and dance item.

For artistic director Richard Tan, 53, the achievement from the group's debut is not just professional, but also deeply personal.

To find out why this is so means tracing the story of how he - often insecure about his ethnic identity as a teenager - came to set up a company to promote all things Peranakan in 2005.

He said: 'When I was growing up, Peranakans were seen as very OCBC.' The derogatory term is short for Orang Cina bukan Cina, a Malay phrase that means 'Chinese but not Chinese'.

His only Peranakan role models were his two grandmothers. He said: 'When I was a boy, we used to cook together. But when I got older, I didn't want to do things with them. I wanted to be like my friends.' His grandmother even chided him once for having forgotten his culture.

It was not until he was in his late 20s that he experienced a conversion. The catalyst for this rethink: An old family photograph. He said: 'It was of my grandparents' generation. Everyone was dressed in a Western three-piece suit, or traditional baju panjang or baju lok chuan.'

Fascinated by its history, Mr Tan took baby steps to relearn his roots. This led eventually to the founding of the Main Wayang Company, which shares the Peranakan Baba culture and heritage through shows, events, music, fashion and lifestyle activities.

But even before this, he had done enough to earn back his grandmothers' respect. When one of them died, he and his siblings each received a bag filled with her possessions.

He shelved his. It was not until 'donkey years later' that he went through the items and found two traditional coin purses his family had looked for in vain. Mr Tan said: 'It really was a holy moment to realise she had intended them for me. I broke down and started crying.'

The belief that Peranakan culture will survive through time is what Mr Tan hopes to inspire in others.

Read the full story in Monday's edition of The Straits Times

[email protected]

Stage 5

Alfrescian
Loyal
lanjiao wats with this overkill of peranaknn culture???

I agreed, everywhere you turn now they shove it in your face.

If people were really interested in real 'AUTHENTIC' peranakunt culture,.. they can just drop by Everitt road in Joo Chiat and watch the CHAN family! :smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's peranakan culture? It's simply Chinese-Malay intermarriage. It's been a death-sentenced culture since the mass conversion of Malays in Malaya and Singapore to Islam. There's some nostalgic value in remembrance of the culture, the legacy in food and costumes etc. However, it's dying and breathing it's last few breaths and soon will be completely dead and part of history. There're no more newborn true peranakan.